• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Accepted ImperatorFVV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperatorFVV

Expert Stream Digger
Credits
XP
Hello, my name is Fernando, and I’m from Spain. I joined this server a lot of time ago, but, you will excuse me, because I don’t exactly remember when. The most accurate date I can give is late 2012 or early 2013. (By the time I joined, Rohan was in progress, and the weekly Theme Build was an Umbar Corsair Ship)

I have done some little jobs in this server since I joined. This last week, a river stream and some farm walls. Before that, I remember making a building for Osgiliath, which has to be somewhere there because it was accepted, and also some roads and city wall fixing in Osgiliath as well. I don’t remember anything else.

Theme Build (Formenos) album:

Dol Calen ruining album:

House (Valley of Tumladen) album:

Theme Build (Ephel Brandir) album:

What do I like to build? Well, I just simply like to build. Since I joined Minecraft in May 2012, I was more interested in making buildings in creative mode than playing survival. Of course, my first constructions were of horrendous quality, but I was happy making them. When I joined the server, I didn't know how to properly build as well, so I made a couple of TB that looked terrible and make me feel embarrassed nowadays. With the time, I started learning some very useful tricks to make not square-related buildings that looked more realistic, and indeed, they were very profitable. Apart from MCME, I have been also in a server called Westeroscraft, where the world of Game of Thrones is being done. Though, despite of an application that I made time ago that was almost accepted, their standards were very strict, so I couldn’t get builder there.

If I have to specify a little bit, I can say that my preferred building styles are medieval and fantasy ones, because I’m not very keen on modern buildings and that stuff. Apart from that, I really think that I can adapt to every single style of building as long as I receive some proper hints on what should it look like. Anyway, I cannot hide my preference for dwarven buildings, which I really like.

I apply for artist for two reasons. The first one, as I said before, is because I love to build. I started making really bad things, but I didn’t give up and I kept improving my style every day. If you just want to check the difference between my actual Theme Build and the Gondor-Tower one, which is also in there, you are free to do. The other one, of course, is because I love fantasy, since I’m a little child. I saw the first LOTR film when I was like 4 years old and I’ve watched the trilogy since then like a thousand times. I also have read the first LOTR book, and I’m reading the second one, apart from a lot of articles and websites about irrelevant information, like the Numenorean kings list, that I read for mere pleasure. So great is my love for fantasy that I’m even writing a book related to it.

In brief, I have a lot of respect for Tolkien’s work, who created an alive world, and I’m very proud that a great team is trying to recreate this world in a game. I would like just to say, as final words: I’m completely sure that I want to be part of that team.

Last edited:
Thank you for your application!

Today I shall not have the time to give feedback into your builds, but I will say that your interior work is very great, your exterior work could use some work. I noticed in your pics of Formenos that you have a mostly white build, but then you have a single grey structure at the center. It would be better to keep your materials consistent.

As I said above, however, I do not have time to go fully in-depth, I will do this tomorrow.

Thank you for your application!

Today I shall not have the time to give feedback into your builds, but I will say that your interior work is very great, your exterior work could use some work. I noticed in your pics of Formenos that you have a mostly white build, but then you have a single grey structure at the center. It would be better to keep your materials consistent.

As I said above, however, I do not have time to go fully in-depth, I will do this tomorrow.

Thank you for your hints Bender! I will be upgrading the exteriors next time and using more consistent materials.

As promised, a bit more in-depth review of your build:

1. First thing I noticed when I looked around it in the themed build world; you use a lot of quartz pillars. There is no problem with this, but how you use them could be vastly improved upon. The thing is, is that they are all on the same depth as your basic walling, (moss stone, the white brick) try moving them one block forwards out of your walls, you might be surprised by how it will improve upon your build!
2. Your walls are a tad short, I would add 2-3 blocks to their height, this is not a major issue, however.
3. The towers attached to the walls are good, but could be improved upon. They are a bit simple, going straight up from the base. I would try adding supports/struts coming out from each side. If you go to /warp Cair Andros, you can see what I mean. I also noticed the frontal tower has one side an even amount of blocks, putting the flag on top off-center. This may have been a mistake, and definitely remember to be very careful when planning large structures to make sure not to have any even measurements, this makes detailing and building generally much harder.
4. Your roofs are decent, especially the one on the grey house, but your domes could be improved. Cair Andros has some good examples.
5. This is a smaller thing, but I thought it would be useful to mention; inside the main hall, you have those large columns on either side, but there are no proper arches in-between. where the columns reach the roof, there should be an arch connecting across the hall, and on either side. Here's a good real life example: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/13/Porto_-_Catedral_-_Interior.JPG

I hope this has been useful, if you have any questions, feel free to pm me whenever you like, I should get back to you within two days.

