1. Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide
    Dismiss Notice

A few ideas.

Discussion in 'Engineering Bay' started by ryttyr, May 19, 2017.

1. ryttyr

ryttyr Aspiring Commoner

Hello developers.
    I've got a few ideas for minor functions that would be kinda cool to have on the server.
    Now I'm not sure whether this is the place where I'm supposed to bring up such ideas or not and if it's not please redirect me there ;)

Now the ideas I have is mostly related to plugins and such so that's why I’m posting it here.

Idea 1: /warp random (or something along those lines). This is the one I'd like to see implemented the most of all of my ideas here. A command that warps you to a random warp location preferably a random public warp location on the build map specifically, if that's possible.

Idea 2: /ptime realtime. A ptime command that sets your personal time to the time of your current system (and preferably updates it every few minutes to keep it concistent with your local time). This is just a fun little thing and I understand if it's practically impossible to do.

Idea 3: some way to mute fireworks. I know that meny Commoners and Artists and maybe even an Enforcer or two likes to play with fireworks from time to time and since fireworks only cause lag in extreme cases or on the lowest end PCs I find it kinda endearing if it weren't for the annoying sound they make when spammed.

Idea 4: bring back /walk. I don't know why it's gone (and it might already be back as I haven't tried it in a while) but could you bring it back? Because I kinda liked it. It was nice to be able to slow down and take a casual walk without having to sneak around.

Idea 5: I know this is an uppcoming donnor perk but could you make non-donnor players able to sit too? Or maybe have a commond that can specify a block in the world as an sitable object? So for instance a blocks used as a seat in chairs could be marked as sittable. Okay that might be asking too much.

Most of these are just sillyfun ideas and probably a bigger waste of your time than it's worth but I'd like you to especially consider trying to implement my first idea because there are soooo meny cool places on the server and most of them are probably rarely ever seen simply because it isn't a major place from the movies. A randomized warp function would allow people to experience places they might not have visited otherwise or didn't even know excisted which would make the time and effort spent on those builds that much more worthwile. That little hut or guard camp in some forest somewhere that someone have put down hard work on building might then have a chance of getting some appreciation too.

2. Eriol_Eandur

Eriol_Eandur Designer
    Staff Member Designer Developer Donor Media Team

Hey ryttyr,

I'm always happy about good ideas though my list is quite long already :p

Idea 1: Random warp is already on my list. Last week I managed to hook into the warp plugin (had a hard time with that :D). So will be available quite soon.

Idea 2: Cool idea. Put it on my list.

Idea 3: Could be hard to do. I will try.

Idea 4: That's easy. It's gone as perks plugin is broken. Will be in new perks plugin.

Idea 5: It's not a problem to make specific blocks sittable, but would left the full perk quite uninteresting. I would prefere to make the perk very easy to get. If we get synchronisation with forum trophies working we can have many different perks. This one could be for registering at the forum or first Like. But that's up to @q220.

BWOT, SirEonwe, ryttyr and 2 others like this.
  3. ryttyr

ryttyr Aspiring Commoner

Oh. One other thing I forgot to ask: why isn't the gamerule keepinventory set to true on the server? Is there a point to people loosing their items when they die?

Daddlio likes this.
  4. Eriol_Eandur

Eriol_Eandur Designer

Idk. Maybe some old config. But could have a reason.

5. TI_020601

TI_020601 Aspiring Commoner

I have a question about the real time day light cycle. If the servers scale is around 1:100(it varies) the surely having the days in real time would be too long, so would it be not be better to have daylight cycles matching the scale, if possible?

6. Eriol_Eandur

Eriol_Eandur Designer

You mean to match daylight cycle with distance you can cover within one day?

Well minecraft walking speed is about 15 km/h wich is more like an endurance run. Sprinting is not much faster in minecraft (20 km/h). So i would not try to use that as calculation base but a slower speed of 5 km/h (command /walk as requested above).

With this more realistic walking speed the day light cycle should be scaled down with the same factor as the map: 24 h / 100 = 14,4 min so the 20 min server cycle is not too bad.

You can also check with this calculation:
    Distance from Rivendell to Minas Tirith via Tharbad is about 1600 km. With minecraft sprinting speed (20 km/h) and no breaks this should take you 80 hours so about 3 days. Three days on the server are about one hour real time which is not so far from the time you actually need. I guess you would need more time so the day cycle of the server is even too quick.

A real journey from Rivendell to Minas Tirith takes much longer ofc. With heavy luggage even 5 km/h is quite quick and most people don't walk for more than 8 hours. With 30 km a day the journey would take more than 50 days. Boromir needed in the opposite direction 110 days but for him large parts of his journey, from the Gap of Rohan onwards was in hostile (e.g. Dunlendings) or wilderness terrain.

B_n, BWOT, SirEonwe and 2 others like this.
  7. Finrod_Amandil

Finrod_Amandil Head Designer
    Staff Member Head Designer Designer Donor Media Team

An input to the random warp command: As this mainly would be used for exploring finished places I would suggest that the command only takes out of a pool of warps that lead to finished locations. It may be doable by reserving warps that start with a capital letter for permanent warps on the build map / moria and that all plotbuild and temporary warps are written in lowercase.

mandolore100, B_n, Artale and 4 others like this.
  8. KinkySauron

KinkySauron Developer
    Developer

Idea 1: This isn't too tough to make, I'll definitely look into it with Eriol. Do you think it'd be better to teleport them to a random location or a random warp?

Idea 2: This seems like something useful, I've no clue how to do it but I'll look into it for sure.

Idea 3: This is more player-side so it'd be something we'd have to somehow add to resource packs, but I'm not too sure a plugin could achieve this.

Idea 4: Sounds awesome :) I'll let Eriol handle this one since I'm guessing it used to be a thing on MCME before I joined.

Idea 5: This is a pretty simple thing as well, I can have it done pretty soon :)

9. ryttyr

ryttyr Aspiring Commoner

Thanks for the reply Kinky. Eriol has already said he'll be looking into these ideas so I suggest talking with him.

The "warp to random warp location" aspect have Eriol already been working on and he told me that we could see it implemented soon.
    However the "teleport to random location" sounds interesting. Whilst you most likely would end up in the middle of the wilds most of the time it could still be quite a fun feature to have.

The realtime function is looked into by Eriol and whilst he, just like you, are scepltical to the possibility of muting fireworks he have put it on his to-do list as well.

Ideas 4 and 5 are apparently already part of the perks plugin and will be implemented as soon as that is implemented.

That's how I've understood things at least. I bet Eriol could tell you a lot more.

KinkySauron likes this.
  10. Eriol_Eandur

Eriol_Eandur Designer

Thanks for reminding me :D

I worked on the warps plugin last week to make it running for mc 1.12 and also fixed the broken two word warps. But I forgot about the random warp (it's on my list, but that one is long :p).

I added /warp random command that teleports you to a random warp location which name must start with an uppercase letter. It's already tested and ready to be installed at build server :)