• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Planned Infrastructure Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

q220

Eru Iluvatar
Staff member
Supporter
Credits
XP
I managed to strike a pretty good deal with the current datacenter where I have all the servers located. It comes down to an average upgrade on processing power and a great one for data throughput (better connection and raid SSDs), while cutting down the monthly price of that server by 60%.

In the not so far future, Build will be moved over to that server box, and will be temporarly unavailabl during the progress. An announcement will be posted when this happens.

None really, this package is being sold cheaper than what I had to pay for a year ago. Basically the processor is a great upgrade for Minecraft (you don't need a gazillion of cores, but you want best single thread performance cpus. Basically a dualcore at 3.70Ghz would work much better than a octactore at 3.40 Ghz) Memory remained the same. But instead of having platters and an SSD extension (which required a special package) they now offer SSDs in raid, without the need of that package (which is already 25 dollars less a month).

None really, this package is being sold cheaper than what I had to pay for a year ago. Basically the processor is a great upgrade for Minecraft (you don't need a gazillion of cores, but you want best single thread performance cpus. Basically a dualcore at 3.70Ghz would work much better than a octactore at 3.40 Ghz) Memory remained the same. But instead of having platters and an SSD extension (which required a special package) they now offer SSDs in raid, without the need of that package (which is already 25 dollars less a month).

Thats the hottest thing I have heard today.

Make VERY certain you also get a mechanical hard drive to perform daily backups to. Unlike mechanical drives, SSDs tend to fail more or less at the same time, meaning you will likely have VERY little warning between when the first one fails and you lose all your data. This is a very dangerous situation.

Note: I work in a datacenter, and I am an experienced systems administrator. Be VERY careful doing this.

That's what we're all asking . Nobody's been told anything. Which leaves me wondering because this should have been a 4-hour job, tops.

Dont get yo panties in a bunch kids, the server will be back soon (tm)

Until then, go enjoy the beutiful summer weather outdoors. Middle Earth isnt goin anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.