• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Resolved Can't connect to Build server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyrien_91

Expert Stream Digger
Credits
XP
Hi everyone!

I just created an account, and after reading through the New Player Guide I attempted to connect to the Build server and got a message saying 'Can't connect to server' (with the signal sign at the right end crossed out). What's strange is that I can connect to the Freebuild server without problems (I went in and some other players kindly tried to help me resolve the issue) but it's as if my game can't even find the Build server. The first thing that ocurred to me was that the server was down because my browser couldn't load the Build server dynmap either but I was told by other players within the Freebuild server that the Build dynmap was broken at the moment.

I browsed this section of the forums and found many 'Can't connect' threads and tried solutions like downgrading the game and such but it still didn't work.

In any case, thanks in advance and I look forward to seeing you soon in Middle-Earth!

Welcome Lyrien!

But yeah, just logged on to the Build Server and it works fine. Could have been some temporary minecraft launcher problem (i have been through stuff like this before). Try logging back on now and if you can't, just post here again.

Cheers!

This is what I found in the Minecraft Wiki

"Cannot connect to server
This appears next to the list of servers. This means you couldn't reach to the server at all. The server might be down, you may not have an internet connection, or the server didn't respond in time( because of lag)."

Try to turn your nternet and computer off and on again and try to connect again to the Build server. If it still doesn't work, please post a screenshot of the error message, it would be very helpful :)

Thanks for the fast reply guys! :D

So first off I'm gonna post the screenshot:

zao12kX.png

I did some searching online and found that that error message can be due to some sort of firewall or port blocking. I suck at computers but I have spent the past hour following guides for port-forwarding and I finally succeded only to find that nothing had changed. I'm still searching for other methods to try and fix this and hopefully find a way to play. :)

Again, thanks for replying guys, and if you can think of something I could try I definitely will!

Hey guys. So here's an update...

I deleted Minecraft and reinstalled it to start off and that didn't fix the problem. So I did some research online and found a couple of guides to open ports for Minecraft on the Windows firewall, my Antivirus' (Norton) firewall and my router's firewall. I did all of that extra carefully and it still wouldn't work. However, I doubt that had anything to do with it in the first place because, as I mentioned, I can connect to the Freebuild server so it's unlikely that my game is being blocked by some pesky firewall.

The last thing I attempted was to progressively downgrade game versions and test at each one. I went from 1.7.10 (which is what I currently play at) to 1.7.2 and it didn't work at any of those stages. I won't give up, though!

PS: I was hanging out on the Freebuild server for a bit and caught some pretty spectacular sights! Can't wait to actually see Middle-Earth!

Hey guys. So here's an update...

I deleted Minecraft and reinstalled it to start off and that didn't fix the problem. So I did some research online and found a couple of guides to open ports for Minecraft on the Windows firewall, my Antivirus' (Norton) firewall and my router's firewall. I did all of that extra carefully and it still wouldn't work. However, I doubt that had anything to do with it in the first place because, as I mentioned, I can connect to the Freebuild server so it's unlikely that my game is being blocked by some pesky firewall.

The last thing I attempted was to progressively downgrade game versions and test at each one. I went from 1.7.10 (which is what I currently play at) to 1.7.2 and it didn't work at any of those stages. I won't give up, though!

PS: I was hanging out on the Freebuild server for a bit and caught some pretty spectacular sights! Can't wait to actually see Middle-Earth!
Yeah, the fact that you can connect to freebuild but not the main is what is confusing me (probably most people actually). This makes me believe it has something to do with the server itself, not your connection. (Probably wrong, but who knows)

Try pinging the server ip - in terminal (cmd if you're using windows):
Code:
ping build.mcmiddleearth.com

What response do you get?

Try pinging the server ip - in terminal (cmd if you're using windows):
Code:

What response do you get?

Hello Ivan, thanks for the suggestion. I would post a screenshot of the cmd response but I'm afraid it's in spanish so I'll just translate it (probably very badly...):

Time ran out for this request.

