• Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Roofs or no roofs for Moria?

TotiGonzales

Head Builder
Staff member
Head Builder
Developer
Donor
Media Team
Hello, fellow Middle Earth enthusiasts!

As many of you might know, Daom and I have taken over this Traders Hall under the 21st that Pants started some time ago. Now lately, the discussion about roofs in moria started again and as this concerns our hall too (as seen in these screenshots of concepts by Pants):
we thought we should ask the public.

Maybe you can also tell that the styles of these roofs are rather particular/ inspired by other styles that come from outside of Moria. The next question would be: Do we think Dwarves would borrow these styles and merge them with theirs?

Let us know what you think about these two topics!
Toti & Daom

ryttyr

Hardcore MCME-er
Commoner
Logistically you wouldn't dig out more space than needed so in terms of building that'd mean that all structures in non-cave halls should reach from floor to ceiling and not stop halfway with a roof as it would just have been wasted work for the dwarves to dig out more space than they needed.

TotiGonzales

Head Builder
Staff member
Head Builder
Developer
Donor
Media Team
Logistically you wouldn't dig out more space than needed so in terms of building that'd mean that all structures in non-cave halls should reach from floor to ceiling and not stop halfway with a roof as it would just have been wasted work for the dwarves to dig out more space than they needed.
We do have housing from floor to ceiling too. Some of the buildings are just more special tho and have different types of decorations like roofs for example. That's the way i see this :D

ryttyr

Hardcore MCME-er
Commoner
We do have housing from floor to ceiling too. Some of the buildings are just more special tho and have different types of decorations like roofs for example. That's the way i see this :D
Hmm, well I guess it could be ok to have roofs on shorter buildings if the hall is dimensioned to house taller buildings that reach from floor to ceiling. But since everything in Moria is technically indoors anyways roofs would be purely decorative and could just as well have been built as terraces to give more space. In fact, building freestanding houses in halls at all seems like a big hassle. It would be much easier for the dwarves to just carve their homes from the solid rock instead of carve out a big hall and then build houses in it. I'm sorry for sounding so negative but I've always felt that our Moria style is highly illogical from a realistic standpoint and in some ways from a lore based standpoint as well (based on how I interpret the lore at least).