NPCs for MCME

• Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide
  • This weekend 20-21 April the website will be unavailable for a few hours for a scheduled upgrade and maintenance. Estimated time that the site will be unavailable will be around 3 hours.

• This community does not generate revenue and relies on its members and financial contributors to keep it running.

For a complete month, we would need around 235 USD for a break-even situation.

Read more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dallen

Slab Fanatic
Apr 5, 2014
Dallen's tavern, Bree
dallen.io
Languages
American, Freedom
NPCs currently in:
  • Bilbo Baggins, located in Bagend
  • Treebeard, just out side his house
  • Elrond, in the meeting area of Rivendell
  • Galadriel, in the Palace of Lothl√≥rien
There following AI may also be implemented at a later date:

• Gandalf the Grey, location unset
  • Cirdan the Shipwright, in the Grey Havens after they are built that is
  • Saruman, in his throne room
  • Theoden, in his palace
  • Samwise, unset location
  • Thranduil, in Mirkwood somewhere
  • Denethor, Gondor after finished
  • Gothmog, in Mordor after finished
  • Madril, in Henneth Annun
  • Erkenbrand, in Helm's Deep
  • Imrahil, in Dol Amroth (when it's built)
  • Sauron, in the temple at mt. Doom
  • Tom Bombadil, in his house.
  • The witch king somewhere in Minas morgul.
There is also a readme for the project

Last edited:

Wodleth

Build-Hardened Veteran
Mar 1, 2014
Sweden
Languages
Swedish, English
To be honest, I don't think q would implement this plugin. It has nothing to do with our focus of building middle earth

xxLDCxx

Yellow Flower Puncher
Mar 1, 2014
What is the purpose of these NPC's? Do they communicate with players about the specific location? If so, wouldn't this make the ranger rank obsolete?

MaDIIReD

Enforcer
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
Languages
Dutch, English
What is the purpose of these NPC's? Do they communicate with players about the specific location? If so, wouldn't this make the ranger rank obsolete?
https://github.com/DonoA/MCME-Quests/blob/master/README.md

It's the readme file Dallen linked to in his second post, it should give you a clearer idea of what the plans for NPC's are.

From what I'm reading it seems like they'll add some nice interaction, and give people even more of an incentive to go around and explore. Though this does slightly overlap with the goals of ranger tours, they acheive said goals in different ways and are different experiences.

Besides, giving tours and slapping people in the face with lore is only one of the parts of being ranger. The other is to assist new players with any problems they might have, and to ease them into the community by being a welcoming individual; someone they can approach and through which they might integrate into our happy MCME family. *Glares at possible non-believers*

iru

Builds Diagonally
Donor
Mar 9, 2014
Aisle 7 (Power Tools) of Bunnings Warehouse
I don't think a few NPCs will make Rangers redundant. As MaD reiterated, they assist new players and make them transition with ease into the community. But this NPC system, if implemented well, will give players the incentive and inspiration to explore the world when Rangers aren't around. Hopefully with some play around we could implement ingame events & mini games if we change the dialogue around.

yodog_117

Dirt Conaisseur
Donor
Mar 1, 2014
'MURICA
I might be a little late for this, but could Tom Bombadil and Goldberry also become NPCs? Tom could have you find water lilies for Goldberry or something.

DSESGH

Manual Treebuilder
Mar 2, 2014
Rangers also have a lot of server knowledge to share, which the npcs obviously wouldn't have:p

Will the npcs be "physically" present, or will they just be sort of a mysterious voice? If they are visible, it would be cool to have Gandalf appear in various locations around Middle Earth, since he travels around.

Dallen

Slab Fanatic
Apr 5, 2014
Dallen's tavern, Bree
dallen.io
Languages
American, Freedom
Rangers also have a lot of server knowledge to share, which the npcs obviously wouldn't have:p

Will the npcs be "physically" present, or will they just be sort of a mysterious voice? If they are visible, it would be cool to have Gandalf appear in various locations around Middle Earth, since he travels around.
I thought about doing this exact thing but I don't have okay from q to make visible npcs, so we will see.

Also on my phone ATM but I'll add the suggestions soon.

Last edited:

Will_Slams

Slab Fanatic
Mar 1, 2014
The Upside-Down
Languages
English
Are there going to be quest rewards? It would be cool to have a way to get tools (not bows, because of arrow grief.)

Also, a suggestion for Bilbo's quest (since he'll be the first one): if they are going to involve giving the NPCs items, Bilbo could teach the player how to use /kit tools and the flint, in order to get the items. He could also teach them how to communicate with the NPCs, telling the player the different command endings like 'farewell.'

Status
Not open for further replies.