• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Are the Ruins of Gondolin underwater, or on Tol Fuin?

SPACE_LEMON

Slab Fanatic
Credits
XP
When Beleriand sank, the plateau of Dorthonion/Taur-nu-Fuin became the island of Tol Fuin. The highest points of the plateau were the Crissaegrim, which surrounded Gondolin. So, after the drowning of Beleriand, do we assume the ruins of Gondolin are above sea level, below sea level, or were destroyed utterly in the War of Wrath?

Personally I like to think that the valley of Tumladen wherein lay Gondolin became a bay of Tol Fuin after the drowning of Beleriand, and the ruins submerged, but not utterly destroyed.

When Beleriand sank, the plateau of Dorthonion/Taur-nu-Fuin became the island of Tol Fuin. The highest points of the plateau were the Crissaegrim, which surrounded Gondolin. So, after the drowning of Beleriand, do we assume the ruins of Gondolin are above sea level, below sea level, or were destroyed utterly in the War of Wrath?

Personally I like to think that the valley of Tumladen wherein lay Gondolin became a bay of Tol Fuin after the drowning of Beleriand, and the ruins submerged, but not utterly destroyed.
Well i would say that gondolin was probably destroyed to the ground by melkor after the siege

i dont know much about this matter but if you whant to talk to someone who was learned this (as he is lead of gondolin) go talk to stephen. and if you whant to work on the build in-game just talk to me or him and ill invite you into the discord server. :D

i dont know much about this matter but if you whant to talk to someone who was learned this (as he is lead of gondolin) go talk to stephen. and if you whant to work on the build in-game just talk to me or him and ill invite you into the discord server. :D
Space Lemon is a former artist :p

I'm a little late to this party, but here's my answer:
I think as far as lore tells us: the only remaining lands of Beleriand and the Lands to the North after the War of Wrath are that of the island of Himring/Himling, Tol Fuin and Tol Morwen.

The highlands of Dorthonion and the Encircling Mountains around Tumladen were separated by the Pass of Anach, so there's possibly some form of geological fault-line between these two areas that leads to the Tumladen region sinking much more than Dorthonion does. Tumladen is likely the product of an ancient caldera lake that drained over time , which could give the possibility of geological weaknesses in that area. So bearing this in mind, the area could have sunk further after all the interference from the powers of the Valar who presumably take part in the War of Wrath.

So my take on this would be that a few of the tallest peaks of the Crissaegrim would be visible as small islands in an archipelago, but that that the ruins of Gondolin would have sunk a fair amount. As for how much was left after the Fall of Gondolin, I'm unsure. The city was certainly plundered, but I think Morgoth was perhaps too arrogant to order it be completely destroyed. Burning it and enslaving its people was probably enough. Very difficult to say if the ruins would exist after the war of wrath as the exact cause of the sinking is left very vague.