1. Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide
    Dismiss Notice

Cross-Platform MCME? (2017-E3 Announcement)

Discussion in 'Engineering Bay' started by Veluux, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Veluux

Veluux Thrall

It's been a while since I've been around MCME... (lovely new website/forums!)

The last time I was around Edoras/Isengard were the most recently completed big builds.

Anyhow, as a Tolkien fan and Minecraft fanatic - I was wondering if the latest Minecraft announcement at E3 will open any new doors for the MCME community in terms of taking the world cross-platform.

I currently enjoy playing MCPE with my daughters on their KindleFires via Win10 edition on my PC. With the addition of importing custom worlds (including infinite-type worlds), custom texture packs, etc. - I'm seeing fewer and fewer reasons why MCME can't eventually migrate into the realm of cross platform.

At E3 this year in 2017 (June), Mojang announced that the PC Minecraft we all know and love will be permanently referred to as Minecraft: Java Edition. And a new version of "Minecraft" will be released this fall that will be 100% cross platform with Windows, iOS, Consoles (including Switch/XBox/PS), Mobile (MCPE and also Mobile-VR) will all be able to seamlessly connect - and that includes opening up this cross platform playability to Private and Public servers (not just Minecraft Realms clouds).

Since it seems like every major feature that Minecraft Middle Earth needs and utilizes (custom map importing, public & private servers/custom texture packs/etc.) are getting supported - will a migration for MCME from Minecraft: Java to the fully cross-platform Minecraft be considered?

Would love to see this amazing multi-year project become even more accessible to Tolkien Minecraft fans around the globe.

Would love to see a discussion emerge here laying out the challenges and benefits of expanding the MCME community across platforms. Feel free to share your thoughts and even your own questions on the topic!

DynoDaring and ryttyr like this.
  2. Eriol_Eandur

Eriol_Eandur Designer
    Staff Member Designer Developer Donor Media Team

Would be fantastic of make MCME open to all platforms.

But I think we have to wait and see how things go on.
    MCME is 100% vanilla client compatible so there will be no problem on this side. But we use a lot of plugins at server side. Currently MCME is running a Spigot server. If Spigot community will not support the new cross-platform minecraft it would be a huge amount of work to redo all our self-developed plugins.

3. Veluux

Veluux Thrall

After reading your response and digging in a little more, CubeCraft was specifically mentioned by Mojang as a public server that would be accessible. I'm digging into their forums and I see posts about creating/sharing custom spigot plugins (Spigot Developers Plugins).

One of the major features of big online public-private servers is their custom mods-plugin features. I imagine this is being taken into consideration and plans are in the works if they're announcing accessibility across platforms to servers well known for using custom plug-ins. Definitely will need to wait to hear more on that though.

A unified plugin manager would be great for Minecraft moving forward. In my experience with Win10 edition, they have "plug-in" like Add-Ons, Resource Packs, and Texture Packs. I would bet they're increasing the utility and modular nature of these things to make utilizing and installing these things much more user friendly (keep in mind I'm still talking Client-side, not server-side). Add-Ons for Win10 and MCPE are neat for making custom rules worlds with friends.

DynoDaring and Eriol_Eandur like this.
  4. Veluux

Veluux Thrall

As someone who primarily played on Java-edition original Minecraft ever since Alpha, and now having played for half a year on Win10 version. I find the ease of use and cross-platform features of Win10 have me playing it much more than the old Java version - even though updates still aren't quite caught up - and the add-on community is SO MUCH smaller than the well-established mod community for the Java version of MC. I feel like it will grow in time. The more people who see how awesome things are getting as Microsoft continues to invest into the property, and start embracing the changes and migrations, the more interconnected the entire Minecraft community will eventually become.

The ability for devices everywhere to be in "sync" was popularized by Apple, and with Microsoft embracing it too - it's only a matter of time before we start seeing more and more cross-platform friendly games, apps, and other utilities. Technological globalization of code and language has a lot of benefits to go with the cons we've always known about.

5. Indorilian

Indorilian Yellow flower puncher

The cross platform is for the windows 10 version not the original java version we use. So it's not happening unless we somehow switched to windows 10 minecraft. And since java minecraft is written in java and windows 10 minecraft is written in C++, and there is literally no program that exists to convert maps between the two, we would have to start completely over. Which will never happen unless mcme 3.0 happens and we want to rebuild literally everything from scratch.

#5 Indorilian, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  6. Veluux

Veluux Thrall

I've already played on several maps converted from MCPC (Java version) to MCPE (C++). There are various ways to convert maps over, with the major issue being missing blocks/items in one version compared to the other. When Minecraft goes fully cross platform and finally brings MCPE current to MCPC (as far as blocks/items go), the conversion will be easier then than it is now (and it is still totally doable now). Mob behavior and other ancillary data gets lost in translation - but the core block IDs and positions all survive (if the platform you're porting to has all the necessary blocks).

Unless Minecraft releases its cross-platform version this fall and it's still not caught up to or passed Minecraft Java in block/item updates - then I don't see why a conversion would be impossible or even painstaking. I'm in the process of getting Moonti's Le Monde (13k x 16k block) map converted to MCPE (which currently supports maps up to 5GB in size on its online Realms and even bigger map sizes locally).

7. Indorilian

Indorilian Yellow flower puncher

I looked into it and as of posts yesterday on different sites, yes, converters do exist for the java version to pocket edition, but a converter for java to W10 still doesn't exist at this time as far as I could find.

8. Veluux

Veluux Thrall

Win10 Edition is the "Pocket Edition" app for Windows 10. They use the same maps, and players can play cross-platform (between mobile, kindle, and Windows 10). It's basically the Cross-Platform Minecraft Alpha version. This fall will be the actual release, with significant updates, and also XBox/PS/Switch users will have their "app" replaced with the new app (which will essentially be Minecraft Pocket Edition on steroids. Win10/Mobile "Pocket Edition" is the testbed for cross platform.

No map converter exists for "Win10" because Win10 version IS the same as MC Pocket Edition for Mobile. If you can covert maps to Pocket Edition, you can play them with Win10 too. ;) I've been doing it for months. :)

Minecraft: Pocket Edition and Windows 10 Edition are the same thing

9. the_pharaohs_cat

the_pharaohs_cat Aspiring Commoner

Even though this might not be possible, VR would be really cool for exploring.

10. mapthor

mapthor Aspiring Commoner

FYI Play Station won’t be compatible if this even works out.

11. KinkySauron

KinkySauron Developer
    Developer

Even if everything was compatible, I seriously doubt a mobile device or console could handle the demand for resources.

RubenPieterMark likes this.