• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Finished Freca's Fortress

Brazen_Helm

Slab Fanatic
Supporter
Credits
XP
How long have you been on the server?: a little over 2 years
What is your current rank?: Artist
Who have you contacted to help you out with this project?: @Ma5terMinD
Have you been part in any projects before? If yes elaborate what you did: I don't have much experience in projects but Ma5 has extensive experience leading them. We have both done plenty of building as artists as well.
Is the project on the list of available projects?: Yes
In what amount of time do you think this project will get done (rough guess)?: If everything goes to plan it shouldn't take more than a week or two.

Name of project: Freca’s Fortress

Project Members:
Leader:
Brazen_Helm
Reserve Leader: Ma5terMinD
Designer: None as of yet, since there isn't much help needed from designers, though we will need one or two small jobs to be run

Background lore:

I hope you like reading! (of course you do)
‘There was at that time a man named Freca, who claimed descent from King Fréawine, though he had, men said, much Dunlendish blood, and was dark-haired. He grew rich and powerful, having wide lands on either side of the Adorn. Near its source he made himself a stronghold and paid little heed to the king. Helm mistrusted him, but called him to his councils; and he came when it pleased him.

‘To one of these councils Freca rode with many men, and he asked the hand of Helm’s daughter for his son Wulf. But Helm said: “You have grown big since you were last here, but it is mostly fat, I guess”; and men laughed at that, for Freca was wide in the belt.

‘Then Freca fell into a rage and reviled the king, and said this at the last: “Old kings that refuse a proffered staff may fall on their knees.” Helm answered: “Come! The marriage of your son is a trifle. Let Helm and Freca deal with it later. Meanwhile the king and his council have matters of moment to consider.”

‘ When the council was over, Helm stood up and laid his great hand on Freca’s shoulder, saying: “The king does not permit brawls in his house, but men are freer outside”; and he forced Freca to walk before him out from Edoras into the field. To Freca’s men that came up he said: “Be off! We need no hearers. We are going to speak of a private matter alone. Go and talk to my men!” And they looked and saw that the king’s men and his friends far outnumbered them, and they drew back.

‘ “Now, Dunlending,” said the King, “you have only Helm to deal with, alone and unarmed. But you have said much already, and it is my turn to speak. Freca, your folly has grown with your belly. You talk of a staff! If Helm dislikes a crooked staff that is thrust on him, he breaks it. So!” With that he smote Freca such a blow with his fist that he fell back stunned, and died soon after.

‘Helm then proclaimed Freca’s son and near kin the king’s enemies; and they fled, for at once Helm sent many men riding to the west marches.

‘Four years later great troubles came to Rohan... Rohan was again invaded from the East, and the Dunlendings seeing their chance came over the Isen and down from Isengard. It was soon known that Wulf was their leader...

‘The Rohirrim were defeated and their land was overrun, and those who were not slain or enslaved fled to the dales of the mountains. Helm was driven back with great loss from the Crossings of Isen and took refuge in the Hornburg and the ravine behind (which was after known as Helm’s Deep). There he was besieged. Wulf took Edoras and sat in Meduseld and called himself king...

‘Soon afterwards the Long Winter began, and Rohan lay under snow for five months...

‘One night men heard [Helm’s] horn blowing, but Helm did not return... they saw a white figure standing still on the Dike, alone, for none of the Dunlendings dared to come near. There stood Helm, dead as a stone...

‘Soon after the winter broke. The Fréaláf, son of Hild, Helm’s sister, came down out of Dunharrow, to which many had fled; and with a small company of desperate men he surprised Wulf in Meduseld and slew him, and regained Edoras... before the year was ended the Dunlendings were driven out, even from Isengard; and then Fréaláf became king.

‘Beyond the Gap the land between the Isen and Adorn was nominally part of the realm of Rohan; but though Folcwine had reclaimed it, driving out the Dunlendings that had occupied it, the people that remained were largely of mixed blood, and their loyalty to Edoras was weak: the slaying of their lord, Freca, by King Helm was still remembered. Indeed at this time they were more disposed to side with Saruman, and many of their warriors had joined Saruman’s forces.’

Freca was a powerful lord in the time of King Helm with lands in the west of Rohan where he made his fortress near the source of the river Adorn. He was arrogant and did not pay much attention to the king, possibly because of the Dunlendish blood that he and many other people in his lands had. He made an offer to wed his son Wulf to the king’s daughter, but was rejected and called fat by Helm. Freca became angry, so Helm took him to the fields outside Edoras and punched him so hard it killed him.

