1. Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide
    Dismiss Notice

Lamedon

Discussion in 'Jobs and Projects' started by _Luk, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Mr_Smithz

Mr_Smithz Designer
    Staff Member Designer

Apologies for no progress. Had a small break over the past week, heading back into the project now and more specifically working on the gardens and details in the village. Hillside and farmland after that!

2. Fireinferno13

Fireinferno13 One of Us
    Donor

Alright kids lets finally finish Lamedon. Need to get out of the caves of Moria for a bit so, assuming @Finrod_Amandil @Eriol_Eandur @_Luk are all okay with me taking the reigns on the last remaining aspects of this project (to my knowledge). @_Luk I would appreciate any feedback/direction you have to give considering this was originally your project, and I would like to hold true to your vision of this valley.

I have broken down the remaining section into three areas, the work that needs to be done for each is detailed below. Unfortunately as the villages and water sources have already been completed for this region, few if any jobs will be created as a result.

Green Region
    Progress: done
    To Do:
    Hill Details
    Add Forest
    Grass/Vegetation​
    Blue Region
    Progress: 75%
    To Do:
    Mountain Terraforming
    Hill Details
    Add Forest
    Grass/Vegetation​

Purple Region
    Progress: done
    To Do:
    Grass/Vegetation​

Map
    [​IMG]

#102 Fireinferno13, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  3. Eriol_Eandur

Eriol_Eandur Designer
    Staff Member Designer Developer Donor Media Team

I stopped working on River Ciril directly East of Calembel. The rivebed needs to be reworked upstreams of that point. Also to be realistic many more sources will be necessary imo.

4. RubenPieterMark

RubenPieterMark Dirt Conaisseur
    Media Team

Idk, I think the terrain in Gondor has a bit too many sources. Wouldn't the rain water just collect and stream to the river?

5. NicTheFifth

NicTheFifth Yellow flower puncher

RPM how many water does a river catch? And how much does it need? Believe me it needs a lot more than it catches with an occasional rainfall, true, for our scale there are too many. Yet realisticaly speaking there are still few/too small sources.

6. RubenPieterMark

RubenPieterMark Dirt Conaisseur
    Media Team

Sources irl are quite a rare thing and entire settlements were sometimes built around one.

7. Eriol_Eandur

Eriol_Eandur Designer

River Ciril has 8 sources at the moment. 6 are one block one is two blocks wide and one is a lake from which a 5 blocks wide stream emerges. East of Calembel these small streams became a large river about 18 blocks wide and 4 or 5 blocks deep. I think this is very unrealistic.
    Also sources and small are very common in real world, look at this map of north-west germany:
    [​IMG]
    The Netherlands at the bottom looks very clear of small streams, but that is just as only german small streams data were used for the map. As you can see most areas are full of small streams.

#107 Eriol_Eandur, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    BWOT, SKy_the_Thunder and ryttyr like this.
  8. Fireinferno13

Fireinferno13 One of Us
    Donor

Thank you for the update Eriol - could you provide a map of what portions of the riverbed need work and where you think more water sources are necessary? It is difficult to simply jump into a project midway without proper guidance.

9. Eriol_Eandur

Eriol_Eandur Designer

I made a map at last, sorry for the long delay. Blue lines are small streams to be added. Red line marks the parts of River Ciril where I want to redo the riverbed to make it more fitting to the riverbed I made south of Calembel. I also added wool marker in midair.
    [​IMG]

Maybe @Daddlio want's to make the small streams he already made a lot of them in Lamedon.

Daddlio, BWOT and Robz like this.
  10. Fireinferno13

Fireinferno13 One of Us
    Donor

PROJECT UPDATE:

Both the green and purple sections are done. Good progress is being made in the blue section, as the valley and small village are both relatively complete at this point. My attention has now turned to voxeling and painting the remaining mountains while @Daddlio adds some river sources via jobs (yay!). Not sure how long this will take as the irl weather is very nice right now so I am far more tempted to spend time outside.

When you say "I" here in reference to who will redo the riverbed, are you referring to yourself or myself? I am happy to leave this portion of the project to you while I work on the mountains since it sounds like you have a style in mind already. If not, it can be done.

#110 Fireinferno13, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    Daddlio and BWOT like this.
  11. Eriol_Eandur

Eriol_Eandur Designer

"I want to redo" means I really like to do but I'm not sure when I'll find some time :D
    Probably next week and quite sure the week after.

Fireinferno13, Daddlio and BWOT like this.
  12. Fireinferno13

Fireinferno13 One of Us
    Donor

UPDATE: Terrain is done with the exception of the river (@Eriol_Eandur ) and river sources (@Daddlio ). Will continue to compile the remaining projects until Lamedon is done. To do:
    - grass/flower west/south of Calembel
    - remove beacons done​

One thing I have noticed is that many beacons seem to have gone missing between the Firien wood and Edoras? Not sure where they are suppose to go, how many there should be, etc? Please advise @Finrod_Amandil , @_Luk

#112 Fireinferno13, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  13. Finrod_Amandil

Finrod_Amandil Head Designer
    Staff Member Head Designer Designer Donor Media Team

We have decided to remove all beacons between Halifieren and Edoras as that's what the book lore says (it's not accurate in the movies). From Halifirien, which is at the border to Rohan, the message gets passed to a Rider which brings a symbolic Red Arrow to Edoras.

14. Fireinferno13

Fireinferno13 One of Us
    Donor

Welp in that case, I will delete the mountain paths and stations between Halifieren and Edoras done

#114 Fireinferno13, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    Daddlio and Finrod_Amandil like this.
  15. Fireinferno13

Fireinferno13 One of Us
    Donor

My work is done.

All that remains is a small river portion led by @Eriol_Eandur and some sources led by @Daddlio . Unless any oppose such a claim, I think its fair to say that Lamedon is for all intensive purposes done?

BWOT, barteldvn, Miiil and 6 others like this.
  16. Eriol_Eandur

Eriol_Eandur Designer

Lamedon is finished.

Except some weird red wool markers along the River Ciril I don't know about.

Robz, BWOT, yourie98 and 5 others like this.
  17. BWOT

BWOT Head Designer
    Staff Member Head Designer Designer

Finally ;)

barteldvn likes this.