• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Help with restoring lost files (Windows 7)

Will_Slams

Worthy of Mordor
Credits
XP
I recently updated my operating system from Windows XP to Windows 7. Before I did, I backed up all my files, including my .minecraft files; all of them. When I tried putting them all back onto my computer, the 'resourcepacks' folder was missing, and the 'mods' folder (Forge Modloader) was missing. I tried searching in the 'Windows.old' folders, where there seemed to be everything but the AppData folders. If anyone knows how to locate them, or could just tell me whether or not this is a lost cause, I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
Did you use windows back up or a direct copy. Windows backup is meant to not copy viruses so appData (where viruses are likely to be located) is probably not saved. If you used a direct copy then the data was most likely just lost/corrupted :(

I recently updated my operating system from Windows XP to Windows 7. Before I did, I backed up all my files, including my .minecraft files; all of them. When I tried putting them all back onto my computer, the 'resourcepacks' folder was missing, and the 'mods' folder (Forge Modloader) was missing. I tried searching in the 'Windows.old' folders, where there seemed to be everything but the AppData folders. If anyone knows how to locate them, or could just tell me whether or not this is a lost cause, I would greatly appreciate it.
It dosen't really sound like a big lost if it's just resource packs and mods, can you not just redownload them?

It dosen't really sound like a big lost if it's just resource packs and mods, can you not just redownload them?
I had 2 completely custom packs :(
Did you use windows back up or a direct copy. Windows backup is meant to not copy viruses so appData (where viruses are likely to be located) is probably not saved. If you used a direct copy then the data was most likely just lost/corrupted :(
I just copied everything onto an external hard drive, so I must have just missed them, or something went wrong while copying.