• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Project, western Isles

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireFuss

Hardcore MCME-er
Supporter
Credits
XP
How long have you been on the server?: Quite a while
What is your current rank?:Artist
Who have you contacted to help you out with this project?:Otho
Have you been part in any projects before? If yes elaborate what you did:Is this a joke?
Is the project on the list of available projects? No it isn't
In what amount of time do you think this project will get done (rough guess)? Month or so

Template: I plan to have the trusty @otho clear out the current islands that occupy the area where the new ones will go. I will reference Tolkien's maps to best decide on the layout of the 3 main islands, Himling, Tol Fuin and Tol Morwen. I will then plot the extents of the islands and their locations for Otho to vox/WE back into place. I will then personally work on some other details amongst the 3 islands.

<Project leader, reserve leader and designer(optional)>
firefuss, with help from Otho

<Background lore>

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Western_Isles
http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Stone_of_the_Hapless

The 3 islands that make up the western Isles consist of Tol Fuin, the largest of the three which were the highlands of Beleriand before it was consumed by waves, after the War of Wrath. It is also believed more recently that elves once used the island as a "rest stop" on their way to the Undying Lands (will reference) So there is a possibility to create ruined elvish structures or camps there. Himling, the small island closest to Middle Earths coast was once Himring, a mountain with the Elvish fortress of Maedhros. It was also destroyed in the War of Wrath, but the peak of the mountain which was flattened off remained above the waters as a small island now known as Himling. (Not know to ever be occupied in the 2nd-3rd age) Tol Morwen is the burial site of Morwen Eledhwen, mother of Turin Turambar. The small Island also is home to the Stone of the Hapless, also known as the Standing Stone, and Talbor. This was a hallowed stone standing by the banks of a river in Beleriand to commemorate Morwen, and her children Turin and Nienor. The stone did not drown in the flooding of Beleriand and is believed to stand to this age.

<Short Introduction to the project> I love the amount of detail we put into everything. That being said, if you stroll on over to these islands as they are now its not very impressive. I'd just like to do my part to a little piece of the server that holds a special place in my heart. After all, during survival on this map, it was MY ISLAND!

<Dynamap screenshot with mapped out plan>

<Concept art>
Didier_Willis_-_Location_of_Tol_Morwen.png
G
iving you an idea of the island spacing, estimated locations before the flooding of Beleriand.

<Detailed structured plan of the project preferably in stage's>

1. Oth wipes the area clean
2. I create the extents of the islands
3. Oth voxels/WE the islands in
4. Terrain/tree work ect
<Possible Adventurer jobs that can be run in said project>
1. trees to be pasted in
2. river/water/lake thingies

<FAQ section for public forum>

I love the idea of this project. After this we could say we have made Beleriand :)
Do you know if a big part of mount Himring survived? If yes, we could have ancient elven structures on that island.
And if you need any help on this project, Id like to volunteer

I was in the process of planning exactly this project, though I was going to start with Himring. This is what I get for dawdling. From what I found yourie, it's not certain what could have survived the War of Wrath. Though the top survived, and it was ancient elven architecture, it's up to us to decide just how much lasted amongst the weather of a tempest ocean for thousands of years. Hope you guys do great work.

Isn't Tol Morwen off the edge of the map?

Yes, according to lore its about 100-125 miles west of Forlindon. As it sits, I'd have to make Himling pretty close to shore, and Tol Fuin around the middle of the "sea" area with Tol Morwen very close to the edge..

I was in the process of planning exactly this project, though I was going to start with Himring. This is what I get for dawdling. From what I found yourie, it's not certain what could have survived the War of Wrath. Though the top survived, and it was ancient elven architecture, it's up to us to decide just how much lasted amongst the weather of a tempest ocean for thousands of years. Hope you guys do great work.

It's stated a few places that the top of the mount is the only thing left, and that the fortress there was destroyed during the War of Wrath. All that is left is the mountain "peak" which was apparently flattened out at one point, but is barren now. Nothing is known to be there since the end of the 1st age

after giving it a look, Im confident that with a few subtle moves, I'll be able to get Tol Morwen close enough to the edge that the actual edge doesn't load and look funny... but Also be far enough away from Tol Fuin that it seems actually FAR. Also, by offsetting the islands in a very oddly shaped triangle you can create the illusion of even more space between them, and stay within lore of how the islands were situated.

For instance..

west%20isles_zpsf8yx9loa.png

The small island to the right, Himling is nearly 500 blocks straight off shore from mainland. The big island is roughly another 200 blocks from Himling. And going the shortest route from the big island Tol Fuin to Tol Morwen is another 550-600 blocks. No short trip when you get down to it.

Is Tol Fuin going to retain it's Taur-nu-Fuin state as defiled? It seems to me more than the peaks/highlands persist on this isle, perhaps even below sea level. This says to me that vegetation may have survived the Wrath. If this remains the case, it may be a land now returned to peace. Be that as it may, the wastes Morgoth persisted without help in different lands. If this path is chosen, Tol Fuin would make sense as an isle as decently sized as it is to be utterly abandoned even by any men. Though Tol Morwen was said to never be exactly discovered, Tol Fuin would easily have been. Just trying to spitball so that my efforts were not all in vain.

Is Tol Fuin going to retain it's Taur-nu-Fuin state as defiled? It seems to me more than the peaks/highlands persist on this isle, perhaps even below sea level. This says to me that vegetation may have survived the Wrath. If this remains the case, it may be a land now returned to peace. Be that as it may, the wastes Morgoth persisted without help in different lands. If this path is chosen, Tol Fuin would make sense as an isle as decently sized as it is to be utterly abandoned even by any men. Though Tol Morwen was said to never be exactly discovered, Tol Fuin would easily have been. Just trying to spitball so that my efforts were not all in vain.

Tol Fuin is said to have been used as a rest stop by elves on their way to the Undying Lands.

Himling however, from all the lore I've found states that only a barren flattened mountain top remains above the waters.

I'm planning on making even ruins/camps on Tol Fuin. But with the sea level at 12. It doesn't give much room to make a ruined fortress around the isle of himling.

Tol Fuin is said to have been used as a rest stop by elves on their way to the Undying Lands.

Himling however, from all the lore I've found states that only a barren flattened mountain top remains above the waters.

I'm planning on making even ruins/camps on Tol Fuin. But with the sea level at 12. It doesn't give much room to make a ruined fortress around the isle of himling.
I mean, Himring was basically a hill fort. But considering the thousands of years that have passed... The earth probably would have swallowed any ruins that were there. Can't stop you from making some grade A terrain that looks like it could be the foundation for a fort though.

I'll see myself out :p. I shouldn't have went against superior lore knowledge. Excited to see how it turns out the right way and not with my ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.