• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Cancelled Agar and Udul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mithrilled

Another Moria Worker
Commoner
Credits
XP
-- Agar and Udul revamp --

Introduction
Agar and Udul are two small villages situated on green hills in a region called Enedhwaith, relatively close to the Great Sea. They are talked about in the story of Tal-Elmar, who lived in Agar as the seventeenth child of Hazad Longbeard. The story was never finished during Tolkien's lifetime, which leaves it open for much interpretation. These villages and their terrain are now quite old and outdated, and we would like to give some love to some of the lesser known regions of Middle Earth as well. My intent is to redo some of the old terrain and revamp the villages to make them more in line with our current standards and style.

Progress and status
Approximate overall progress percentage: 5%
Current state: Terrain

Lore
As said before, not much is told about these villages;
Agar was said to be a region of green hills, about three leagues (about 14.5 km) from the shores of the shores of the Great Sea, and closer to the sea than Udul, which was more inland than Agar.

This passage also gives some vague description of the surrounding area:
"On a morning in Spring, while standing on top of a green hill above Agar with his father, Tal-Elmar was the first one to spot four Númenórean ships on the Great Sea. The two rushed to the town-master Mogru to give him the news, for the Go-hilleg, as Númenóreans were called, were greatly feared. After a mocking speech, the town-master agreed to follow them on that hill but did not see the ships for they had come to near the shore and were hidden by hills. In an attempt to endanger Tal-Elmar he sent him towards the shore, as a scout. From the distance Tal-Elmar observed the four ships, until he gained courage and marched their way." (Tolkien Gateway)

"… in the earlier days, at the time of the first explorations of the Númenóreans, ... Minhiriath and Enedwaith were occupied by vast and almost continuous forests, except in the central region of the Great Fens." Due to the cutting of the forests by the Númenóreans "In the time of the War of the Ring the lands were still in places well-wooded, especially in … the south-east of Enedwaith; but most of the plains were grassland."
Unfinished Tales, Part 2, Ch IV, The History of Galadriel and Celeborn, Appendix D, The Port Of Lond Daer

It was inhabited by "the remnants of the Dunlendings [who] lived in the east in the foothills of the Misty Mountains; and a fairly numerous but barbarous fisher-folk dwelt between the mouths of the Gwathló and the Angren (Isen).
Unfinished Tales, Part 2, Ch IV, The History of Galadriel and Celeborn, Appendix D, The Port Of Lond Daer
This passage leads me to believe that the people in these villages were also Fisher-folk, which I will come back to later.

In UT there is a reference to "tribes of 'Wild Men', fishers and fowlers, on the coasts of Enedwaith, who were akin in race and speech to Drúedain of Anórien."
Unfinished Tales, Part 4, Ch I, The Drúedain Note 13
This would mean that these people are indeed the same people in the Drúedain forest in Anorien, which work starts on hopefully soon. This also means these inhabitants of the village were skilled hunters and scouts and were short people, as is told in the Unfinished Tales, Part 4, Ch 1, The Drúedain.

Plans and map
Schermafbeelding 2021-04-16 om 22.27.09 kopie.png
The area marked in yellow will be the area where I will be redoing the terrain. These will not have a forest on them, as is explained above, but some trees may look nice, see the concept pictures below. I have chosen these locations of the towns as it's about the correct distance from the sea, converted to our scale of course. Some of the rivers will also be redone to fit in better with what will be the new terrain. On the islands to the West there will be 1 or 2 small fishing settlements (just consisting purely of what was needed to fish).

Concept pictures
1618671495633.png
1618671910163.png
1618672095901.png
1618672182181.png
1618672265375.png
1618672834117.png
1618672958321.png

1618673069211.png

Thanks for reading, and I will try to update this post every once in a while

Looking very forward to these hills :O
Please get a proper source instead of that Tolkien Gateway reference :p

I was inspired when Mithrilled announced this project so I made a concept for Agar and Udul as part of my old artist application. Should the project be re-started again at some point in the future, and I hope it is because it's a really interesting little corner of the map, then here's some ideas. Note it was built a while ago in the now old Gondor RP so no doubt some things could look much better now. Just thought I'd pop it in here nonetheless. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.