• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

• Did you know you can upload your screenshots to your own Media section?.You can get ratings and comments on the uploaded material!

New Crop Textures

Fireinferno13

One Of Us, One of Us
Commoner
Credits
XP
NEW CROP TEXTURES
PURPOSE
Generate both new and more biologically accurate crop textures to be used throughout the server farmland.

NOTICE
This post will be updated as I generate new textures. I do not necessarily expect all textures to be used, however I will include additional growth stages because (a) I enjoy making them and (b) They could be helpful in the future.

TEXTURES

Corn [done]
corn_stage_0.png
corn_stage_1.png
corn_stage_2.png
corn_stage_3.png

Tomatoes [done]
tomato_stage0.png
tomato_stage1.png
tomato_stage2.png
tomato_stage3.png

Legumes [done]
stick_stage_0.png
legume_stage_0.png
legume_stage_3.png

stick_stage_1.png
legume_stage_1.png
legume_combo_stage_1.png

Parsnips [done]
parsnips_stage_0.png
parsnips_stage_1.png
parsnips_stage_2.png
parsnips_stage_3.png

Rye [done]
rye.png
rye2.png

Barley [done]
Note: stretch vertically by 1.5 - 2x
barley.png
barley2.png

Rapeseed [wip]

Tobacco [wip]

Last edited:
Added tomatoes!

Attachments

• tomato_stage0.png
    tomato_stage0.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,100
  • tomato_stage1.png
    tomato_stage1.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,100
  • tomato_stage2.png
    tomato_stage2.png
    4 KB · Views: 1,089
  • tomato_stage3.png
    tomato_stage3.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 1,097
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 10.07.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 10.07.02 PM.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 1,734
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 10.06.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 10.06.47 PM.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,389
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 10.06.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 10.06.56 PM.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 2,932
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 10.06.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 10.06.42 PM.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 2,184
Last edited:
Tomatoes are awesome (and mentioned in the books), but corn (maize) doesn't seem very fit for Tolkien's Europeanish Middle-earth, at least not our corner of it. Dunno. Anyway the tomatoes are nice, I think I suggested them myself in 2016 :p

Tomatoes are awesome (and mentioned in the books), but corn (maize) doesn't seem very fit for Tolkien's Europeanish Middle-earth, at least not our corner of it. Dunno. Anyway the tomatoes are nice, I think I suggested them myself in 2016 :p
Any other crops you'd like m'lord? Cabbage? Herbs? Beans? Peas?

Poopity scoop, scoopity doop
Why...

And as regards to corn. Parts of Lincolnshire, Norfolk and Nottinghamshire in the UK are very flat and renowned for it's Maize fields. Even the slightly more hilly East Yorkshire not too far from myself is fairly big on the corn front. I guess in some places, it wouldn't look too out of place :)

I do, however I do have to warn you, we will probably not use all stages as if you read this thread: The 3 Field System we only need certain ages of certain plants, however tbf all are welcome for possible future use!

If you could make these that would really help, if you could also make around 3 versions that would be awesone, as I can have it randomized in-game
- Rye Grain Plant (fully grown)
- Barley Grain Plant (fully grown)
- Oat Grain Plant (fully grown)
- Rice Grain Plant (fully grown)
- Buckwheat Grain Plant (fully grown, with flowers and without)
- Millet Grain Plant (fully grown)
- Rapseed Plant
- Bean Plant
- Pea Plant

<3 you Fire

If we have potatoes and tomatoes (and maybe tobacco), why not other New World crops (i.e. maize) as well? Also having that one corn field by Farmer Maggot's house is essential for recreating that one scene in the movie.

@Fireinferno13 parsnips are my favorite vegetable, can I have a texture please? :D

If you can convince me otherwise, I am happy to make them. Else I will continually update the main post with what I am making.

Also what about any herbs?

- Rye Grain Plant (fully grown)
- Barley Grain Plant (fully grown)
- Oat Grain Plant (fully grown)
- Rice Grain Plant (fully grown)
Okay lets be honest for a second - these would all look identical to each other even in 32bit. I honestly do not think they would be worth it?

- Buckwheat Grain Plant (fully grown, with flowers and without)
- Millet Grain Plant (fully grown)
- Rapseed Plant
These seem a little obscure, or is that just me? These would be easier though as they are a bit more unique.

- Bean Plant
- Pea Plant
Similar as my first concern, happy to do this one but they will be indistinguishable at 32bit.

@Fireinferno13 parsnips are my favorite vegetable, can I have a texture please? :D
Again, pretty similar to carrots/white onion textures.

Last edited:
Fire i love the textures! Only one concern: the fully grown tomatoes texture has a couple leaves that get cut of by the edge of the texture. Could u maybe look into removing those leaves or changing the texture a bit so there wouldn't be a visible edge? Thx for the help and keep up the good work!

Added legumes (peas and beans)
Fire i love the textures! Only one concern: the fully grown tomatoes texture has a couple leaves that get cut of by the edge of the texture. Could u maybe look into removing those leaves or changing the texture a bit so there wouldn't be a visible edge? Thx for the help and keep up the good work!
Fixed, also made the tomatoes a little less red.

Also what about any herbs?.
Yeah sure, I can make a list of these too, I was asking things in stages :p

Okay lets be honest for a second - these would all look identical to each other even in 32bit. I honestly do not think they would be worth it?

(In comparison to wheat)
- Rye Grain Plant (fully grown) Going to be much darker than wheat, and is usually wilting at the time of year of the server (only heads)
- Barley Grain Plant (fully grown) Usually much greener, taller and thinner, the crop also needs less space to its neighbour to grow so more tightly packed
- Oat Grain Plant (fully grown) They don't look like wheat, so... no worries, usually wilting, also taller
- Rice Grain Plant (fully grown) Again, nothing like wheat, will be growing in hopefully water as well with the new water plants we have, however we need texture to go pass the water line and also rice plants kind of start small in ground and spring up wider. So they are going to have a distinct space inbetween each other.

1547684280117.png
Hope this convinces you :p

These seem a little obscure, or is that just me? These would be easier though as they are a bit more unique.
Well where I lived in Switzerland, there were many fields of these plants and if not used in Gondor; I would like to use them in the Northern Men Villages when it comes to it.

Similar as my first concern, happy to do this one but they will be indistinguishable at 32bit.
Pea Plants climb poles and are the ones with the nice fancy curves.
I would want the Bean plants to be short and on the gorund with broader leaves.

Could probably make bean plants 2 blocks high.
I was thinking maybe more of that for peas. Also maybe making a unique model for it so the pole which holds it up looks more sturdy? What do you guys think of that?
I can make a version that is 2 blocks high instead as well.

In terms of creating a unique model for the texture, I will make a version with and without the pole. As long as it looks like the plant is climbing the pole (which is also @Credoo 's evening job), I will be happy.

I uploaded a texture for rye crops.

download.jpg

I also uploaded a texture for barley crops. For these it might be good to stretch 1.5 - 2x vertically in order to achieve the height that @BWOT mentioned.

images.jpg

Note: I included 2 slightly different versions for both, feel free to use either depending on which one you think looks better.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Hi all,

I updated my corn, wheat, potato, and carrot texture. I have found in game that, when set against the backdrop of our other textures, many of the crops were way too bright in my opinion. As such, I have just reduced the saturation just slightly and I think it looks significantly better in game. I would love if these were implemented @Eriol_Eandur @TotiGonzales . I have already begun to include them in my Rohan RP revamp.

old vs new
wheat_stage_7.png
wheat_stage7.png

Attachments

• New crops.zip
    73.9 KB · Views: 331