A few years later, Rohan was attacked from the East, and the Dunlendings took their chance to attack from the west at the same time, led by Wulf (Freca’s son). He managed to take Edoras and ruled there as king for some while. During the wars, Helm and all his sons were slain, but once winter was over Helm’s nephew Fréaláf retook Edoras and killed Wulf, then went on the drive the Dunlendings out from the rest of Rohan and became king.

Long after, in the time of the War of the Ring, the people remaining in Freca’s lands still had much Dunlendish blood, and still bore a grudge against the Rohirrim for Freca’s death. For this reason many of them joined forces with Saruman in his attacks against Rohan.

Short Introduction to the project:
Freca’s fortress is to be a fortified hall near at the base of the mountains near the source of the Adorn, southwest of Helm’s Deep. A village of Freca’s people is also planned, and roads connecting them all to the rest of Rohan.

Visual plans:
This dynmap shot shows the locations involved:
JZx3k9J.png

This shows the rough layout of the fortress. It is also to contain a small barracks and stable near the base of the watchtower (inside the defences).
wsMNErn.png

This shows the rough layout of the village. Specific buildings that might be included are a fishery, meadery, barn and stable.
EVrvM4i.png

Concepts:
As a rich and arrogant man with pretensions of kingly descent, our idea is that Freca designed his own hall after Meduseld (though obviously much smaller). This is a very first draft (not complete):
KjLpFvJ.png

Not only Freca but most of his people were of mixed Rohirric and Dunlendish descent. Because of this we are thinking of mixing the two styles in the village, something along the lines of this:
Kdzw15m.png

It would also be great if the stitched leather texture from Eriador (jungle planks) could be copied over to Rohan (acacia planks - currently unused). One nice use is as a secondary roof material:
R2ZPkLe.png

Detailed structured plan of the project:

1. Fortress: (project leaders)
a. Main Hall <concept only>
b. Fortifications and steep path <not started>
c. Freca’s grave <not started>

2. Village:
a. Houses (artists) <concept only>
b. Roads (job) <not started>
c. Fields (job) <not started>
d. Fortifications (artists) <not started>

3. Other:
a. Roads (job) <not started>
b. Wooden bridge (artists/project leaders) <not started>

Possible Adventurer jobs that can be run:
Roads and fields in the village can be made by Adventurers.

FAQ section for public forum:

• Isn't it really close to Helm's Deep? Well, yes, but there are some pretty impassable mountains in the way, so we don't think that's a problem.
  • What state will the village and fortress be in? We are planning to build them fully intact and functional, since there is nothing in the lore to show they are not.

Attachments

• JZx3k9J.png
    JZx3k9J.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 396
  • wsMNErn.png
    wsMNErn.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 411
  • Kdzw15m.png
    Kdzw15m.png
    219.6 KB · Views: 328
  • KjLpFvJ.png
    KjLpFvJ.png
    396.7 KB · Views: 308
  • EVrvM4i.png
    EVrvM4i.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 455
  • R2ZPkLe.png
    R2ZPkLe.png
    261.6 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
How long have you been on the server?: a little over 2 years
What is your current rank?: Adventurer
Who have you contacted to help you out with this project?: @Ma5terMinD
Have you been part in any projects before? If yes elaborate what you did: I don't have much experience in projects but Ma5 has extensive experience leading them. We have both done plenty of building as artists as well.
Is the project on the list of available projects?: Yes
In what amount of time do you think this project will get done (rough guess)?: If everything goes to plan it shouldn't take more than a week or two.

Name of project: Freca’s Fortress

Project Members:
Leader:
Brazen_Helm
Reserve Leader: Ma5terMinD
Designer: None as of yet, since there isn't much help needed from designers, though we will need one or two small jobs to be run

Background lore:

I hope you like reading! (of course you do)
‘There was at that time a man named Freca, who claimed descent from King Fréawine, though he had, men said, much Dunlendish blood, and was dark-haired. He grew rich and powerful, having wide lands on either side of the Adorn. Near its source he made himself a stronghold and paid little heed to the king. Helm mistrusted him, but called him to his councils; and he came when it pleased him.

