1. Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Did you know you can upload your screenshots to your own Media section?.You can get ratings and comments on the uploaded material!

Texture Request: Reeds

Discussion in 'Textures' started by Finrod_Amandil, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Finrod_Amandil

Finrod_Amandil Head Designer
    Staff Member Head Designer Designer Donor Media Team

Hello dear texturers!

@Mandos and I have been working on a concept for the gladden fields, but we need a new texture for it, and thats a two-block high texture for reeds.
    DSC_1086.JPG
    water_reeds.jpg
    The texture would then take the place of the Lilacs in these pics:

If anyone could give this a try It'd be very awesome!

~ Finrod

Eriol_Eandur and greglas2 like this.
  2. Tyranystrasz

Tyranystrasz Designer
    Staff Member Designer

Fin why don't retexture sugar canes instead?

greglas2 likes this.
  3. Finrod_Amandil

cuz we used sugarcanes in many other swamps already, and canes are always the same textures stacked ontop of each other, but here i need a two high plant where bottom is different from top.

4. Tyranystrasz

Tyranystrasz Designer
    Staff Member Designer

oki dokey

5. jonasspil

jonasspil Thrall

Heyo, I did a thing. Im on the go right now, so did this one on my laptop, might lave to do some finetuning when i get back home and have an actual mouse :3

The reeds look a bit wierd in some places where they are placed in the cornor of a single block sorrounded by water, assuming this is just plant behavior...

I would love to hear a bit of feedback :>

Jonas~

yourie98 and Eaglz24 like this.
  6. Ma5terMinD

Ma5terMinD Yellow flower puncher
    Donor

I already made a reed texture a while back. Together with plenty flower textures.

UjGxnSL.png
    zSBJ5ip.png
    Tell me if you need it and I'll send them to you.

Daddlio, B_n, kisos and 2 others like this.
  7. MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman Yellow flower puncher

Those look fantastic Ma5terMinD. =D

8. Finrod_Amandil

I was so sure that someone made some reed textures once but I could not find it anymore :p
    Thanks already to both texturers!
    I love especially the shapes and the shadings in Ma5' textures, thought at first that it was a 32px texture, I had to count the pixels to be sure it isn't^^ What I like on jonas' texture is that the bottom of the shafts is lighter, like the reeds in my 2nd concept picture. A bit a downside of jonas' texture is that the brown things aren't wider than the green parts which makes it look a bit odd.
    The green tone I was looking for was that dark but dull green from the pics, to have bit a contrast to the very bright grass.

Currently I'm rather tending to take Ma5' texture for the awesome work on the shape there. What may be worth trying there may be makeing the green a bit less lush, and that lighter bottom of the shafts may also be a nice gimmick (tho it's kinda hard to tell whether it'd look good in Minecraft). Jonas, if you're up fiddling with your texture a bit I'm very happy to keep considering both and give yours another chance!
    Ma5 if you could pm me your texture I'd gladly would give it a try how it looks among the other plants. Also if you'd be okay with that I'd have a look whether I could find a spot for the other flowers (yellow, blue and light blue) in some of the packs.

9. Eriol_Eandur

Eriol_Eandur Designer
    Staff Member Designer Developer Donor Media Team

I surely could not do better thand @Ma5terMinD, I would also suggest to use his yellow flower at the gladden fields. As it looks much like a yellow iris which are name giving to the gladden fields.
    Yellow-iris-in-flower.jpg
    There is a detailed description of the gladden fields at note 13 of "The Disaster at the Gladden Fields" in the Unfinished Tales. There's a vast number of yellow sword iris mentioned.
    According to Tolkien Gateway Tolkien derived gladden from old english glædene from latin gladius for sword.

#9 Eriol_Eandur, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  10. Finrod_Amandil

Yeah I had that thought too, gotta see whether we could wholly replace the old yellow flower texture with Ma5' or whether we rather should use another flower

11. Eriol_Eandur

Eriol_Eandur Designer
    Staff Member Designer Developer Donor Media Team

I also really like the look of the gladden field concept above. Maybe mix the small yellow flowers with the yellow sword iris?

12. Ma5terMinD

Ma5terMinD Yellow flower puncher
    Donor

13. Finrod_Amandil

Thanks a lot Ma5, The Reeds blend in really well, almost a bit too well in fact :p. The Yellow flowers I won't replace with yours though, simply because the do not stack well with the grass below: