1. Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide
    Dismiss Notice

In Progress RPG Development

Discussion in 'Engineering Bay' started by KinkySauron, Apr 23, 2017.

1. ryttyr

ryttyr Yellow flower puncher

The Uruk-Hai, with it's strength 2, resistance 2 and two special attacks seems rather OP. I mean reducing all incoming damage by 40% and increasing all their dealt melee damage by 6 points?
    And why does humans have leaping 1? That feels more like an elven thing. Maybe elves should have leaping 2?
    Also... since this will be an pvp/rpg thing what use would the dwarves have of haste 2?

I like how hobbits can "disappear into the terran as if by magic" but I have a suggestion: Since it isn't magic but rather natural talent maybe you should make it so that the invisibility stops if they try to attack? Maybe couner balance it by making the cool down shorter? Also, whilst it seems somewhat fitting with swiftness two, my mental immage of an hobbit outrunning an elf on its tiny little legs is just hilarious.

If you'd like me to I could test these effects out in vanilla to se how balanced or unbalanced they are. After all, I might not know a lot about plugins but I am at least somewhat experienced and fairly adept at using vanilla commands.

Just cosmetic? So no booster packs for epic gear or premium races like beornlings and such? Sweet.

Whilst I may not be around or have lost interest when this finally is done you can count me in as a beta tester for now :D

Ok. The reason I asked is because I once played a pvp game in The Hornburgh and the design of the walls gave more protection for the attackers than it did us defenders. We couldn't even shoot down at them without standing atop the crenellations which is supposed to defend us against them and not the other way around.

I assume there will only be like a hundred or so different locations (camps, ruins, dungeons etc.) that will be copied all across the world. If I wasn't so occupied with real life stuff and artist obligations I would love to try my hands at building some of them.

Awesome! Will there be siege equipment involved as well? Also, Is that an older version of the Hornburgh? I'll watch the video when I have the time to do so.

Actually I do have a few more suggestions right away.
    Would it be possible to give players skins matching their choosen race whilst on the MCMMOMERPG server?
    Also would it be possible to have the same kind of armor have different appearance depending on the faction of the wearer?

2. Eriol_Eandur

Eriol_Eandur Designer
    Staff Member Designer Developer Donor Media Team

Changing the appereance of armor is possible modifying resource packs and using various item durability values.
    The problem is that in a RPG you probably will want to use item durability to display damaged armor. So this would need some handling and tricking with plugins. I have an idea how to achieve about 4-6 different colours each type of armor.

I haven't found any possibility to change the skin of a player neither in Spigot API nor in Minecraft protocol. It seems to me that they are loaded on clientside. So it could be done by a client mod maybe.

3. ryttyr

I see. Well if it doesn't work it doesn't work. But it would be really useful to be able to tell factions apart with a mere glance. Do you think that could be achieved in some way?

4. Eriol_Eandur

Eriol_Eandur Designer

Yes, by armor. With the idea I described above we could make all amor completely unique look for 4-6 factions.

As there will probably be very few players wearing no armor, skins would be barely visible anyway.

5. ryttyr

Sweet! Armor is the most logical way and yeah, most players probably would wear armor almost all the time.

6. ryttyr

I have another suggestion for the plugin that I forgot in my previous comment: I have seen people use it in various pvp situations but I don't really know how it works. "It" being a kind of voice chat where you only can hear someone if your characters are within earshot of each other and your voices sounds fainter the further apart you are.

Also, I don't know what spells would be lore appropriate for the wizards to use but I have a few suggestions.

Fireball: launches a ghast firecharge in the direction the wizard is facing, with each level increasing its power value (i.e AoE and damage output).

Magic Ward: grants the wizard and all allies within a 10 block radius of him resistance x for y minutes, where x and y increase with level.

Or if you didn't intend for the wizard to be a support class:
    Magic Ward: gives the wizard resistance x for y minutes, where x and y increase with level.

Magelight: illuminates the surrounding area simmilar to how certain shaders work when holding a torch (if it is possible)

Vigor Boost: grants all allies within a 10 block radius of the wizard absorption x for y minutes, where x and y increase with level. (Usable by good wizards only)

Curse of Darkness: inflicts all enemies within a 7 blocks radius around the wizard with wither x for y seconds, where x and y increase with level. (Usable by dark wizards only)

Too bad the glowing effect only affects one entity, making it visible to all players instead of the other way around (making a single player able to see a glowing effect around all enteties) otherwise that would be a cool spell for wizards to have or a natural ability that elves could use once an hour or so.

