• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Mordor Master Plan

Mershy

Designer
Staff member
Designer
Supporter
Credits
XP
Mordor banner.png
~:~|~:~ Mordor Master Plan ~:~|~:~

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I wanted to create the first outline and planning post for the Pre-production of Mordor. Insane undertaking I know but we can break it down and work together we can get everyone excited. One of the main purposes of this post is to start the conversation. Lets collate some ideas and figure out the best approach for the project.

So ideally, my initial plan is to break down the project and region into parts

Master Plan

The Master Plan will consist in detail of the overall region mapping and project areas. BWOT has done a version of this but I have edite and can change anything we need in regards to the region specifics. The main objective is to get a large overview of everything:

• Separate the regions into sections
  • Terrain Details
  • Lore Details
  • RP Specifics

Essentially every area we map and create can be analysed further to outline what we want and what resources we need for it.

1697734875259.png

*Note that the terrain has slightly been edited after this plan was made

So this is the first rendition of what I propose as the region areas within the Mordor project. My analysis is that we want to work on the green area first, then yellow etc. etc. Thing could change but this is an initial idea as to what we could do. Every one of these areas will have a separate project post outlining further detail and relevant lore.

We have the main locations highlighted with markers, the largest and most famous locations, some more than others. In addition to this:

• Orc camps situated practically everywhere either exterior or interior.
  • Mines, workshops, blacksmiths, armourers etc.
  • Caves in addition to shelobs lair
  • Lava details above and below ground
  • Slave camps and warg pens of the sort
  • Abandoned buildings/ruins
  • Different examples of biomes
  • Farms, probably moreso towards Nurn where the water is

Terrain Plan

The biggest hurdle in my opinion for the project. The terrain is the largest part of this project and we need to note ideas and potential workflows to achieve what we would want. We have a range of options and techniques we could do.

• WE and Voxel current terrain
  • Get Worldmachine files and update
  • Start fresh in world machine

Not my area of expertise within the server and we have a lot of terrain talent so I'd like to pull their help in. We have all the required research from Stephen as well which is a big bonus. We also have the world machine file upon recently too so potential for using this for a template to expand. Personally, I think using WE and Voxel methods might take the longest and be the most laborious so ideally having a very high quality baseplate to then add the details we want would be beneficial.

As read above, that was the terrain plan that was discussed and this is what we have now:

1697733810555.png

Incredibly happy with what we have now, incredible work from @TheSweViking with supporting terrain research from @Eriol_Eandur and @TheStephen. This terrain is currently on "terrainworld" and the main task it blending it into the current map. After that is done if will be transitioned over to mainworld. Minas Morgul and Black Gate have also been added to new terrain.

Resource Pack Plan

We currently have quite a few made textures already in the pack as per the charity stream and wyatts efforts. We still need a few things as well as a shift in how rp updates will be managed. Toti has the intention of updating the pack when its needed, in essence if we need a set of blocks for an area (lets say 1A) then the effort will go into making sure all required blocks are in the pack. This will result in smaller updates and a clearer focus as to what we need to develop to then build with. Custom inventory is also a big thing that needs to be made for the Mordor RP.

Next steps

Exciting stuff overall and something to look forward to. Mind though, as soon as the terrain is pasted we cant immediately start. We still need to finalise what area will be done first as well as the RP fleshed out with the custom inventory. Some current projects need to either be almost wrapping up or finished before we start anything.

Attachments

• Mordor Master Plan.png
    22.1 MB · Views: 115
  • Mordor Master Plan.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 74
Last edited: