• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

• Did you know you can upload your screenshots to your own Media section?.You can get ratings and comments on the uploaded material!

Barrels vs. Baskets

RubenPieterMark

One Of Us, One of Us
Supporter
Credits
XP
View attachment 10170
Most amazing texture I have ever seen... thx to @Eriol_Eandur
@Eriol_Eandur in medieval times barrels were hardly only used for liquids, other stuff would be stored preferably in baskets. Is it possible to retexture the barrel thing for most of those barrels to a basket texture? Also looks more interesting and then you can better see what's inside.

@Eriol_Eandur in medieval times barrels were hardly only used for liquids, other stuff would be stored preferably in baskets. Is it possible to retexture the barrel thing for most of those barrels to a basket texture? Also looks more interesting and then you can better see what's inside.
Don't ask me why but I think the barrels feels more MCME.

Baskets sound interesting, though I know that at least in northern Mirkwood it was common to transport stuff in barrels :p
Baskets howerver have the disadvantage, that you can see the content from the sides, which means that more surfaces needs to be rendered. After the rp update the barrels will be by far the most common item blocks so I'm struggling to reduce the rendered faces as much as possible.

Baskets sound interesting, though I know that at least in northern Mirkwood it was common to transport stuff in barrels :p
Baskets howerver have the disadvantage, that you can see the content from the sides, which means that more surfaces needs to be rendered. After the rp update the barrels will be by far the most common item blocks so I'm struggling to reduce the rendered faces as much as possible.
The northern Mirkwood stuff was obviously transported in barrels because baskets don't float in the river :p Also the goods stored in them were mainly wine. You don't necessarily have to have the baskets see-through. A good texture with shadows, can be applied to every content.

The wood elves transported a lot of stuff in the barrels, apples, butter, ... Wine was only a small part.
But you are obviously right about the floating :D
I'm fine with replacing the barrel with a basket texture, but I need it quickly. I'm going to finish the update soon ;)

EDIT:
It would require an additional model for the basket which is about 0.05 pixel enlarged compared to the barrel model.

The wood elves transported a lot of stuff in the barrels, apples, butter, ... Wine was only a small part.
But you are obviously right about the floating :D
I'm fine with replacing the barrel with a basket texture, but I need it quickly. I'm going to finish the update soon ;)

EDIT:
It would require an additional model for the basket which is about 0.05 pixel enlarged compared to the barrel model.
I say just stick woth barrels

Moved to appropriate forums.
I think its a very reasonable suggestion, would love to see baskets as well, and we could have both in fact!
My two cents: I think barrels are still a very reasonable option if goods have been transported on carts or ships to where they are sold/used. Because stacking barrels or crates (with lids still on) is a lot easier and protecting the goods better than with baskets.

Moved to appropriate forums.
I think its a very reasonable suggestion, would love to see baskets as well, and we could have both in fact!
My two cents: I think barrels are still a very reasonable option if goods have been transported on carts or ships to where they are sold/used. Because stacking barrels or crates (with lids still on) is a lot easier and protecting the goods better than with baskets.
Can we have 3d barrels which are a full block in height so you can stack them please?

@ryttyr Like this?
full

There's also the full-block barrel on the bookshelf, which is bugged in the current version for optifine users; but will be fixed in the update that's planned to come within next week.