• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Unrestricted access to Fly-mod by Non Staff Members

Do you think non-staff should have access to Fly-Mod?

• Total voters
And I think enforcers have it because the other staff have it, but do you guys really need it?
I could think of reasons for enforcers to have it, such as getting to a rulebreaker quicker if he is not near a warp (Unless they have tp opposed to call/accept)

I don't see a problem nowadays with everyone except ob's having flymod if we don't have to make a guide to get it, have no problems with that mod on main, have no with flymodders annoying things/people that are busy.

The lag thing is a big issue if it would occur. Does anyone have any practical data about how much it might slow down the server?

q has been running the server for coming up to 4 years now, he's had a lot of experience with it, he knows exactly what kind of power the system has and has a pretty good idea of what the system can handle.
If q believes that giving people access to fly mods has the potential to cause a lot of lag then you should take his world for it, he tries to make players lives as fun as possible but he's not going to risk the potential harm it can have on the server just so people can travel a little bit faster. Flymod is a luxury and at the end of the day no one needs it on the server it is there so that people who do a lot of terrain work can get around quickly so they can work more quickly, I was a ranger for a year and half and at no point did I need fly mod, I've been a officer for nearly a year now and I haven't needed flymod this year either.
The strongest argument anyone has come up with so far is "we should have it because why shouldn't we" which quite frankly is petty and has no substance, it has the potential to do harm (both from a grief and lag point of view) and so isn't worth the risk.

The ‘lag’ argument is quite misinformed. Bukkit’s chunk loading is threaded, it’s effect on the actual server tick is nowhere near as drastic as is being made out.

I recommend to any builder to utilise a flymod where they can. It allows for quicker assessments of builds both from a distance, and at various angles. The process of making adjustments & checking them becomes much more fluid (more time thinking/building, less time fighting with vanilla's slow, clunky creative flight) - which can help produce better looking stuff in the process.

Last edited:
Some of the reactions on this thread make me sad...

Now what do I actually think about it? Don't give it to adventurers for sure. New people should not be zipping around the map in seconds, let them experience the map and take it in slowly.

As for guides and artists. I can see it very sporadically being mildly convenient when touring, other than that not at all. For artists it would shave 2 seconds off flying away to look at your build from a distance, woop dee doo. There's no need for guides/artists to have it, and there is no need for guides/artists not to have it. So should they? Imo it really doesn't matter.

It comes down to an: 'I like nice things' argument, and there is nothing wrong with that. A decision just has to be made wether high speed flight will be kept as a perk for staff members, or if everyone should have it. Alternatively as dallen suggested it could have a capped speed for non staff members.

I personally think high speed flight should be reserved for staff members and that plebeians such as yourselves should not have access to it. I will opress and lord over anyone who suggests otherwise and as an enforcer make new rules to stop them.
-MaD

If you can write a well written response as to why they need it then I'd consider it
For grins.

If flymod can be shut off automatically after a certain number of people are in the server Id imagine the lag dilemma is solved.

Moderation is not censorship, nor is it a means to force one's ideology onto others.

Please be more respectful when addressing one another, as we are a community and will act like one.

Hmm, okay.

i-338d0379a341feab51d95f6e50b07a69-irony.gif

Last edited:
@pheonixsang , i'm sorry, but I realy have a problem with what you said there. Even in the whole context of this thread.
I don't think she was referring to all adventurers, because clearly, some adventurers, such as yourself, are trusted. It's just that you can't differentiate between the trusted and not trusted in a permissions file.

The ‘lag’ argument is quite misinformed. Bukkit’s chunk loading is threaded, it’s effect on the actual server tick is nowhere near as drastic as is being made out.

I recommend to any builder to utilise a flymod where they can. It allows for quicker assessments of builds both from a distance, and at various angles. The process of making adjustments & checking them becomes much more fluid (more time thinking/building, less time fighting with vanilla's slow, clunky creative flight) - which can help produce better looking stuff in the process.

I'd like more reiteration on this, especially with some thoughts from Q on the overall server performance experience; Break it Down more thoroughly but in Layman's Terms so everyone understands.

After reading all the replies thus far (and formulating an overall perspective), I don't see why giving the ability for players to utilise a mod to experience the server, at a faster pace, should be sanctioned. I really don't, since what gives anyone the overall right to determine why and how a person cannot experience the map on the server. The only argument I would put on this is the ability for players to save packets of information 'chunks' faster off the server as you may all know is 'Downloading the Map'. Again it's hard to determine if someone is unless you monitor their travelling patterns for quite sometime, you'd have to enquire into the matter.

I noticed with a previous statement by someone implying that it would be hard to coordinate tours, well with expression from the Guide to tell his people to follow them on tour (and maybe get them on teamspeak), hopefully the individual can open his ears and listen. But if they want to fly off, so be it.

Also if people were to keep asking; "How do you install, run and control this?".. Hopefully someone can write up a good guide and upload it as a resource. People can then suggest them a link or hopefully have the decency to assist them. Again if they keep nagging, theres always the line in the TOS;

Spamming chat repeatedly with the same questions that can be answered by reading the faq, searching the forums or new player guide, will result in a ban

It's not like your giving every single person on the server fly mod. All your doing is giving everyone the ability to use it, if they so choose. Which as it appears, would actually be a small population. However, there's still a good number of people who would like access to it. And there are a number of reasons why one would want access to it.

It actually enhances touring the server imo. I'd rather see those nice mountains far off in the distance, and be able to get over to them quickly, and check them out, instead of having to spend ages getting over there with normal fly. Or fly fast overhead a city and take it in at multiple angles. Tbh its kinda hard to describe, but if you actually used flymod to tour the server, you can tell its a much different, and better, experience than you get with normal fly.
Its also extremely helpful for people trying to take screenshots of large areas. It allows you to get to chunks that have deloaded faster, and explore multiple angles, and then get to a good angle to take a picture before anything else deloads.
And also like dags said, its rather useful for building, at times, as well.

But what i really don't understand is why people seem to be acting like its some ridiculous, and dramatic, demand; when its really just a simple request. Its not something we need, no. But its something that quite a few people would like to have. And i dont see why a simple luxury should be restricted, unless of course there is good reason.
Now, if there is a legitimate reason for us not to have access to it (such as lag, or like iru said possibly downloading of the map) then ok, that's fine. But then maybe artists could be trusted enough with it? A smaller pool of users, and for the most part "trusted" users? I dont know, but its a suggestion.

It DOES cause lag. And here's why:

Moving faster causes the game client to pull chunks from the server more rapidly. At a certain point you're requesting chunks faster than the server can give them and the client can load them. This causes strain on the server's CPU as well as networking. This is the technical aspect of why it causes lag. Minecraft is a horribly inefficient game as it stands. It is NOT hard to overload a server's networking and CPU this way. Flymod needs to stay restricted. It's a Bad Thing™.