• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Hide and Seek

Should this have an Event?

• Yes it will be fun!

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • No it won't be fun, or not worth the time to setup.

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

yodog_117

Moria Hall Professional
Credits
XP
On the server we have played Hide and Seek, a lot over the past 2 days. I'm writing a list of good places too go, when choosing a location.

Rules: 1 person hides (more if decided) everyone else stays back at the warp or start, when the hider is hidden, they say "Go!" When the hider is found, they decide on the next place, and the person who finds them, hides.

Other Gametype: 1 person seeks, everyone else hides, when they are found they help seek, first person found seeks first next time. Last person found chooses next location.
Tips: Don't go to small, don't go too large, don't go in forests.

Good places:
Bree
Ost-in-Edhil
Minas Tirith (do 1-2 levels at a time)
Rivendell
Edoras
Isengard
Helms Deep

Feel free to add more if you think it should be played.

Last edited:
Why does only one person hide? Why not do normal hide and seek (everyone-1 hides, then when the seeker finds someone they both become seekers and so on)?

I also recommend you scratch the "no crouching" rule. I know I harassed you on the server today about it, but it makes for a much more enjoyable experience. There is really not much satisfaction in picking a good hiding spot when the person needs to just look for your name. Where you actually hide is irrelevant then. The entire enjoyment from hide and seek is finding that one perfect hiding spot and watching everyone struggle to find you, especially when they get oh so close and just can't seem to find you. If they can see your name, it's not long until they find you.

All you need to do is make sure you pick a location that isn't too big. You could even go to places like Moria and Minas Tirith and narrow the hiding location to a single cavern or tier of the city. If for some reason you feel rounds take too long, set a time limit on the match. If the hiders aren't found in that time span they win.

The only issue I have with this is it spams chat as badly as those who want to roleplay. Personally I have no problem with the game however teamspeak should be required instead of filling up chat. We are continually try to encourage new players to join our TS to get more involved in the community and this may be a good way of doing this. To be honest it can get to a point where I border on /mute.

The only issue I have with this is it spams chat as badly as those who want to roleplay. Personally I have no problem with the game however teamspeak should be required instead of filling up chat. We are continually try to encourage new players to join our TS to get more involved in the community and this may be a good way of doing this. To be honest it can get to a point where I border on /mute.
Yeah it does get a little spammy sometimes, I try to get people in TS but most people just don't want to take the time to get it.

Here's an idea to reduce chat spam in any situation:

We could have a plugin or an extension to a current plugin that allows you to do something like /tell, but in a group. It could be something like Admin chat, but you could create a group if you wanted to do a roleplay, play hide and seek, or if you wanted to discuss something with multiple people. I am aware that this function exists in Teamspeak, but a lot of times, especially with thralls who are roleplaying, they don't want to take the time to install it, or they just don't want to get in it, and the spamming continues. As far as my (limited) knowledge goes, this wouldn't cause any noticeable amount of excess lag. It could possibly encourage people to avoid Teamspeak, but I don't think that would be a huge problem. After all, people don't want to take the time to install Teamspeak for a simple hide and seek game anyway. Of course, it would need the approval of @q220 and somebody would need to write it. I know, you already said no to plugins, but this would be simple and could be used for a much wider variety of situations than just hide and seek.
I'm just mentioning this, and I don't particularly want to debate about it (;)), so if you think it's a bad idea q then I personally don't need a lengthy reason for why it's a bad idea:D

On a partially unrelated note, it would be cool to have a Hide and Seek event to mark the completion of the Paths of the Dead:D

Last edited:
This chat plugin is being discussed by the developers as we have also noticed the problem. It is more re-purposing a plugin than writing a brand new one. I also think that a hind 'n seek event to mark the completion of the Paths of the Dead would be cool.

Good places:
Bree
Ost-in-Edhil
Minas Tirith (do 1-2 levels at a time)
Rivendell
Edoras
Isengard
Helms Deep
- The Great Smials (/warp Tuckborough)
- Brandy Hall (/warp Bucklebury)
- Cerin Amroth (Caras Galadhon is similar but too big)
- The big grave in the Barrow Downs

When playing hide and seek on the servers, can't you just press F1 and turn off the hud? That way no one can see any names regardless of crouching or not. Right?

Ah yes that's true I forgot about that. I remember we did make the seekers turn on F1.

How about this:
Until the time when something is thought about being implemented, we can just start a Job of Hide'n'Go Seek?
Then, you join, you get tp'd, and then you can chat within the job group.