• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Carrots and Potatoes

Fireinferno13

One Of Us, One of Us
Commoner
Credits
XP
Just something to note that I didnt really think of until now - both carrots and potatoes are usually farmed in rows not in a giant crop like wheat. Something to consider in future farms that would also provide some jobs as you cant simply voxel in a farm like this..

(new textures coming soon ;) )

16-CarrotCrop.jpg

potato-crop-view-1440x700.jpg

Well can you confirm that in let's say the Middle Age carrots were too already grown in rows? Your pics look like some heavy modern machinery is involved.

Well can you confirm that in let's say the Middle Age carrots were too already grown in rows? Your pics look like some heavy modern machinery is involved.

If we base it on the Middle Ages you got to consider that cultivated carrots around the 1200s were pretty much purple and red only and that just in italy and spain. In central europe and later england carrots were cultivated around 1300-1500 (late Middle Ages) which were red, yellow and white whereas the orange carrots, as we got them today and on mcme, were "not well documented until the 16th centuries in Europe." That would be after the Middle Ages.

Found some purty sweet reading over here:
History of Carrots - A brief summary and timeline

I suggest changing the colour to one of those beauties

Fancy+Carrots

Oh wow that's in interesting find :D But this may be abit too much :p
With fire's new texture the carrots anyway look like grown in rows, which makes sense even without machinery, as then you can get to every plant without stepping on all the carrots

Non-Orange carrots what is this heresy! but seriously let's not make this more complex than it needs to be? just orange and since minecraft is all about squares and lines Fire seems to have it

I think it would be overkill to make rows of path-type blocks between rows of carrots, which seems to be what fire was suggesting. The texture, like finrod said, is probably enough to make it look like rows.

I think it would be overkill to make rows of path-type blocks between rows of carrots, which seems to be what fire was suggesting. The texture, like finrod said, is probably enough to make it look like rows.
Yeah, it was just something I came across while doing some light research for the textures.

My potato textures (which should be out soon) should also solve this problem :)