Upcoming customisable 3D blocks in 1.8

• Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Fornad

Hardcore MCME-er
Mar 1, 2014
Within resource packs in the new snapshot, we're now able to edit the block meshes as well as their textures. Examples of what this can achieve:

We could customise it for the server as well - actual bells in the Gondor RP instead of dragon eggs, for example. Can you guys think of anything else this could be used for?

BigJeyEm

Dirt Conaisseur
Mar 1, 2014
Germany
Languages
German (native)
English
I haven't looked into that snapshot yet, but I guess it means that we can basically do anything we want with blocks. Now we just need a RP Artist who has enough time and skillz and knowledge to do this for all the blocks.

wheelleee

Build-Hardened Veteran
Mar 1, 2014
hmm, i saw one RP with it. It requires quite a bit of coding :p (with a text program).

wheelleee

Build-Hardened Veteran
Mar 1, 2014
not to forget, the people at mojang r also hinting they r gonna make connected textures in 1.8 as well :DDD

iDwarf

Builds Diagonally
Mar 2, 2014
To be honest I'm not sure how I feel about that statue being able to exist in minecraft. It's too... perfect.

Fornad

Hardcore MCME-er
Mar 1, 2014
To be honest I'm not sure how I feel about that statue being able to exist in minecraft. It's too... perfect.
We could certainly have a statue design (for example) that retains the blockiness/pixels of Minecraft, whilst having more detail that you could achieve with 1mx1m blocks. It's just an example.