Ping statistics for 5.9.85.67:
Packages: sent: 4, received = 0, lost = 4
<100% lost>

... yeah. So last night I logged into the Freebuild server and a fellow player suggested that I unistalled and reinstalled Java, so I did and that didn't fix it either. I'll keep trying, and hopefully that cmd report says something to you guys!! :D

PS: I'm starting to think this is either something catastrophic with my computer or something ridiculously simple that I'm overlooking. ;)

Reinstalling java or minecraft definitely won't work, your PC can't connect to the server.

What do you get if you type in cmd:
Code:
route print

Reinstalling java or minecraft definitely won't work, your PC can't connect to the server.

What do you get if you type in cmd:
Code:
route print

Hello Ivan,

Well, this report is a bit longer so I'll post a screenshot this time. Is there anything on that report which I should be looking out for? It's in spanish unfortunately, so if you need me to find something, I will.

l7BRAqQ.png

I'll be keeping a close eye on the thread in case you need anything. Thanks! ;)

Unfortunately I can't help out in a practical sense (seriously weird that only Build and not Freebuild would be having connection issues), but I just wanted to pass along some encouragement. I'm sure someone will be able to figure out what's wrong before too long. :)

(@q220 Anything you can figure out from that route data?)

Unfortunately I can't help out in a practical sense (seriously weird that only Build and not Freebuild would be having connection issues), but I just wanted to pass along some encouragement. I'm sure someone will be able to figure out what's wrong before too long. :)

(@q220 Anything you can figure out from that route data?)

Thanks for the encouragement Top Gun, I really appreciate it! ;)

Let's hope we can figure it out somehow. I was browsing the Jobs forums and there's a lot of stuff I'd like to be involved in :D

I don't think it will work, DNS resolve was successful, look at this:
Code:
Code:
(...)

Ping statistics for 5.9.85.67:                  <--- raw IP resolved, still ping failed
Packages: sent: 4, received = 0, lost = 4
<100% lost>

I did some searching online and found that that error message can be due to some sort of firewall or port blocking. I suck at computers but I have spent the past hour following guides for port-forwarding and I finally succeded only to find that nothing had changed. I'm still searching for other methods to try and fix this and hopefully find a way to play. :)

you should un-foreword those ports, that has nothing to do with your problem and only opens you up to hackers.

could you also run the following commands and post screenshots of them here:
Code:
tracert build.mcmiddleearth.com

Code:
tracert freebuild.mcmiddleearth.com

Code:
tracert survival.mcmiddleearth.com

in addition, is build or freebuild dynmap visible to you?

thanks for your help Lyrian, we will figure this out eventually!

Edit: remove the port forewords BEFORE you post more screenshots pls!

Hey guys!

So I haven't been posting because I decided to completely restore my computer and start from scratch (my operating system speaks english now :D ). First thing I did was to download Minecraft and try to connect and AGAIN it wouldn't let me connect to the build server but it DID let me connect to Freebuild. So I guess that means my antivirus had nothing to do with it :p

I will run the tests that dallen requested ASAP (today) and I'll post the screenshots here.

Thanks for all the help guys. I just hope that when this works out it'll be useful for future members ;)

Hi again, guys!

So here are the test results for each server:

Build:

jitqCQR.png

Freebuild:

lPRdl8x.png

Survival:

CXSG3WV.png

(These tests were done after un-forwarding the ports from my router's configuration as instructed)

And finally, I can view the dynmap for Freebuild but not for Build (it says "This webpage is not available"). :O

Thanks again! :D

ok this is a total shot in the dark but there are far to many possibilities,
Code:
tracert static.67.85.9.5.clients.your-server.de
Code:
tracert 195.16.162.254
post those screens here pls. Im sorry I can't be of more help until I have more info.

Code:
ping 172.21.17.82
^do this one 3 times pls I only need the average time in ms.

Last edited:
ok this is a total shot in the dark but there are far to many possibilities,
Code:
tracert static.67.85.9.5.clients.your-server.de
Code:
tracert 195.16.162.254
post those screens here pls. Im sorry I can't be of more help until I have more info.

Code:
ping 172.21.17.82
^do this one 3 times pls I only need the average time in ms.

Hello dallen!

Here are the screenshots:

MQz454F.png

wU8wBph.png

I did the 3 pings you asked for and the average time in ms was 10.

Again, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.