• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

The Philosophy of Roads

because of obvious limitations what needs to be represented is the overall state of the road. overall most roads are maintained to at least some level, particularly ones which are well travelled in peaceful areas.
Well, the roads in Rohan wouldn't count for this, partially because they would currently have higher priorities than excellent road repair, and also since most people have a horse, so if the road gets too bad cross-grasslands travel would work fine.

Well, the roads in Rohan wouldn't count for this, partially because they would currently have higher priorities than excellent road repair, and also since most people have a horse, so if the road gets too bad cross-grasslands travel would work fine.
if you look at the roads textures in rohan, especially the color scheme, you'll notice they are neither paved nor gravel. The texture is grass which has been trodden on and dirt patches (which have been really trodden on). so they don't need to be repaired since they can't really

Yeah, I think the roads in Rohan make perfect sense given their culture.

@Jetfire301 You make a good point, and I agree that many roads would make sense they way they are. However, I guess my thought was that some of the "best" (i.e. most important) roads in Gondor wouldn't be limited to cobblestone, and instead might be viewed as made of flagstone/brick, which would be presumably more durable. In addition, if you've ever seen a real cobblestone road, they're not just a bunch of random stones buried in the dirt, but instead stones held together by mortar or cement. Provided they're well-maintained, you wouldn't see much of any grass or weeds growing between them. Like I said though, this is just one dude's opinion, and I know it's all a matter of interpretation.

Yeah, I think the roads in Rohan make perfect sense given their culture.

@Jetfire301 You make a good point, and I agree that many roads would make sense they way they are. However, I guess my thought was that some of the "best" (i.e. most important) roads in Gondor wouldn't be limited to cobblestone, and instead might be viewed as made of flagstone/brick, which would be presumably more durable. In addition, if you've ever seen a real cobblestone road, they're not just a bunch of random stones buried in the dirt, but instead stones held together by mortar or cement. Provided they're well-maintained, you wouldn't see much of any grass or weeds growing between them. Like I said though, this is just one dude's opinion, and I know it's all a matter of interpretation.
Very true, we could all argue on for years about the exact correct way to portray roads, and get almost nowhere! It really is almost all up to opinion.

Aristotle_Altemps_Inv8575.jpg

Hmm... roads...