EDIT: Oh and since this is going to be an roleplay server as well as pvp could you add some cosmetic/roleplay oriented things like being able to actually smoke the pipes, handheld torches illuminating things even for other players and having custom potions be ale, wine, tea and the like?

#26 ryttyr, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Eriol_Eandur likes this.
  7. KinkySauron

KinkySauron Developer
    Developer

We could always add a hologram above players' heads. I'll reply to your other suggestions/questions as soon as I get home :p

ryttyr likes this.
  8. Eriol_Eandur

Eriol_Eandur Designer

Thats a load of input @ryttyr, thanks a lot.
    Cool feature. Would be hard to make. But as you've seen player using it there is probably a solution which is ready to use.
    Not sure if that is possible. But I have an idea ;)
    That's a hard one again. I think it will require to hook into Minecraft Protocol between Server and Client. Will be interesting :D
    Smoking pipes and handheld torches will need client modding.

All other suggestions should be possible to implement.

ryttyr likes this.
  9. ryttyr

I've seen it in this modded pvp battle as well as several other of their (not so mini-) minigames. The mod or plugin in question is called mumble link and can be found in the mod/plugin list provided in the description of the videos. There might be several other interesting things on that list that could be of use as well.

#29 ryttyr, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  10. KinkySauron

KinkySauron Developer
    Developer

All of this is awesome, thanks a lot. Those cosmetics shouldn't be too hard to make if we just work with mc textures. I'm gonna make some form of drug effects on players vision too, make it a bit more realistic. I'm actually currently working on a plugin that allows us to voiceover instructions/music/other audio for players while they go about their gameplay.

barteldvn and ryttyr like this.
  11. Eriol_Eandur

Eriol_Eandur Designer

It is possible :D

#31 Eriol_Eandur, Apr 26, 2017
  12. ryttyr

Wow. That is awesome! Better than I hoped for even. How does it work?

13. Eriol_Eandur

Eriol_Eandur Designer

It's an Ender Pearl, that is set on fire. The server controls the velocity of that pearl so that it follows a virtual point near your line of sight. By right- and left-clicking with a stick in hand you may change the distance of that point. As it is a server side entity everyone will see it.

#33 Eriol_Eandur, Apr 26, 2017
    KinkySauron and RubenPieterMark like this.
  14. ryttyr

Wow! That's awesome! I never knew you could do that. Does the light effect only work with shaders or does it work regardless?

Also. I've got one more thing. Since there are five good races but only four dark ones how about you add another dark race? Like the Haradrim perhaps?
    Or maybe one of the different types of troll, like the stone-troll? That would be interesting, having a character that is really strong at night but unable to move at day (using slowness >7 and perhaps blindness as well). Although... I suppose such a character would be rather annoying to play as... and the olog-hai is just too OP.

KinkySauron likes this.
  15. KinkySauron

KinkySauron Developer
    Developer

I did originally have the trolls in there. I just decided that they'd be a lot weaker without their size. In order for us to change a player's size we'd have to add mods, which I don't really want to do. Like you said as well, I don't think anyone would enjoy being unable to move half the time :p I wanted to have less races on the dark side anyway, because light players have 10+ ringbearers while the dark side only has 1 (and the nasgul) therefore it'd be easier for those commanding players on the dark side to lead fewer races rather than a bunch.

16. ryttyr

Oh yeah. Didn't think of that. Are the Nazgul gonna be players as well? Like dark side equivalent of lords?

KinkySauron likes this.
  17. Eriol_Eandur

Eriol_Eandur Designer

It's working without shaders. There is technically almost no difference to an fire arrow. Just the velocity is changed by plugin all the time.

18. ryttyr

I see, cool.

19. KinkySauron

KinkySauron Developer
    Developer

Yep, basically so.

20. TI_020601

TI_020601 Aspiring Commoner

@Eriol_Eandur, @KinkySauron, @ryttyr Well the pipe smoking is possible using plugins(I'd assume) as it's on the PvP server although it doesn't look great if you move around alot.

SirEonwe likes this.