• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

• Did you know you can upload your screenshots to your own Media section?.You can get ratings and comments on the uploaded material!

Writing Workshop

These are awesome:D The setting descriptions establish the mood of the story very well. Your writing style seems quite similar to Tolkien's (coincidence...I think not).

My only question, referencing #1, is: how is a laugh "a deep bellied laugh" but also "high and raspy?" It would be like a cross between Santa and Voldemort:rolleyes:

I want to see what happens:p So much cliff hanger...

Ignoring the few grammatical errors, I think both are great settings. They both *piqued my interest. I'd be interested to see working titles, they are sometimes interesting.

All right, here is my feedback for number one. Click the words that are marked to get the correct annotation to pop up.
I might do number two tomorrow, as it takes quite some time to go through them.

If you are trying to write a book I'll tell you this: write (like you have done with these pieces) the entire book first, leaving all mistakes as they are, then go back and revise. If you don't you'll never finish anything.

A couple comments directly on Mad's (because I don't want to do more productive things).
1st paragraph, I would correct to "in wonder at its purpose" not "wonders of"
Is it really that big of a deal if you repeat articles?

Is it really that big of a deal if you repeat articles?
Repeating words? Ya it's bad, it's really noticeable when you are reading and the same word pops up two+ times in one or two sentences. It takes people out of the story, and makes them notice the writing in stead.

Repeating words? Ya it's bad, it's really noticeable when you are reading and the same word pops up two+ times in one or two sentences. It takes people out of the story, and makes them notice the writing in stead.
But not all words, just articles. I.e. "the". Seems awfully trivial to me.

Sounds like some of the stuff i'm slinging around has potential. Thanks for the grammar edits as well, a lot of it is laziness, after writing countless papers over the school year i tend to get that way, lol. But there are a few errors in there that i wouldn't have noticed, as they've sort of become bad habits of mine.
If you are trying to write a book I'll tell you this: write (like you have done with these pieces) the entire book first, leaving all mistakes as they are, then go back and revise. If you don't you'll never finish anything.
My original intent was to write a short story, but I've gotten a few more ideas bouncing around my head, so i may just start writing and see where things take me.

Also, i started writing these tests in the third person, using "he" as sort of a placeholder for a name. But I've grown rather fond of this crazy idea of removing the protagonists name entirely, and referring to "him" only as "he". It might prove hard to keep things clear in certain scenes with other people, but i think i could do it, as well as still develop the character without a name. I guess it leaves an air of mystery to the character, but would also leave him open for the reader to sort of develop a bit on their own, as they read and learn more about him. It was just a far fetched idea i had that i thought might be fun. Opinions?

Last edited:
I don't know about the whole story, it would depend on the length. I think it's a great way to open the piece with, though.
This idea is kind of far-fetched, but if you were to only refer to the main character as He (and its various forms), keeping it capitalized, that would imo both separate the character from other pronouns and let him stay nameless.

Also, i started writing these tests in the third person, using "he" as sort of a placeholder for a name. But I've grown rather fond of this crazy idea of removing the protagonists name entirely, and referring to "him" only as "he". It might prove hard to keep things clear in certain scenes with other people, but i think i could it, as well as still develop the character without a name. I guess it leaves an air of mystery to the character, but would also leave him open for the reader to sort of develop a bit on their own, as they read and learn more about him. It was just a far fetched idea i had that i thought might be fun. Opinions?
I think it depends on what you want the main focus of the story to be. If you wanted the story to be focused on the protagonist, then I would give him a name. However, if the story is supposed to be centered around the plot, antagonist, or something else, I would leave him nameless. Also, I agree that it makes the character more mysterious.

Currently, I like it because it makes the reader focus entirely on the setting, which seems to be what you want:)

but i think i could it
what?:p