1. Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Did you know you can upload your screenshots to your own Media section?.You can get ratings and comments on the uploaded material!

Texture Suggestions

Discussion in 'Textures' started by q220, Oct 20, 2014.

1. RubenPieterMark

RubenPieterMark Dirt Conaisseur
    Media Team

Two terrain blocks: sandstone and mossy stone. The sandstone might be useful for Belfalas since the houses there are mad of sandstone, instead of cobble. [​IMG]
    The mossy stone would would be really nice for small mountains in combi with grass, stone, the redstone moss and low bushes. [​IMG]

raf_the_eagle likes this.
  2. RubenPieterMark

Media Team

For the sandstone I gave a go by myself:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    I actually made two texture varieties for it. It is kinda necessary (as far as I know) that we'll use a data value for this instead of an item, since this block will mostly be used with voxel for terrain, which does not support Eriol's armor stand blocks.

3. Eaglz24

Eaglz24 Dirt Conaisseur
    Donor

I actually made a sandstone texture myself a few weeks ago. However I only made one and it needs other connected variants but I was never bothered to make them.

[​IMG]

4. Wodleth

Wodleth Designer
    Staff Member Designer Donor

We have a mossy stone texture in the Eriador pack. It is currently on the Chiseled Stone Bricks

greglas2 likes this.
  5. RubenPieterMark

Media Team

Hm ye like the one we can find alot in the Emyn Muil as well you mean? I was more thinking of this:
    [​IMG]

6. the_pharaohs_cat

the_pharaohs_cat Aspiring Commoner

A suggestion is to change some of the glass from the Rohan RP to some texture similar to the plain glass texture for the Gondor RP.

#106 the_pharaohs_cat, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    greglas2 likes this.
  7. Finrod_Amandil

Finrod_Amandil Head Designer
    Staff Member Head Designer Designer Donor Media Team

I fear it's no good idea adding new terrain blocks now as Gondor terrain is mostly done already...

For this, Eriol create a special block which lets you cover the floor, both horizontal and vertical faces, in relatively thick moss; if you place that only ontop of a mossy stone block it should get quite close to that.

Sorry, could you explain a bit better, I can't figure what exactly your idea is :] What texture do you want to move from which pack to which pack?

greglas2 and RubenPieterMark like this.
  8. the_pharaohs_cat

Well the normal glass pane in Rohan RP is invisible, so is the white one. I suggest that we change one of those to have the texture of the glass pane in the Gondorian RP.

RubenPieterMark likes this.
  9. Finrod_Amandil

ah okay, now it's more clear. I will consider this when I move towards the big revamp of the Rohan pack ;) There I anyway want to get rid of all duplicate blocks.

10. Lindolas

Lindolas Aspiring Commoner

A balustrade would be nice to have. Here's an example:

[​IMG]

Retextured anvil would work pretty well for this I think.

Daddlio and Eriol_Eandur like this.
  11. RubenPieterMark

Media Team

Or just use the damaged anvils for this, instead of a 3D hammer.

12. Eriol_Eandur

Eriol_Eandur Designer
    Staff Member Designer Developer Donor Media Team

There is no need to discuss which block to use, we still have a lot of free block states. Also:
    It's probably best to make this a block orientable in two directions (north-south and east-west)

The main question is who will make the texture (or 3D block model). These curves are not easy to do with 16x16 pixels.

#112 Eriol_Eandur, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  13. the_pharaohs_cat

Is there any form of necroposting not allowed on these forums? Also, I know that this has been on my mind for ages, but, for the Gondor packs (Gondor 1.0 & Gondor 2.0), well in Gondor 1.0 there is still no 3D texture for a torch on a wall, and in the Gondor 2.0 Pack, all of the 3D light source textures have been completely removed. Is there any chance that they will be revised or done? Thanks.

barteldvn and ryttyr like this.
  14. Finrod_Amandil

I will look into getting the Moria wall torch to Gondor, if I can find a fitting block!

15. ryttyr

ryttyr Yellow flower puncher

I prefer the 3D gondor/eriador/rohan torch. I know there is an 3D midel for the standing Eriador torch anyways and I really like that one.

16. Finrod_Amandil

Yeah I know which one you mean; personally it's a bit overkill, the metal "cage" is so thick and elaborate you almost cannot see the flame anymore. I am not such a huge fan of it, we may want to make a poll about it who wants which one...

17. the_pharaohs_cat

You could just make a torch_wall.json file, instead of using a different block.

18. ryttyr

ryttyr Yellow flower puncher

But the Moria one can't be used as a standing torch at all since it's floating in mid air, neither standing nor hanging. It only looks good when used as a wall torch then or in certain chandeliers.

19. Eriol_Eandur

Eriol_Eandur Designer
    Staff Member Designer Developer Donor Media Team

Thinking about light sources this came into my mind:
    So far we have a latern (block: torch) and a candle (block: redstone torch) in Gondor pack but no torch which is something really missing in my opinion. There is another light emitting block, the end rod we could use for it, but I would switch blocks:
    Block_____________Texture
    Torch_____________Torch in 5 orientations, 4 at walls and one at the ground (new texture)
    Redstone Torch__Candle in 5 orientations, 4 at walls and one at the ground (unchanged)
    End Rod__________New latern model with 6 orientations, 4 at walls, one at the ground and one hanging from above for candelier e.g.

I don't like the moria model too much for the same reasons as @Finrod_Amandil but I will have no time to make a new model until in about 3 weeks. So if anyone interested....

20. QuantaCube

QuantaCube Foreman
    Foreman

alternate iron trapdoor texture/itemblock in gondor 2 : Wheels
    Could be used to make small carts where the piston wheels with the axles don't fit (I have seen these kind of small carts in DA, and look strange with just normal trapdoors as wheels).
    Reference image:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]