• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Andrast

It's not about destroying the eventual sailing pirate boats, but about preventing them to approach.
Yes of course, soldiers and ships are useful too, but one protection is better than two, heh :) . This kind of logic sounds to me like "nobody needs fortresses, give them an army big enough and nobody will ever pass the frontier". In my opinion, it's all about not doing things oversized for what it is, and that fortress wasn't what I would call "huge", nor even really big. Plus the fortress also provide lodging for those soldiers.

Plus it would also controll the pass better.

I actually think it's one of the wisest place to put a fortress that is not already mentioned in Tolkien's writings.

It's not about destroying the eventual sailing pirate boats, but about preventing them to approach.
Yes of course, soldiers and ships are useful too, but one protection is better than two, heh :) . This kind of logic sounds to me like "nobody needs fortresses, give them an army big enough and nobody will ever pass the frontier". In my opinion, it's all about not doing things oversized for what it is, and that fortress wasn't what I would call "huge", nor even really big. Plus the fortress also provide lodging for those soldiers.

Plus it would also controll the pass better.

I actually think it's one of the wisest place to put a fortress that is not already mentioned in Tolkien's writings.
If I had enough pirates/ships to launch a fairly large raiding party (cough...corsairs...cough) that fortress wouldn't deter me at all....it didn't have any cannons or anything to sink ships, and I'm sure that the Corsairs could take the soldiers present in that fortress...the men of Gondor feared them for a reason.

A fortress will always deter more men than no fortress, and will always be more effective than no fortress in case of actual attack, it's a matter of facts. Of course, you can always find enough men to defeat it, but that is also the case for Minas Tirith, Angband or any fortress that ever existed and will ever exist.

Last edited:
A fortress will always deter more men than no fortress, and will always be more effective than no fortress at all in case of actual attack, it's a matter of facts. Of course, you can always find enough men to defeat it, but that is also the case for Minas Tirith, Angband or any fortress that ever existed and will ever exist.
I see your point, although I don't think that this fortress is even in the same ballpark as Minas Tirith in term of holding up to attacks.

Ras Morthil could have been a strategical point since it's halfway between Pelargir and Lond Daer, and also a strategical point since it's the only way through the west by land. But other designers pointed out that the fortress was to massive. Lighthouse, watchtower, wall, village a small dock it's enough since we don't have clear information in the lore. Umbar pirates won't be a problem since they can't reach the docks with their ships since it's too dangerous to go to much near the shores so they would need to go with small boats and they would have been slaughtered easilly since they would have been an easy target. Also a land attack it's hard aswell since Ras Morthil entries are a tunnel and a walled small passage. Also all andrast has a watchtower system (no longer completely used tho) that allerts the others watchtower the presence of any threats. Like normans did in sicily in the 9th century AD for prevent any saracens raids or landing

Last edited:
Might have to make a new thread for andrast altogether giving updates such as, the plan for vegetation and stuffs so I would possibly expect something like that within the week hopefully. Also as far as daily updates go... being the physics of sand are kinda taking a break, terraforming rock cleavages and erosion paths is kinda hard. So basically nm happened today.