‘To one of these councils Freca rode with many men, and he asked the hand of Helm’s daughter for his son Wulf. But Helm said: “You have grown big since you were last here, but it is mostly fat, I guess”; and men laughed at that, for Freca was wide in the belt.

‘Then Freca fell into a rage and reviled the king, and said this at the last: “Old kings that refuse a proffered staff may fall on their knees.” Helm answered: “Come! The marriage of your son is a trifle. Let Helm and Freca deal with it later. Meanwhile the king and his council have matters of moment to consider.”

‘ When the council was over, Helm stood up and laid his great hand on Freca’s shoulder, saying: “The king does not permit brawls in his house, but men are freer outside”; and he forced Freca to walk before him out from Edoras into the field. To Freca’s men that came up he said: “Be off! We need no hearers. We are going to speak of a private matter alone. Go and talk to my men!” And they looked and saw that the king’s men and his friends far outnumbered them, and they drew back.

‘ “Now, Dunlending,” said the King, “you have only Helm to deal with, alone and unarmed. But you have said much already, and it is my turn to speak. Freca, your folly has grown with your belly. You talk of a staff! If Helm dislikes a crooked staff that is thrust on him, he breaks it. So!” With that he smote Freca such a blow with his fist that he fell back stunned, and died soon after.

‘Helm then proclaimed Freca’s son and near kin the king’s enemies; and they fled, for at once Helm sent many men riding to the west marches.

‘Four years later great troubles came to Rohan... Rohan was again invaded from the East, and the Dunlendings seeing their chance came over the Isen and down from Isengard. It was soon known that Wulf was their leader...

‘The Rohirrim were defeated and their land was overrun, and those who were not slain or enslaved fled to the dales of the mountains. Helm was driven back with great loss from the Crossings of Isen and took refuge in the Hornburg and the ravine behind (which was after known as Helm’s Deep). There he was besieged. Wulf took Edoras and sat in Meduseld and called himself king...

‘Soon afterwards the Long Winter began, and Rohan lay under snow for five months...

‘One night men heard [Helm’s] horn blowing, but Helm did not return... they saw a white figure standing still on the Dike, alone, for none of the Dunlendings dared to come near. There stood Helm, dead as a stone...

‘Soon after the winter broke. The Fréaláf, son of Hild, Helm’s sister, came down out of Dunharrow, to which many had fled; and with a small company of desperate men he surprised Wulf in Meduseld and slew him, and regained Edoras... before the year was ended the Dunlendings were driven out, even from Isengard; and then Fréaláf became king.

‘Beyond the Gap the land between the Isen and Adorn was nominally part of the realm of Rohan; but though Folcwine had reclaimed it, driving out the Dunlendings that had occupied it, the people that remained were largely of mixed blood, and their loyalty to Edoras was weak: the slaying of their lord, Freca, by King Helm was still remembered. Indeed at this time they were more disposed to side with Saruman, and many of their warriors had joined Saruman’s forces.’

Freca was a powerful lord in the time of King Helm with lands in the west of Rohan where he made his fortress near the source of the river Adorn. He was arrogant and did not pay much attention to the king, possibly because of the Dunlendish blood that he and many other people in his lands had. He made an offer to wed his son Wulf to the king’s daughter, but was rejected and called fat by Helm. Freca became angry, so Helm took him to the fields outside Edoras and punched him so hard it killed him.

A few years later, Rohan was attacked from the East, and the Dunlendings took their chance to attack from the west at the same time, led by Wulf (Freca’s son). He managed to take Edoras and ruled there as king for some while. During the wars, Helm and all his sons were slain, but once winter was over Helm’s nephew Fréaláf retook Edoras and killed Wulf, then went on the drive the Dunlendings out from the rest of Rohan and became king.

Long after, in the time of the War of the Ring, the people remaining in Freca’s lands still had much Dunlendish blood, and still bore a grudge against the Rohirrim for Freca’s death. For this reason many of them joined forces with Saruman in his attacks against Rohan.

Short Introduction to the project:
Freca’s fortress is to be a fortified hall near at the base of the mountains near the source of the Adorn, southwest of Helm’s Deep. A village of Freca’s people is also planned, and roads connecting them all to the rest of Rohan.

