1. Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide
    Dismiss Notice

In Progress RPG Development

Discussion in 'Engineering Bay' started by KinkySauron, Apr 23, 2017.

1. yourie98

yourie98 Aspiring Commoner

So when is the dream finally becoming real?

2. Eriol_Eandur

Eriol_Eandur Designer
    Staff Member Designer Developer Donor Media Team

This is still at a very early stage. It's mainly collecting ideas, not a detailled plan with a date set.

But one thing became quite clear over the last weeks: Many people are dreaming of role playing elements at MCME.

I take this as a mandate to have a closer look. I can't say what will be the first steps. Could be a new adventure map, some adventure like quests for small groups at the main server or a multiplayer RPG server. I guess we will discuss at a staff meeting.

#62 Eriol_Eandur, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
  3. yourie98

yourie98 Aspiring Commoner

Yeah I dreamed of MCME becoming some kind of rpg server ever since I first joined, thanks a lot for even looking at it :)

4. TI_020601

TI_020601 Aspiring Commoner

Might be helpful to include guides in that part of the meeting.

ryttyr likes this.
  5. KinkySauron

KinkySauron Developer
    Developer

Alright lads, I know it's been a while since any real work has been done on the RPG's development, but I'm back in the game. I'm going to be reigniting the flame by continuing work on the basic plugins and creating a far more in depth plan of action with @Finrod_Amandil, @Eriol_Eandur, and anyone else thats interested in writing out the lore for this gamemode. Over the past month I've been reading a lot more in-depth Tolkien lore like the Silmarillion and Tolkien's unfinished tales, so I really think we'll be able to get some great work done on the RPG over the next few months. Please feel free to contact me if you're interested in helping with the lore writing!

yourie98 and barteldvn like this.
  6. slaMoria

slaMoria Yellow flower puncher

[​IMG]
    Green : no mobs
    inner Shire, Sarn Ford, village next to the East Road, Bree and the old Forest cause evils don't go in it

Yellow : only easy mobs at night
    Breeland (can be in Green, considering that the oathbreaker guard it), East Road, outter Shire

No colours : evil humans (Rhudaur) by day, some wolves and a few orcs

Orange : mob are hiding by days and attack at night (If it's possible to do that)
    Woods in the Fornost part and hills next to Annuminas (maybe also The Weather Top ?)

Red : mobs are always hard
    (evils, not only orcs) but you can call tom bombadil in the West of Barrow Downs
    Barrow Down, Amon Sul , old Anorian towns,
    (but I don't agree with myself, I would see a oathbreaker Camp in Annuminas)

BWOT and Eriol_Eandur like this.
  7. Eriol_Eandur

Eriol_Eandur Designer

RPG Development Meeting

Sunday, July 9th, 19 BST 20 BST

We will discuss the possibility of a role-playing gamemode at MCME. Everyone is welcome to participate with his ideas and questions. But please keep in mind that RPG develompent is at a very early stage. Nothing is decided yet. It's not even sure that there will be a RPG. But since Kinky brought up this it became very clear that many players are dreaming of an RPG at MCME.

At this stage there is no need to discuss details like charakter names. Main point at the moment should be the gameplay and purpose of the game. I wrote down my ideas about that in a proposal for a >>RPG in The Shire<<. I would like to hear more about what you like to have in an RPG. Also more ideas for missions are welcome.

Next step will be to discuss at the staff meeting which is currently planned. Based on all ideas @KinkySauron and I and whoever else wants to help will go into the technical details. We will see what plugins area already there and usable for our needs, but I'm quite sure we will also develop a MCME-RPG plugin.

Once the outlines are done we will need help again to design mission details, trading prices, NPCs, mob encounters, looting tables....

#67 Eriol_Eandur, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    yourie98, awaywind, barteldvn and 6 others like this.
  8. slaMoria

Nice I hope my mom will let me coming on the meeting.

But I often eat at this hours ( it's 8pmm in France )

9. Eriol_Eandur

Eriol_Eandur Designer

I moved the meeting one hour back. @slaMoria I hope this is better for you. Also @Finrod_Amandil will be back home by then.
    If anyone can't participate at the later time I will be online at 19 pm BST already so we can have a talk before the meeting.

slaMoria likes this.
  10. slaMoria

11. SpecialAupps

SpecialAupps Thrall

Maybe before siegeing a fort or city you have to prepare a war camp outside the city and a tent for each soldier and an armory tent and stables depending on the race

12. SpecialAupps

SpecialAupps Thrall

Oh and also you should have more than 1 human race like a race for Rohan and gondor and Bree

13. Davidisc

Davidisc One of Us
    Donor

How did it take me so long to notice this thread? This sounds absolutely stunning guys. I am excited to hear more updates in the future!

lolbroek108 likes this.
  14. Fraspace5

Fraspace5 Yellow flower puncher

Hi guys, I would know the progress made in this period and I would like to know if the project has already started or if it is being planned.

lolbroek108 likes this.
  15. ryttyr

ryttyr Yellow flower puncher

@Davidisc @Fraspace5
    From what I've came to understand it's like this: this is just the Developers' hobby side project and as such it has the lowest priority of everything development related so it's essentially only worked on if the Developers have nothing else to work on at all and if you've seen @Eriol_Eandur 's never ending to-do list you'll know that that doesn't happen very often. And with Mordor starting up and Minecraft 1.13 on it's way which will change a lot of stuff for us I'd guess that they may not even have time to touch this again for many many months.

16. Eriol_Eandur

Eriol_Eandur Designer

Actually I thought about role playing at MCME on my way home today :p
    I'd love to have some on the server. But as @ryttyr said. It's low priority and I did not start to work on it. Also I don't expect to start soon as mc 1.13 update will require a lot of work probably and a minigames revamp is overdue.

Miiil, dav3ck, Fraspace5 and 4 others like this.
  17. Merlinc01

Merlinc01 Yellow flower puncher

Uuundddaaarrrstatement

lolbroek108 and ryttyr like this.