• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Edhellond

WardenWolf

Experienced Member
Credits
XP
Well, I've been away a while, and came back and noticed Edhellond is completed. While it was done beautifully, I think it's a little awkward. I always thought of the harbor as in a cave, as the opening is in a mountainside and dark. And the sudden depression in the ground where the harbor is currently looks out of place with the rest of the terrain. It also seems a bit small compared to the scale of the ships we've built previously. Given the terrain and what little we've seen of it, wouldn't a cave make more sense?

Soooo, we just redo it?

I think an outstanding job was done and it should stand out from the terrain or else the elves wouldn't have chosen the location.

As one of the Persons who led this back when it was build i can understand your critics on this one. I guess you took your imagination from that one Picture from John Howe, while this sure is a beautifull Picture (and as you can see we based our Interpretation on his), we still wanted to create something more unique looking. Actually in the lore (correct me if im wrong) its never stated that it had a cave of any kind. In my opinion the harbour isnt out of place, yes, it has a slightly different style, and uses different materials then the houses on the cliff. I thought of it like that the elves worked with what was given. At the same time I really don't believe it's to small. We have a lot of smaller Harbours. and the ships we made would probably fit. Also it's an ancient build, maybe they had smaller ships back then.

-Luk

It never states whether it's a cave. Though it kind of looks like one. I always kind of envisioned it would be like the East Empire Shipping Company's warehouse in Skyrim:

latest?cb=20120612164617

It's very similar on the outside, and a full-service harbor on the inside.

You did nice work. But, I don't know. Something about it just doesn't seem to mesh with the terrain or other Elven structures.

As one of the Persons who led this back when it was build i can understand your critics on this one. I guess you took your imagination from that one Picture from John Howe, while this sure is a beautifull Picture (and as you can see we based our Interpretation on his), we still wanted to create something more unique looking. Actually in the lore (correct me if im wrong) its never stated that it had a cave of any kind. In my opinion the harbour isnt out of place, yes, it has a slightly different style, and uses different materials then the houses on the cliff. I thought of it like that the elves worked with what was given. At the same time I really don't believe it's to small. We have a lot of smaller Harbours. and the ships we made would probably fit. Also it's an ancient build, maybe they had smaller ships back then.

-Luk
I also think it fits in just fine as well. The depression in the ground is sort of out of place, but there are many explanations for that. A meteor crater for instance, or a sinkhole (the geography around that area would indicate limestone would be present, great for sinkholes). Anything is open to interpretation, and since that image just shows the entrance it was up to the designers and artists to envision the rest of it.

About the size of the harbour, all of the massive ships that are present on MCME belong to Men, and make berth in different harbours. This may be just me, but I always pictured elven ships as smaller, graceful craft. If a larger ship wanted to dock there, the crew could just anchor outside of the archway and row in.