• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

An honest Message to the Enforcement

Traditionally MCME simply had the Head Enforcer handle all Enforcer promotions, the Head Designer handled all Designer promotions, and the Head Guide handled all Guide promotions.

Seems a simpler and smoother way of doing things.
Thanks Jord that a reasonable suggestion, doesnt require much change and would be a lot more effective in my opinion.
Except that the Heads don't have the time to singlehandedly take care of all the applications.

@ryttyr The thing is though that there are two head designers atm and the head enforcer only has to focus on the enforcers, not the enforcers and the guides anymore, so it is quite feasible, as the enforcer and designer applications are not the common apps, like artist and guide.

This may seem like placing the blame on someone other than myself, not my intention, mind you. But in my ban appeal, which if I may share, I made it quite clear I griefed the map to make a point about how enforcement was being handled. People were being banned for making memes, publishing private conversations with staff that seemed to contradicted their public stance, and having harsh criticism. Im sure you all remember it was a consideration that anyone associated with the m3m3team should be banned preemptively. Me griefing Rauros was a huge protest gestured towards that fact. I wasn't going to be banned for helping make a meme, I was going to be banned for actually doing something my drunk 3:00am self was going to be proud of. And look at the results? I oddly proved all these points right. I'm back on the server unbanned, unable to do any more harm, but unbanned while there's still people banned for making memes and actively going against the staff here. Is that fair? Should I be banned still? This isn't to spit on the face of the forgiving staff who empathized and let me back on. But letting me back on proved me right. And that should make you think seriously about this, and not pull the, "oh, change doesn't happen overnight" card. When I clearly changed from a fairly neutral individual to a alcohol influenced griefer in less than 4 hours, and was unbanned 8 months later. That's a lot of change for 8 months.

Now about the other topics being discussed.

You know, it's amazing to me that two head designers can't handle all the designer applications when the equivalent rank elsewhere, not naming where AMIRIGHT, is able to process over 30 applications in a month while 'enforcing' rules and making sure multiple projects are held to a standard. And remember, there's only three major projects even running concurrently here

@dav3ck and for all those non-staff members. There is (and forever has) been a specific thread in the Staff area of the forums called "Staff Considerations Thread" where any Admin, Enforcer, or Designer can give input into the applications received. It is my understanding that a revised Enforcer manual was made an open Resource so that any can check out what goes on in Infraction recording.

Traditionally MCME simply had the Head Enforcer handle all Enforcer promotions, the Head Designer handled all Designer promotions, and the Head Guide handled all Guide promotions.

Seems a simpler and smoother way of doing things.
This is still how it is done. However, we have discussions about the applicants as we need to make sure we have a properly functioning staff team.

Now about the other topics being discussed.

You know, it's amazing to me that two head designers can't handle all the designer applications when the equivalent rank elsewhere, not naming where AMIRIGHT, is able to process over 30 applications in a month while 'enforcing' rules and making sure multiple projects are held to a standard. And remember, there's only three major projects even running concurrently here
There is no problem in handling designer applications.

I think that i then was misinformate @DynoDaring , I asked a designer about this, and he told me, for example that designers had no say in awaywinds promotion. (Just an example, im sure away is a fine enforcer). If this is the case I apologize.

Dave had anyone wanted to say something all they had to do is post in the thread on the staff forums, all applications can be reviewed by any staff. for example i commonly run guide applicants by at least one enforcer but if a designer had something to say they just need to pm me. the Staff Considerations thread is a blanket thread for all staff apps or players with potential to be discussed for staff rank.

In our Enforcer meeting yesterday (07/15/18) this thread was discussed, as well as how Enforcers will continue in the future. There are some new changes being implemented to help address the various concerns mentioned. I will try to address the items mentioned.

I will state that in no uncertain terms are Enforcers better than Designers, (or even think themselves above them). These are 2 distinctly different Staff ranks each with their own roles/job description that are equally level and both ranks are promoted (and expected) to conduct themselves in a fair and mature manner. If any Staff member (whether Enforcer/Designer) think their rank gives them special privilege or exception to the Terms of Service they need to understand the rules are designed to include all ranks.

Probably the most important item coming from the meeting, is the forming of a "Rules Committee" which will consist of one member from each rank (Commoner-Vala). This group will review our ToS and current Infraction tables which are severely outdated (Enforcers use these tables deal with any rule breaking). @MaDIIReD will be in charge of the committee as an impartial moderator and will be making a post with more details later this week.

For any Designer or non-Staff who wish to understand how Enforcers handle punishments I've copied the 1st OB table below as an example. Keep in mind these tables were partly still based on non-worldguarded old map.
First Degree Oathbreaker

Infraction​

Amount / Circumstance​

• Unauthorized modification of the world
  • Building things during jobs and plotbuilds that are clearly off what the instructions spell.

• 10+ block modifications (1st warning/time)
  • During jobs: Not stopping after more than one warning

Minor Social Indiscretions

• Spam chat (after 1st warning)
  • Use of Derogatory/Explicit language (after 1st warning)
  • Political / Religious commentary in-game (after warning and kick)

Ignoring direction from Staff member

Ignoring guidelines or direction of staff members (after warning and kick)

Chat related items
This is probably the hardest part of being an Enforcer because of the subjectivity of intentions and also the most common reason Enforcers fall under such scrutiny. As you can see from the table, for example, what counts as spam chat? If you ask 20 players of any rank they'll give you a different answer. In game Enforcer are required to make decisions based on what is typed in chat and try to understand the mindset of the player in question. The removal of the age limit and whitelist brought about the "family-friendly" server setting and irregardless of the average age of most MCME players requires a certain amount of "censorship" for lack of a better word.
Personally if a new player says in chat "Minas Tirith is "$%^" awesome" I'm inclined to thank them but politely ask them not to use profanity in public/open chat. By the same token, if the players says "you're a "^&*$#" idiot" that's a derogatory and harassing comment.

Any action an Enforcer takes regarding Staff (specifically demotion or bans) must first be directed to the respective "Head" rank of that player before action is taken. There is however a paragraph in the new Enforcer manual which clearly defines "First Responder Action (emergency ban)" As initially mentioned Staff are promoted and are expected to act in a mature and responsible manner in their interactions with players under them. As example if a staff member break a public chat rule it sheds a bad light on all staff that we don't follow our own rules.

This post is much longer than I originally expected. The commissioning of a Rules Committee will hopefully provide a better system moving forward.

Last edited: