• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Cancelled Cair Andros Revamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrewpioneer

Expert Stream Digger
Supporter
Commoner
Credits
XP
~:~|~:~ Cair Andros ~:~|~:~

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Project Leader: Andrewpioneer
Co-Leader: Mershy
Project Staff: TBD

ca_apollo.png

Introduction​

Its about time that Cair Andros gets the much needed update as it deserves. With the surrounding regions being updated it is only right that the same should happen for the only fortress island that we have. The plan is simple. Make this a truly beautiful location using our new textures and skills.

Overall Progress:
Approximate Overall Progress : 9/21
Current Progress Phase: Planning, Building

Project Road Map:

Phase 1: Planning: Active, 5/7
  • Lore Analysis 1/1
  • Unordered List of Interior Spaces 1/1
  • Adjacency Diagram 1/1
  • Diagram 1/1
  • Determine Architectural Style 1/1
  • Concepting 0/1
    • Outer Towers
    • Outer Walls
    • Inner Towers
    • Inner Walls
    • Romanesque Hall
    • Village Houses
    • Forest
    • Cliffs
    • Beach's
    • Docks
  • Wool Planning 0/1
Phase 2: Terrain: Finished 1/1
  • Terrain 1/1
Phase 3: Building: Active, 3/13
  • Great Hall 1/1
  • Great Hall, Entrance Hall 0/1
  • Lord's Keep 0/1
  • T2-B1 0/1
  • T2-B2 0/1
  • Main Barbican 0/1
  • Outer Wall 0/1
  • Outer Gatehouse 0/1
  • Bridge Gatehouse 0/1
  • Anorien Bridge 1/1
  • Ithilien Bridge 1/1
  • Cair Andros Village (awaiting name) 0/1
  • Military Camps 0/1

Background lore​

Spoiler: Cair Andros - Tolkien Gateway

Further Lore​

"And the Enemy must pay dearly for the crossing of the River. That he cannot do, in force to assail the City, either north of Cair Andros because of the marshes, or southwards towards Lebennin because of the breadth of the River, that needs many boats. It is at Osgiliath that he will put his weight..." -- The Return of the King,

"The Siege of Gondor" Now as for Cair Andros itself, unfortunately my lore research did not provide anything more that is of much use. Going in for some speculation, though, I would say that there may be some ruined remnants of older fortifications on the island, along with the current castle. On his return Rómendacil fortified the west shore of Anduin as far as the inflow of the Limlight, and forbade any stranger to pass down the River beyond the Emyn Muil. -- The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A,

"The Númenórean Kings", "Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion" This was ca. TA 1248, and it can be rather safely assumed that his fortification included something on, or around, Cair Andros.

In Unfinished Tales ("Cirion and Eorl and the Friendship of Gondor and Rohan: (i) The Northmen and the Wainriders"), it is mentioned that Cair Andros was manned around the time of the end of King Ondoher's reign, ca. TA 1944; whether those are the same fortifications built 700 years earlier, or new ones, is unknown.

Later ca. TA 2900 Cair Andros is fortified yet again: It was Túrin [II] that built secret refuges for his soldiers in Ithilien, of which Henneth Annûn was the longest guarded and manned. He also fortified again the isle of Cair Andros to defend Anórien. -- The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenórean Kings", "Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion: The Stewards" So I'd say that castles were built on the island at least twice, and more likely thrice, so some remains of the older fortifications may still remain here and there.

Lore provided by @HoverKing

Jobs and Artist Assignments:

Please Contact project staff via Discord to inquire about jobs or assignments.

Phase 1: Planning
Jobs:
  • Tree Repository Jobs
Artist Assignments:
  • Outer Towers
  • Outer Walls
  • Inner Towers
  • Inner Walls
  • Romanesque Hall
  • Village Houses
  • Forest
  • Cliffs
  • Beach's
  • Docks
Phase 2: Terrain
Jobs:
  • Cliff Detailing
  • Forest Detailing
  • Beach Detailing

Phase 3: Settlements
Jobs:
  • Road Building
  • Camp Building
  • Village Detailing
Artist Assignments:
  • Great Hall, Entrance Hall
  • Lord's Keep
  • T2-B1
  • T2-B2
  • Main Barbican
  • Outer Wall
  • Outer Gatehouse
  • Bridge Gatehouse
  • Cair Andros Village
  • Military Camps

Diagrams:

Cair Andros Floor Plan.jpg

Inspiration:

Dover Castle.jpg

Pyke.jpg

images (2).jpg

Fribourg_008_(retouché) (1).jpg

Concepts:

Coming Soon

Attachments

• 2021-04-24_15.25.10.png
    2021-04-24_15.25.10.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 813
  • Cair Andros Map Edit.png
    Cair Andros Map Edit.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,575
  • 2021-05-04_14.13.14.png
    2021-05-04_14.13.14.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 535
Last edited:
Lore provided by @HoverKing

I edited the lore bit so it is more readable, the quotes are a bit messed up in what you posted above. Also, when I wrote this I wasn't exactly aiming at providing lore for a project, so I might not have been as thorough as I'd like... If there's anything that needs further exploration or elucidation please let me know.
(Also added another quote of interest that appeared further down in the discussion where I originally posted this)

And the Enemy must pay dearly for the crossing of the River. That he cannot do, in force to assail the City, either north of Cair Andros because of the marshes, or southwards towards Lebennin because of the breadth of the River, that needs many boats. It is at Osgiliath that he will put his weight..."
-- The Return of the King, "The Siege of Gondor"

Now as for Cair Andros itself, unfortunately my lore research did not provide anything more that is of much use.
Going in for some speculation, though, I would say that there may be some ruined remnants of older fortifications on the island, along with the current castle.

On his return Rómendacil fortified the west shore of Anduin as far as the inflow of the Limlight, and forbade any stranger to pass down the River beyond the Emyn Muil.
-- The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenórean Kings", "Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion"

This was ca. TA 1248, and it can be rather safely assumed that his fortification included something on, or around, Cair Andros.
In Unfinished Tales ("Cirion and Eorl and the Friendship of Gondor and Rohan: (i) The Northmen and the Wainriders"), it is mentioned that Cair Andros was manned around the time of the end of King Ondoher's reign, ca. TA 1944; whether those are the same fortifications built 700 years earlier, or new ones, is unknown.

Later ca. TA 2900 Cair Andros is fortified yet again:

It was Túrin [II] that built secret refuges for his soldiers in Ithilien, of which Henneth Annûn was the longest guarded and manned. He also fortified again the isle of Cair Andros to defend Anórien.
-- The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenórean Kings", "Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion: The Stewards"

So I'd say that castles were built on the island at least twice, and more likely thrice, so some remains of the older fortifications may still remain here and there.
Also of interest is this quote that was dug up by @barteldvn :

So they came to a wide green land, and beyond it was a broad river in a silver haze, out of which rose a long wooded isle, and many ships lay by its shores.
-- The Return of the King, "The Field of Cormallen"

Project Post Updated
The Cair Andros project is back! I've updated this forum post to reflect the recent changes that have occurred in the plan. I'd also like to announce that Mershy will be joining the project as it's Co-lead. We're now looking for builders to join the project, Contact me if your interested in any of the assignments discussed in the post. If you have any questions about the project please feel free to ask them here. More updates coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.