Visual plans:
This dynmap shot shows the locations involved:
JZx3k9J.png

This shows the rough layout of the fortress:
wsMNErn.png

This shows the rough layout of the village:
uqVehuN.png

Concepts:
As a rich and arrogant man with pretensions of kingly descent, our idea is that Freca designed his own hall after Meduseld (though obviously much smaller). This is a very first draft (not complete):
KjLpFvJ.png

Not only Freca but most of his people were of mixed Rohirric and Dunlendish descent. Because of this we are thinking of mixing the two styles in the village, something along the lines of this:
Kdzw15m.png

Detailed structured plan of the project:

1. Fortress: (project leaders)
a. Main Hall <concept only>
b. Fortifications and steep path <not started>
c. Freca’s grave <not started>

2. Village:
a. Houses (artists) <concept only>
b. Paths (job) <not started>
c. Fields (job) <not started>

3. Other:
a. Roads (job) <not started>
b. Wooden bridge (artists/project leaders) <not started>

Possible Adventurer jobs that can be run:
Roads and fields in the village can be made by Adventurers.

FAQ section for public forum:

Ask away!
I feel conflicted....I love the location, yet it is literally less than 100 blocks from the back of Helm's Deep. I guess that being in MC and all, we have to make some sacrifices!

Also, is this place going to be abandoned, or still partially used? (If it was abandoned, I imagine that the village would barely be noticeable, after all these years.)

Attachments

• JZx3k9J.png
    JZx3k9J.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 471
  • wsMNErn.png
    wsMNErn.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 784
  • KjLpFvJ.png
    KjLpFvJ.png
    396.7 KB · Views: 454
  • uqVehuN.png
    uqVehuN.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 470
  • Kdzw15m.png
    Kdzw15m.png
    219.6 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
If you would think away the metric tons of stone and just climb over the White Mountains that lay in between, than would that statement actually make sence.
But on a more serious note, thats the same with all the other locations on our map.

P.S. I counted 200 blocks from the keep, yet its very close to the Glittering Caves but that shouldn't become a problem. ;P

P.P.S. Feel free to leave constructive criticism! =)

Also, is this place going to be abandoned, or still partially used? (If it was abandoned, I imagine that the village would barely be noticeable, after all these years.)

There is nothing in the lore that I can find to suggest that the lands are not still fully inhabited. Therefore we are planning to build both the hall and village fully intact and functional. The only thing that happened that could have damaged the place I know of is that Fréaláf attacked it, but that was more than 200 years before the server is set, so by Bilbo's birthday the subsequent lords and people of the area would have fully repaired everything. There must have been some people at least in the area to side with Saruman during the War of the Ring (see the Unfinished Tales reference).

If anyone knows of any quote that contradicts what I just said, please post it here! (though I believe I have already posted pretty much all the lore relating to Freca in my original post)

If you intend in making some structures into the mountains a bit (like the Hornburg), remember that the mountains there are already hollow from glittering caves.

If you would think away the metric tons of stone and just climb over the White Mountains that lay in between, than would that statement actually make sence.
But on a more serious note, thats the same with all the other locations on our map.

P.S. I counted 200 blocks from the keep, yet its very close to the Glittering Caves but that shouldn't become a problem. ;P

P.P.S. Feel free to leave constructive criticism! =)
I meant Helm's Deep as in the valley behind the Hornburg.

If you intend in making some structures into the mountains a bit (like the Hornburg), remember that the mountains there are already hollow from glittering caves.
Thanks, we got that in mind. There won't be any dug in parts planned at this point (we aren't going for southern Moria^^).

I meant Helm's Deep as in the valley behind the Hornburg.
Gotcha, there is nothing we can do about that though. Besides I think the distance on the map variies strongly from the ingame, the felt, distance, given the mountains you have to climb to get over to the valley of HD.

Thanks, we got that in mind. There won't be any dug in parts planned at this point (we aren't going for southern Moria^^).

Gotcha, there is nothing we can do about that though. Besides I think the distance on the map variies strongly from the ingame, the felt, distance, given the mountains you have to climb to get over to the valley of HD.
Very true, in the real Middle-Earth the distance was probably more like 10-20 miles.

Building in the village now OPEN for Artists+
  • Build the marked houses only
  • Use the buildings marked with pink clay as examples of the style
  • Stick to 1 floor
  • Once you're done, mark your house with light blue wool and your name and wait until it is checked by @Ma5terMinD or myself - standard traffic light system for feedback
  • Warp is /warp frecatemp and then follow the road west