• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Global Textures

Alcirdre

Is going on an adventure!
Credits
XP
I'd love to see custom biomes for the different regions so that textures can be loaded with the map once for better performance and blending.

I don't think I understand what you mean.

Do you wish for merging our resource packs into one global pack? We are working on that, but even with all the new blocks in the later versions of Minecraft there are still not enought to fit all our textures in just one resource pack.

Could you explain your idea in a bit more detail?

Yes I am referring to a global pack but realize there are isn't enough content in vanilla that's why I suggest custom biomes.

Also with custom biomes I think it would be a great idea to make a modpack for the project.

Can biomes affect textures of blocks? I'm not aware of that possibilty :oops:

We want MCME being open for as many players as possible thus we don't want to rely on client mods. All our modifications are made on server side by plugins.

It isn't something I know about but what do you use for the server Bukkit/Spigot/ or Paper because I found something for Spigot for custom biomes?

We are currently running on a paper server, so that might be interesting for us :)

Well Paper is compatible with all three my only concern is how does it work with an existing world so I'd say it would need to be tested on a separate world first if you go down this path.

We have a development server ;)
But I still don't understand what exactly is your idea.

Basically I find it annoying for textures to be loaded more than once especially in my case because I have map mods that I'm going across the world to have a complete private map.

I got that, but how could we mend that by using custom biomes?

I did some search but I can't find any information about how to make blocks have custom textures in custom biomes. Could you explain how to do this?

Do you mean making or having custom biomes with a terrain generator and then have more blocks that way? As far as i know this does not increase the amount of blocks or variants of a block for more textures, unless we add custom blocks. Mods that do custom terrain (Forge) could have these new blocks, are you sure you are not mixing up paper/bukkit with a world you saw on forge?

Only way of havkng biome specific textures is with optifine right now.

Only way of havkng biome specific textures is with optifine right now.
I'm probably not qualified to be talking here, but is there a way to implement that into the map? I mean, optifines technically a mod so it would have to be something playerside instead of something server wide, right?

Many people use optifine, but still we don't want our essentials like textures rely on optifine. People without optifine should have mostly the same experience.

Last edited:
I'm probably not qualified to be talking here, but is there a way to implement that into the map? I mean, optifines technically a mod so it would have to be something playerside instead of something server wide, right?
While overlay RPs for optifine users have been attempted by individuals in the past, MCME doesn't currently have the capacity to officially maintain multiple versions of each RP as each update brings new challenges and possibilities that almost never immediately pair between vanilla and modded. These almost inevitably result in dependencies that can slow down the development process or even break certain features if the mod makers decide to discontinue them in the future. We've also run polls within the community before to estimate how many people use optifine and while not being very precise I'll admit, the polls showed that only 20-30% of our active and semi-active players use it.