• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Hierarchy of MCME?

Arkengard

Moria Hall Professional
Supporter
Commoner
Credits
XP
Hey guys! I've noticed a lot of talk on the Off Topic Discord about displeasures regarding the MCME rank system and operation! I thought I'd make a thread here for you lot to discuss that :D Go crazy!

From what I saw in the discussion, some people are upset that we aren’t being told everything and why it’s happening, which I can somewhat agree with but at the same time don’t. I get that the server needs secrets, but we do deserve to be told some things, like why things have been merging. The individual project channels on the discord worked fine from what I saw, but then they all got merged into one project announcements channel which I don’t agree with. I just want an explanation for all the change

I think it can be summed up pretty much in the announcement I made earlier: Discord vs. Forums, Where is the line?

I will try to sum it up quickly to relation with this: we want to encourage forum use, especially on projects and build updates as in discord it gets lost and is not very organized, also q220 believes the less channels: the better.
After reading that a second time, I’m starting to see where you, and the Valar, and coming from. You are all doing this with good intentions to help the server grown and strive, but there is one itch I still can’t scratch away, why move something when it already works. I won’t go into specifics, but I think you know what I mean

After reading that a second time, I’m starting to see where you, and the Valar, and coming from. You are all doing this with good intentions to help the server grown and strive, but there is one itch I still can’t scratch away, why move something when it already works. I won’t go into specifics, but I think you know what I mean
What Bwot is tryin to say here, and what q also told me, is that messages sent in discord get lost. This due to new conversations/discussions, both relevant and not.
This causes some valuable information to get lost: fe. The stuff about crops in moria, the question as to why this was decided has been asked for 4 times now, and we need to explain it every time because one can not simply scroll up tru 50+ messages and expect someone to find it.
Now u will say, 'just pin the important stuff'. This is what I told q as well at first, but I agree that u will eventually end up with so many pinned messages that again u get the same issue, or some important stuff wont be pinned.

The problem with Discord is that while its really good at having these small talks either face to face or in a group (channel) it doesn't offer the same ways to structure stuff like you could with forums. At the devpost BWOT made I wrote that forums have clear advantages over Discord when it comes to 'categorize' discussions (into threads) something you can't do with Discord unless you keep creating more text channels. This is better suited for a forum where you would get beter search indexing because of the system (search, category, thread, stickied info, ...) or even because Google can link it in its search results.

I know tons of people are pro-discord (suppose it has do something with how most people grew up with Facebook-type communication) but the goal is not to 'rid' us of Discord, just move the important bits to the main discussion medium, the forum.