• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Commoner / Member Public discussion thread

What name should the new rank have?

• Commoner

Votes: 26 70.3%

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Something else (comment below)

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters

Finrod_Amandil

Former Head Designer
Supporter
Commoner
Credits
XP
Also for the Commoner / Member I'd like to offer you the detailed rank layout, and invite you to discuss about it!

The only big question here really is about the name. More nostalgia with Member, or rather the more commonly known Commoner? Vote what you'd prefer above!

Commoner / Member rank layout
  1. RANK NAME
    [?] Commoner.
    [?] Member.

2. HEAD OF RANK
    The rank will have no directly supervising Head, as no instructions are necessary and the promotion will be automatic once the required criteria are met (cf. point 7).
    In case of Infractions, the rank holders will be judged by any Enforcer.

3. RANK PURPOSE
    The main purpose of the rank is to be able to distinguish between very new players and players who already are known by some other community members and have shown that they are motivated to get a fix part of the community by behaving exemplary, i.e. promoting a friendly tone, be helpful, be interested in getting to know the many aspects of MCME, be passionate about Middle-earth, it's locations and stories and so on.
    As a reward for showing their interest in the server, the rank holders get access to a few smaller permissions, as listed in point 6.

4. RANK TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
    The rank has no special tasks assigned and does not have to follow any specific rules beside the general Terms of Service and Rules of MCME.

5. OPTIONAL TASKS
    The rank holder is invited to take part in any build and community occasion that is also open to Adventurers, such as:
    - Jobs
    - Plotbuilds
    - Contests
    - Tours
    - Minigames
    and possibly others.

Special to the rank is the access to the Freebuild map (/mvtp freebuild), where one can freely build anything he likes, as long as the ToS and Rules are not infracted on, such as building offending or vulgar things. Additionally there are a few Freebuild rules that have to be followed, such as leaving at least 50 blocks between one's own and foreign build and not to grief other builds, respectively edit other builds without the consent of the intial builder.

6. PERMISSIONS, ACCESS, TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
    Technical specifications:
    - Ingame rank display name: [?]Commoner / Member
    - Ingame rank color: Blue (█████)
    - Forum ribbons: none
    - Teamspeak rank / Discord role: Commoner / Member*
    - Teamspeak icon: TBA (similar icon with blue overlay)*
    The promotion on TS / Discord can be requested by a staff member after obtaining the rank ingame

Plugin / commands access (which Adventurers will not have):
    - /mvtp freebuild
    - /warp pcreate
    - /sethome, /home
    - /pweather
    - /ptime
    - [?] /gm 3
    - [?] /tp <player>
  7. REQUIRED SKILLS AND PROMOTION PROCESS
    The promotion process will be automated using a custom plugin developped by Eriol_Eandur.

No specific skills are required to get the rank, however what needs to be achieved is to gain some popularity among the longer serving MCME members, namely Artists, Guides and staff members. These ranks are capable of giving votes towards an Adventurer if they'd like to see him get a fix part of the community.

The promotion will happen automatically once the required amount of votes has been gained. This number not yet fixed and is configurable. It will be set to an initial amount and if necessary (if getting the rank is harder or easier than intended) will be tweaked accordingly by the Head Designer or Head Enforcer.

The exact number of votes are not directly visible, however the vanilla minecraft XP bar is used to show the progress towards the promotion. Once the XP bar is filled up, enough votes have been gained.

[?]Before a player gets voteable he needs to voice the interest in getting promoted using the command /vote apply. A formal application on the forums is not necessary.
  8. DEMOTION
    Demotions from the Commoner rank will only happen as a consequence of rule infractions. No demotions will be made due to insufficient activity.

Repromotions to Commoner do not happen automatically, after having received a demotion to Oathbreaker, the player will go back to the Adventurer rank.

Usually one can get promoted to Commoner again, through the same way as the initial promotion.
    [?] Exceptions to this may however be made, for example as consequence for more severe infractions on the Freebuild server.

Players getting demoted from higher ranks, namely Artist, Guide and all staff ranks, due to inactivity, resignation or other not infraction-related reasons will receive the Commoner / Member rank.

Could I request commoner/member access to /jump? It is useful for getting around not quite as slowly.

On top of this, which may start being too much for this rank, it might be nice to add /thru and other movement commands, like @Ardelenia said, just some privileges which allow known members to explore Middle Earth easier.

Could I request commoner/member access to /jump? It is useful for getting around not quite as slowly.
On top of this, which may start being too much for this rank, it might be nice to add /thru and other movement commands, like @Ardelenia said, just some privileges which allow known members to explore Middle Earth easier.
Doesnt Adventurers have access to /gm 3, or is that Artist+?
The idea is there to give Commoners /gm 3, but overall tendency is rather towards not adding this perm as it may make getting around too easy and would take away from the fun of exploring and experiencing the map in a somewhat realistic manner. /jump and /thru would be a good compromise I guess :)

Personally I lean towards Member as the name but admittedly that nostalgia.
I can say that it is highly unlikely that Commoner/Member will get access to /tp for fear they'll be a ton of players tping to staff busy trying to do their jobs. We sometimes get Artist/guides who forget that not all staff want players popping out of thin air next them despite it being stated in the various manuals.
I would like to say I'm hesitant in regards to the use of the word "popularity" in terms of getting promoted. To me this implies "I'm his friend I'll vote for him but I don't like this guy so no" irregardless of the many jobs the player may have done or helpful comments they've had. Voting criteria should looks towards helpful, friendly, players who contribute in making MCME a better place.

I would like to say I'm hesitant in regards to the use of the word "popularity" in terms of getting promoted. To me this implies "I'm his friend I'll vote for him but I don't like this guy so no" irregardless of the many jobs the player may have done or helpful comments they've had. Voting criteria should looks towards helpful, friendly, players who contribute in making MCME a better place.

Yeah word's are a tricky matter :p Of course it is what you describe that I'd like to see as the Commoners criteria for a promotion. Popularity works rather well as word for that as I assume it automatically is the helpful and engaged players who do get popular the easiest.