• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Valar and Maiar

Eaglz24

Involved Member
Credits
XP
So I had an idea the other day, that will probably not even be considered, but i'm gonna say it anyway.
I was reading the Silmarillion again and somehow an idea came to my mind about the Valar and their helpers ( kinda ) the Maiar. And how we can kinda do something like that. Since we have our Designers ( Valar ) and out Artists ( The Maiar ) I thought it would be cool if we had like a name in front kinda like this:

We are going to use our well known friend Swaglordbob here,

Right now its:

Artist Swaglordbob
Designer Swaglordbob

Maybe we could change it to:

Maiar Swaglordbob
Valar Swaglordbob

Or:

{Artist} Maiar Swaglordbob or Maiar {Artist} Swaglordbob
{Designer} Valar Swaglordbob or Valar {Designer} Swaglordbob

There are some examples of what I was thinking. There some issues I have thought of as well such as:
- Too long of a name
- Might be a bit confusing for people who haven't read the Silmarillion
There might be a lot more but those are just some of the simple ones.

I think it would make a lot of sense to add it, and would bring something unique rather than boring old
Artist Swaglordbob / Designer Swaglordbob. We don't have very many Silmarillion ( If any ) features on mcme, and would definitely be cool if it was added.

Idk, this was just a random idea that came to me, let me know what you guys think, thanks

-Ulmo_ ( Former known as Eaglz )

We had a discussion among staff once when the rank changes happened (i think that was before you joined) and I brought up a few "lore-accurate" rank namings:

REFERENCE: Todays ranks:
Oathbreaker
Adventurer
Guide
Artist
Designer
Enforcer
Head Designer & Head Enforcer
Eru Ilúvatar

LORE VARIANTS:
Oathbreaker: Thats okay and I wouldnt change it as this one is clearly comprehensible
Adventurer: This is awesome like that, supported by the often heard "I'm going on an adventure!" quote aswell as one of the main expected actions of people with that rank.
Ranger: Rangers if the North, people who know their way around the map.
Artist: I dont know if this term ever appears in Tolkiens writing, but one speaks often of "Elvish arts" and a person doing those art is an Artist.
Jewelsmith: In Tolkiens writings Arts seem to take in a fairly small importance and thus its hard to find a race-neutral term that is in the lore and covers all activities of Build Mods. . .
Guard (Ex-Enforcer/Bounder), reference to the Guards of the Citadel, the elite-soldiers of Gondor that protect MT's 7th level
Vala
Eru Ilúvatar
------------------------------------
A bit more bold list using the races of Middle-Earth:

Orc, or with a nice matching double meaning: Troll
Hobbit
Dúnadan (pl. Dúnedain)
Dwarf
Elf

Istar (pl. Istari)
Vala (pl. Valar)
Eru Ilúvatar
-----------------------

Or:
Oathbreaker

Adventurer
Ranger
Artist
Maia (pl. Maiar)
Istar (pl. Istari)
Vala (pl. Valar)
Eru Ilúvatar

However the reason why in the end we sticked to non-lore ranks was, as you said, to respect people that arent so steadfast in the lore and thus having rank names that are self-explaining.

We had a discussion among staff once when the rank changes happened (i think that was before you joined) and I brought up a few "lore-accurate" rank namings:

REFERENCE: Todays ranks:
Oathbreaker
Adventurer
Guide
Artist
Designer
Enforcer
Head Designer & Head Enforcer
Eru Ilúvatar

LORE VARIANTS:
Oathbreaker: Thats okay and I wouldnt change it as this one is clearly comprehensible
Adventurer: This is awesome like that, supported by the often heard "I'm going on an adventure!" quote aswell as one of the main expected actions of people with that rank.
Ranger: Rangers if the North, people who know their way around the map.
Artist: I dont know if this term ever appears in Tolkiens writing, but one speaks often of "Elvish arts" and a person doing those art is an Artist.
Jewelsmith: In Tolkiens writings Arts seem to take in a fairly small importance and thus its hard to find a race-neutral term that is in the lore and covers all activities of Build Mods. . .
Guard (Ex-Enforcer/Bounder), reference to the Guards of the Citadel, the elite-soldiers of Gondor that protect MT's 7th level
Vala
Eru Ilúvatar
------------------------------------
A bit more bold list using the races of Middle-Earth:

Orc, or with a nice matching double meaning: Troll
Hobbit
Dúnadan (pl. Dúnedain)
Dwarf
Elf

Istar (pl. Istari)
Vala (pl. Valar)
Eru Ilúvatar
-----------------------

Or:
Oathbreaker

Adventurer
Ranger
Artist
Maia (pl. Maiar)
Istar (pl. Istari)
Vala (pl. Valar)
Eru Ilúvatar

However the reason why in the end we sticked to non-lore ranks was, as you said, to respect people that arent so steadfast in the lore and thus having rank names that are self-explaining.
Also, I really don't think that Designers and Artists are high up enough to represent demigods.

Plus, would you know what the maiar rank represents just by looking at it?
Artist, designer, enforcer, guide, they are all names where you can figure out their tasks pretty easily if you use some logic. That's the power behind those rank names.
Just wanted to mention that.

Plus, would you know what the maiar rank represents just by looking at it?
Artist, designer, enforcer, guide, they are all names where you can figure out their tasks pretty easily if you use some logic. That's the power behind those rank names.
Just wanted to mention that.
Agreed, lore accuracy can only go so far.