• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Finished Ost-in-Edhil

MaDIIReD

One Of Us, One of Us
Commoner
Credits
XP
After unfortunately spending one and a half months preoccupied with real life I finally had the time to finish it; thank you everyone that helped out by lending a hand.

irFSS7dOr3Vo9.jpg

Image on courtesy of Fresh

Any derps or things that have been missed can be posted here. They will then be swiftly rectified.

The whole city was ruined in a violent siege battle. Shouldnt it be much more destroyed? also, every single other Eregion village is waaaay more ruined. Why is Ost so much better preserved, even though it was attacked?

Why is Ost so much better preserved, even though it was attacked?

Because together with Credoo, Ryan and Homie it was decided to not ruin Ost-In-Edhil heavily. To preserve architectural features rather than to have a pile of uninteresting rubble. If you feel this was the wrong decision you should either PM one or all of them about it or speak to them on teamspeak.

I personally like the current state of ruining better, and if the decision were to be made for it to be more ruined I would not be the one doing it.

then perhaps the other villages should be revamped?
What lasts longer: a giant city or a small town? That's right, towns aren't around after several decades. Cities however have a more sturdy construction. Look at the old roman builds that are still around. I think the mix of heavely ruined in towns with a pretty wel preserved city looks good although one could argue that it's not balanced out.

What lasts longer: a giant city or a small town? That's right, towns aren't around after several decades. Cities however have a more sturdy construction. Look at the old roman builds that are still around. I think the mix of heavely ruined in towns with a pretty wel preserved city looks good although one could argue that it's not balanced out.

Comparing Ost-in-Edhil to Rome is not really a valid argument. Ost-in-Edhil was ravaged and destroyed by the armies of Sauron 4'700 years before the server is set - in our world, that's around the same time as the Egyptian Old Kingdom was founded. A more valid comparison would be the ruins of Troy VII - it was once a city, destroyed by war and fire before the Romans, and now there are only a few walls left (and even those have been revealed only through careful excavation). Ost-in-Edhil is also positioned at the confluence of two rivers, which would heavily contribute to increased natural erosion beyond the destruction caused in the siege. Even if the comparison were valid, I challenge you to find a Roman structure that still has a near-complete roof.

Now I do understand that you wanted to preserve the structure and look of the city, but as it is Ost-in-Edhil looks as if it was peacefully abandoned 100 years ago, not destroyed nearly five millennia ago, and there isn't really a rationale for that beyond aesthetics.

I agree with Fornad on the point that if we were going to be true to the lore it should be ruined more, but I also agree with the idea that we should leave it as is for the aesthetic effect because no one wants to see a pile of rubble when they come to the server.

The city of troy is a hill. Do you want to replace the city with a slight bump in the terrain and call it Ost-In-Edhill? There would not even be any rubble left on the surface.
The only reason it is as it is now is aestethics, and that is the way it is. Once more I shall refer you to our build admins: Homie, Credoo and Ryan

The city of troy is a hill. Do you want to replace the city with a slight bump in the terrain and call it Ost-In-Edhill?

No, and I didn't say that I did. It's just that Will was trying to justify how intact Ost is with reasons other than aesthetics, and I'm a history nerd.

Last edited:
It's pretty pointless to argue over this point right now. First, Mad said to talk to cred, ryan, or homie. Second, nobody is going to want to go back and re-ruin it until we have at least made considerable progress on Gondor.