Good luck, and good building!

As promised, a bit more in-depth review of your build:

1. First thing I noticed when I looked around it in the themed build world; you use a lot of quartz pillars. There is no problem with this, but how you use them could be vastly improved upon. The thing is, is that they are all on the same depth as your basic walling, (moss stone, the white brick) try moving them one block forwards out of your walls, you might be surprised by how it will improve upon your build!
2. Your walls are a tad short, I would add 2-3 blocks to their height, this is not a major issue, however.
3. The towers attached to the walls are good, but could be improved upon. They are a bit simple, going straight up from the base. I would try adding supports/struts coming out from each side. If you go to /warp Cair Andros, you can see what I mean. I also noticed the frontal tower has one side an even amount of blocks, putting the flag on top off-center. This may have been a mistake, and definitely remember to be very careful when planning large structures to make sure not to have any even measurements, this makes detailing and building generally much harder.
4. Your roofs are decent, especially the one on the grey house, but your domes could be improved. Cair Andros has some good examples.
5. This is a smaller thing, but I thought it would be useful to mention; inside the main hall, you have those large columns on either side, but there are no proper arches in-between. where the columns reach the roof, there should be an arch connecting across the hall, and on either side. Here's a good real life example: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/13/Porto_-_Catedral_-_Interior.JPG

I hope this has been useful, if you have any questions, feel free to pm me whenever you like, I should get back to you within two days.

Good luck, and good building!
Some very useful tricks that I agree with and, take for granted I will be applying next time. After all, the building progress consists on learning new things everyday, and you gave me the means to really improve my constructions, so thank you!

Another smaller thing I noticed is that most of your rooms are completely bland cuboids. This may be usual in modern pragmatical architecture, but in Middle-earth we rather look for something more fancy. It is often about how the ceiling in such rooms look like, because there usually some structure to support the roof is required, hence the ceiling of a room is rarely completely flat, and neither are the walls. Again Cair Andros can give you some ideas on this aspect.

If you want to update your post simply edit the first post and reply to this thread with a post saying "update" so that we notice the changes.

I fear I will have to wait for next themebuilds to make an update. I wouldnt have time to change this actual one. Is that posible?

If you want you can, and I can also make sure that you can edit it when the TB has ended (something I want to change in general anyway)

The thing is that I would prefer not to change anything in formenos. Also, can I post any building that could be part of the server?
Ex: Make a farm in gondor texturepack somewhere
Last thing: If im on the watchlist (which I would like to know) is there any way to see the progress, points...?
Thank you in advantage

You don't see your point, and it won't tell you much if you would because there is no specific amount of points required to get promoted (it is mainly an indicator of how active an Artist is and helps us keeping an overview when there are multiple applicants.

You will see the watchlist as blue tag next to the Thread title of this application and it will be announced in this thread: Artist promotions / demotions

Updated. I did yesterday my very first ruining job, some buildings of Dol Calen (Anfalas) for Darki190, and he suggested me to post the pictures of it. For being the first time, the results were pretty impressive. Hope you like them.

Re-update. Did a house for Fireinferno13, which will be located in the valley of Tumladen. Here are the pics of it. And sorry about the signs, we haven't placed some objects yet.

I am taking you on the Watchlist now. You are very active and your builds do show a lot of potential! But I would like to see at least one more TB where you can try to apply the things we pointed out on your Formenos. The thing with builds like the Tumladen House is that they usually have a quite strict guide given, so a TB where you have to come up with a style and so on is quite a bunch more challenging.

Of course. I'll start the themebuild you ask for, as soon as I get home this sunday. Im on a trip now so I cannot make the temple of morgoth, which I really wanted to do.

New update. This time, the Themebuild Finrod was asking for. Hope I improved the things you remarked in the formenos build.

Congratulations, you have just been promoted to Artist!
Your builds show very well now that you are both able to adapt and use the MCME styles as well as that you're creative and able to come up with new styles!
Please check out the Artist Manual which features the most important things that you should know about with your new rank: Artist Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.