• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Artist/builder Feedback

Will_em

One Of Us, One of Us
Credits
XP
Builder Feedback

For the many people struggling with their builds, their rank application for artist or with architecture in general, here is your solution. I'm starting the feedback thread up again but for those of you who don't know how this goes, a short description.

If you want to get some feedback from either me or another staff, you can post your artist application or the imgur/minus/whatever album of your build(s). We'll check out the pictures and if necessary check out the build ingame and then post some tips/tricks here for everyone to see and learn from it. These things will not be tips that are set in stone but rather guidelines from experienced people. I would also ask to everyone to not post confusing or contradictory things because it can get confusing pretty fast. The feedback is also honest and maybe a bit harsh if you can't take a lot of critique (not that we rant the people into the ground).
Please also try to read the tips intended for other persons because they can hold great tips or tricks that you might not have thought about in your building.

A while back, I also made a builderschool on the freebuild server of mcme. Warp builderschool to check it out. DON'T BREAK ANYTHING THERE. Type /gm 0 to go into another gamemode where you can't break stuff that easily. If you do break stuff, tell a staff or pm me on the forums.
Together with this post I'll give updates on the builderschool on freebuild. Anyone can give suggestions on here for the builderschool and discuss it in general.

TIP Number 1:
For your imgur album for your artist application, you should try to make different sub-folders for each theme build or regular build. That way it is more organized to check out, read and evaluate the person on their skills. I say regular builds because it is a nice extra if the staff can check out other cool builds to further see what the person is good at. The extra sub-folders are really useful to distinguish what the different theme builds are and what is an extra build.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay klemens but here is it:

Meduseld:
Seems like a pretty decent build. Your general structure and interior are really well placed and well spread out, the only thing I can add to this would be to think a little bit more about details.
Several pictures are also a bit weird with little to nothing to see at all, like the staircase picture taken from above. It's really well placed but why add it since there isn't really much in it and you already have another staircase picture.
The picture of the room with the small chair and desk would best illustrate what I mean with little details. If you look at the room it's very well placed and I wouldn't add anything else except that it looks really bland and monotone. Try placing a painting to break up the colours, find another texture for something, make the desk out of piston heads and make it two blocks wide, add some light etcetera. I think you need to try to add small little details that break up the monotone feel of some areas.
In the main hall try to avoid putting 4 pillars on one and connecting it with a stair block. It looks a bit weird and wouldn't be logical as a support.
I think you're close to the artist level but not yet there.
Lake Town:
This build is pretty cool and very well executed. The houses are flawless and the interior is really well thought of, great job! To amp up the epic-factor of it I might have place the buildings closer together and make some laundry lines or something similar in height, just to get some extra out of it. Again use piston heads for tables! Be careful with putting barrels in the walls, they're supposed to just be barrels and not a wall thing.
Also it looks a bit bland on the colours again and you really have to think of changing some things with different blocks so it's not all brown or beige in your build. A bit the same thing as with the meduseld build but the meduseld is a bit more lacking in details.
I'd say that this is artist level and probably your best build of all four.
Bagend:
Exterior is really good maybe change the block for doors cause they're supposed to be footprints.
The interior is empty, it's really a shame that you didn't add more to it as you have a lot a space to work with and can add a million things. Don't neglect the inside!
Forgotten village:
Pretty well done, one of the better forgotten villages that I've seen. Try to use faceless logs though when designing custom trees. It is a good build but not a will-blow-you-away-build, which regarding the topic, isn't easy to create but I think you could have thought out of the box and come up with a different design for the village. It seems everyone goes with a forgotten hobbit village but not something completely different.
I like the wedge for the water flow too.

I need help with Gondor walls. Whenever I make a fortress wall, city wall, or anything of that nature out of the Marble (Nether)Brick, I can't seem to figure out what to do beyond a blank white wall. Beyond crenellations on the ramparts, I completely draw a blank on this kind of thing, especially if the wall is curved. Please help!
http://imgur.com/a/V3SeI

hey ! this is the link to my Forannest ThemedBuild : http://djax74.imgur.com/
I think I'll add pictures of my osgo houses and some personnal contribution to the Moria Project on Freebuild but this tb is a my central build !

I need help with Gondor walls. Whenever I make a fortress wall, city wall, or anything of that nature out of the Marble (Nether)Brick, I can't seem to figure out what to do beyond a blank white wall. Beyond crenellations on the ramparts, I completely draw a blank on this kind of thing, especially if the wall is curved. Please help!
http://imgur.com/a/V3SeI
One tip I can give you is to tear up the archway of the door. What I mean with that is, that you can make the archway bigger and have several concentric around the doorway. This give a lot more depth and detail to any door/wall. Second is to start with some layers and support structures. Try implementing a realistic support with half pillars, half arches, base support feet, and so on. If you check out the fornost wall you'll see that it also has a sort of groundlayer support foot that sort of holds the wall together.
Other than that, there isn't really more I can tell you to do. Walls are tricky to pull of and even I don't know what to do with them occasionally. Try implementing depth but don't overdo it, otherwise your wall will look crooked.