• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Finished Bareketta

The name was made up for MERP, but it has a thorough etymology behind it (I did research it once but kis didnt put it here, isnt really too relevent for building anyway.)

fyi even David Salo, fictional language translator for the LotR and Hobbit movies, worked on MERP naming and languages.

Bareketta is a variation from the older name Bar Eketya which again is a variation from even older Mar Eketyaron. That name is pure Qenya (old Quenya) and translates as "home of the Eketyar". Eketyar again means "people of the Eket", while again Eket (modern Quenya ecet) means "short broad-bladed sword", and referred to a very specific kind of weapon imported from Númenor.
The thing with the name variations is also commonly seen IRL, for example a town in Switzerland once was called Turicum and today is known as the city Zürich.
I was hoping for a thorough Finrod etymology lesson; that's interesting stuff. The fact that it's derived from Old Quenya is probably why it seems so alien to me; I can't recall any instances of Quenya or Sindarin ever using the letter 'k', at least not in any of the proper names I can think of. It also doesn't make much sense in-universe as to why a city founded by Numenorean settlers would use that particular form either, as it's far more ancient than the Quenya that they would have been originally taught by the Noldorin exiles.

I was hoping for a thorough Finrod etymology lesson; that's interesting stuff. The fact that it's derived from Old Quenya is probably why it seems so alien to me; I can't recall any instances of Quenya or Sindarin ever using the letter 'k', at least not in any of the proper names I can think of. It also doesn't make much sense in-universe as to why a city founded by Numenorean settlers would use that particular form either, as it's far more ancient than the Quenya that they would have been originally taught by the Noldorin exiles.
Ekkaia, Kúma, Avakúma, Oiakúma :) ?

Numenoreans were often visited by Tol Eressa Elves though. Those most likely used a Quenya variant that was much closer to the original "Old Quenya" (Even though they were seperated for several thousend years they don't have much [need for] change in the "Undying Lands"). So as the language used by visitors from the far west it was probably percieved as a "Holy Language" (a language even the Valar used). Naming a City in that language again is something people would totally to.
Also the difference between K and C only exist in our latin alphabet. They're pronouced exactly the same way and even share the same letter in Cirith and Tengwar, the two alphabets used in Middlearth. So for the lore it really doesn't make a difference and probably only was a stylistic decision...

Yes, the thing with the k is one of the changes from Qenya to Quenya, that the k got fully replaced by c.

The change from Mar Eketyaron to Bar Eketya is clearly a "Sindarin-ification" (as Quenya got almost extinct); these two languages are etymologically related, and some vocab is very similar. So while the term for "home" is Mar in Quenya, in Sindarin is Bar. The missing ending -ron ist in the Quenya version the marker of the genitive plural (expressing the "of" in "home of the Eketyar"), however in Sindarin there are no more cases, this relation is solely expressed through the word order. The family name Eketya remained unaffected of such changes, simply because it is a name.

The change from Bar Eketya to Bareketta is very similar to the changes today's languages have and are really cause by the people. It seems very likely that just very often one was not sure how to spell the name of that town, so one just wrote it as he heard it, and thus slowly Bareketta got used more often than the earlier version, and at some point turned into the "correct" name of the town.