1. Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This community does not generate revenue and relies on its members and financial contributors to keep it running.

For a complete month, we would need around 235 USD for a break-even situation.

Read more...

Dismiss Notice

Mojang is apparently banning certain donation perks on servers

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by devilius, Jun 7, 2014.

1. devilius

devilius Aspiring Commoner

2. Dallen

Dallen Yellow flower puncher

This is aimed at servers that sell VIP passes of fortune 30 diamond picks for real money. If mcme made players pay to rank up or to get the textures then it would apply. As far as I understand though, we do not apply. Our perks don't give any player an advantage in pvp/survival/other mini games we might host. I have not donated so I am not entirely aware of the abilities they have but selling perks doesn't seem to be what we are doing. Also the donations are strictly for server costs and give no personal gain to q.

3. dags_

dags_ Yellow flower puncher

The eula doesn't really target any specific scenarios, so yes it applies.
    The parts of it being talked about are aimed at preventing people selling content that Mojang have made (items, mechanics, etc), which is exactly what 'donation' perks are.

This isn't a new 'thing' really, they just re-worded some stuff for 1.7.10. Whether or not (and/or how) Mojang intend to enforce it is what seems to be up in the air at the moment, and subject to a lot of rumours/speculation.

#3 dags_, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  4. JordD04

JordD04 One of Us
    Donor

thx dev, the staff know about it.

5. WardenWolf

WardenWolf Aspiring Commoner

The only way this would apply to MCME is that, if you donate $50, you get the ability to summon and ride a horse. That said, spawning a horse out of thin air, as MCME does, is not a core Minecraft feature, so it is questionable whether it is even applicable. And horses are not particularly useful since Commoner+ has the ability to fly. It really has no implications for this server.

That being said, Mojang may not have much leg to stand on if they actually try to enforce it, as the EULA is fixed at the time the game is sold, and if it did not specifically forbid this behavior then they cannot enforce it. Plus the fact that these servers control these perks by the use of mods, which means you are knowingly not playing on a stock Minecraft server to begin with and have no expectation of the same level of quality or access. As much as I admire Mojang's intentions, I don't think it's enforceable. It would be a legal mess even if it was, and it's not worth Mojang's time or money.

6. devilius

devilius Aspiring Commoner

The problem is, MCME does give certain perks off. Only certain people, through donations, have access to horses. On a server like our this one, a horse is purely cosmetic (we give creative flight to everyone anyway) so it's not an enhancing factor, but it's definitely in the list of "things mojang added that MCME gives off as donation perks".
    The reason I could see this not being enforced on this organization is not because of the cosmetic factor, but more because of our advertisement. I probably wouldn't have really played much minecraft without MCME. I probably wouldn't have talked about it if it weren't for this server, nor would I have encouraged people to buy it.
    That, and the fact that MCME has proven to be a generally fair organization. When dealing with donations, we strickly state the perks are cosmetic. When dealing with the community, which is the thing that mojang seems to be attempting to protect, MCME has been fair and generally easy going, whilst still making it a safe environment through the moderation given by the staff.
    That and, as @WardenWolf said, it's also not conceivable to enforce this everywhere.
    I'll admit that in my first post it sounds somewhat "sensational" as if I thought MCME was a target to this affair, but everything is pointing the other direction.
    What's going to be interesting to see is thus who they do go after. They don't have unlimited manpower or rescources to go after all those damaging servers, so they might try to go for the bigger fish in that pond.

7. MaDIIReD

MaDIIReD Enforcer
    Staff Member Donor

Hypixel
    mineplex
    Other big servers with pvp and/or minigames.