• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

• Did you know you can upload your screenshots to your own Media section?.You can get ratings and comments on the uploaded material!

My hand drawn genealogies of the Lords of Elves and Men in the First Age, and the Half-Elves

SPACE_LEMON

Slab Fanatic
Credits
XP
If The Silmarillion has one thing in excess, that's names. So many names. While re-reading The Silmarillion, I decided to draw up genealogies of the most prominent houses in a more concise manner than appears in the book, for my own reference. I've decided to share them here.

Geneology of the Half-Elves - Elvish Lineage.png

Geneology of the Half-Elves - Mannish Lineage.png

I took some liberties here and there, and as such there are some discrepancies between these genealogies and the conflicting writings of Tolkien himself:

- Elrond as King of the Elves: Elrond never claimed the title of King, even though by succession he would be both High King of the Noldor in Exile (through Turgon), and High King of the Sindar and/or all Eldar in Middle-Earth (through Dior/Thingol). Although he did not accept the titles, he nevertheless took on the authorities that the titles bore over the Eldar of Middle-Earth. Thus I have marked him as part of the succession of both lineages. but without numbering him.

- The parentage of Gil-galad: This has always been a source of contention among Tolkien fanatics, given how often Tolkien changed his mind on this subject. I picked the option that makes the most sense in terms of succession, as Christopher Tolkien did.

- Twins: Amrod and Amras were definitely twins. For the others marked "twins" I'm not so sure. I merely made assumptions in the cases of brothers with similar names. This was probably a mistake.

If The Silmarillion has one thing in excess, that's names. So many names. While re-reading The Silmarillion, I decided to draw up genealogies of the most prominent houses in a more concise manner than appears in the book, for my own reference. I've decided to share them here.

View attachment 14460
View attachment 14461

I took some liberties here and there, and as such there are some discrepancies between these genealogies and the conflicting writings of Tolkien himself:

- Elrond as King of the Elves: Elrond never claimed the title of King, even though by succession he would be both High King of the Noldor in Exile (through Turgon), and High King of the Sindar and/or all Eldar in Middle-Earth (through Dior/Thingol). Although he did not accept the titles, he nevertheless took on the authorities that the titles bore over the Eldar of Middle-Earth. Thus I have marked him as part of the succession of both lineages. but without numbering him.

- The parentage of Gil-galad: This has always been a source of contention among Tolkien fanatics, given how often Tolkien changed his mind on this subject. I picked the option that makes the most sense in terms of succession, as Christopher Tolkien did.

- Twins: Amrod and Amras were definitely twins. For the others marked "twins" I'm not so sure. I merely made assumptions in the cases of brothers with similar names. This was probably a mistake.
You know that something weird's goin on when 2 lines cross.

So Arwen is Aragorn's first cousin, 50-something times removed?
Quite a few couples were way more closely related than that.

Galadriel and Celeborn's grandfathers were brothers, Dior's grandfather and Nimloth's great-grandfather were brothers of the same trio, and Elrond and Celebrían were both descendants of Finwë and of Elmo.

Also Húrin and Morwen, and Huor and Rían, shared Malach as a great-great-great-grandfather.

Last edited:
Do elves have no concept of incest?
As far as I know, after 3 generations of separation, it is not longer incest, as incest only has poor consequences due to its high likeliness of the same abnormality occurring twice. Most Europeans are within 50 generations of each other, and plenty of them look very different from each other and aren't facing the poor consequences of incest such as cancer, bonus limbs, etc.

Quite a few couples were way more closely related than that.

Galadriel and Celeborn's grandfathers were brothers, Dior's grandfather and Nimloth's great-grandfather were brothers of the same trio, and Elrond and Celebrían were both descendants of Finwë.

Also Húrin and Morwen, and Huor and Rían, shared Malach as a great-great-great-grandfather.
This is definitely incest. I'd like to note that this isn't legally incest (at least in most countries), but the odds aren't great that you'd get off with no abnormalities.

Do elves have no concept of incest?
They do when they're related within two (or three?) generations.

This is definitely incest. I'd like to note that this isn't legally incest (at least in most countries), but the odds aren't great that you'd get off with no abnormalities.
Don't really see Elves getting any birth defects outside of the influence of Morgoth though.

They do when they're related within two (or three?) generations.

Don't really see Elves getting any birth defects outside of the influence of Morgoth though.
Ah, yeah. With Elven genetics, the stuff might be a bit off. For all we know, they don't even have DNA. Perhaps TNA or QNA like in science fiction movies.