• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Lond Daer Enedh

Ivan1

One Of Us, One of Us
Developer
Commoner
Credits
XP
~:~|~:~ LOND DAER ENEDH ~:~|~:~
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Project Leader: Ivan1pl
Co-Leader: mattlego
Project Staff: _Luk

(...) it came therefore into Aldarion's mind that he would find timber in Middle-earth, and seek there for a haven for the repair of his ships. In his voyages down the coasts he looked with wonder on the great forests; and at the mouth of the river that the Númenóreans called Gwathir, River of Shadow, he established Vinyalondë, the New Haven.

Discussion Thread
The thread to discuss in general the project, comment on any updates or any other non-announcement topic.

Overall Progress and State
Approximate Overall Progress Percentage: 10%
Current Progress State: Building

Project Announcement Thread
The thread with public announcements concerning the project.
Link: Lond Daer Enedh

Background lore
Lond Daer Enedh (at first named Vinyalondë, then Lond Daer before finally being renamed to Lond Daer Enedh) was one of the great harbours and the first permanent settlement of the Númenóreans in Middle-earth. After the Downfall of Númenor, the harbour became redundant and fell into ruin.

Introduction
Lond Daer Enedh is going to be a side project. It will be the second attempt to bring this place to our new map (it was built in the old world but it is very outdated). The terrain around the place is World Painter terrain that needs redoing. A new style needs to be developed for buildings, ruins and vegetation. Along with the project itself, the outdated Eriador resource pack will also receive many updates.
s8eAX7j.png
Red - palace
Black - walls
Brown - main roads
Cyan - less important roads
Blue - water
Light gray - breakwater/harbor/coast
Purple - barracks
Yellow - main shipyard
Light blue - industry
Light green - other important buildings
Gray - housing
Pink - rich housing
Orange - main squares

Status

Stage 1: Terrain

1: Terrain, Finished, Leader: Fireinferno13, Link: Lond Daer Terrain

Stage 2: Concepts
2A: Develop a building style, Finished
2B: Develop ruining style, Finished
2C: Develop vegetation style, WIP

Stage 3: Building
3A: Prepare city layout, Finished
3B: Prepare building guide, WIP
3C: Houses, WIP
3D: Grand buildings, Not started
3E: Palace, Not started
3F: Main harbour and shipyards, Not started
3G: Barracks, Not started
3H: Old town, Not started

Stage 4: Ruining
4A: Grand buildings, Not started
4B: Harbours and shipyards, Not started

Stage 5: Vegetation
5A: Moss on the ruins, Not started
5B: Plant some trees and bushes in the city area, Not started

Concepts

Garum-Paste-Stores-Lixus-Morocco-Asilah-Info.jpg

Lixus.jpg

portus-m.jpg

664a434e8f8a5e9fc8db121c83cbda05.jpg

5.jpg
eN6qo19.png

5B6IL65.png

45ozotF.png

12s9iuF.png

Last edited:
Relevant:
This admittedly long post, written with help from @RubenPieterMark, considers how Lond Daer should be built. First, I shall expound why we believe Lond Daer should barely be a visible ruin, instead appearing as short walls (≤ 2 blocks ie a person) and grassy mounds. TLDR: because of the silt. This excludes any resettlement by the sparse fisherfolk etc. I've included some sources if you’re curious, and also because I'm in a school mindset so I feel the urge to cite things.

Let us start with how long the city has been ruined for. One of our friend Michael Martinez's many well-thought articles asks when Lond Daer was abandoned, and concludes "The city could have been abandoned by 1409 [TA]; or perhaps its last people died out in 1636 [TA]. It does not appear to have existed by 1975 [TA]." Having been founded before "nigh on" 800 SA, some semblance of the city has existed for over 5640 years, and it has been abandoned for at least 1025 years, probably centuries more. I would like to give a bit more of the footnote (written by JRR, not Christopher) from which Eriol drew the last two quotes, and which is also in the linked article, with an additional point of interpretation:

This passage implies that in the last century of the Second Age (Downfall of Númenor ie founding of kingdoms 3319, end of age 3441), Lond Daer was dilapidated and unusable. We can theorize this was in part from the "general destruction of the coasts," as Martinez says, resulting from Númenor sinking. Following that event, the Arnorians seem to have preferred Tharbad over Lond Daer, and it is up to us to guess whether Lond Daer was left empty or repopulated. I'll concede that the cultured and productive Numenoreans could easily have kept the city in good repair for the majority of its inhabited lifespan, but as a now unimportant city, it seems unlikely it could have grown much from its ruined size or significantly rebuilt the ruins. Meaning we have an absolute minimum abandonment of 1025 years, but the relics of its greatness — large stone buildings, sea walls and harbor structures, grand defenses — are 3000 years old.

Look up pictures of 1000 year old ruins, and you will see quite a range: from the tall and detailed towers of Angkor to fragmented and leaning wall sections. Pictures of 3000 year old ruins are more often walls less than a person tall. But we must also remember that these pictures are usually of excavated sites, and must consider in addition to age the climate and position. Lond Daer is at the mouth of a river, as we know, so it is affected by both the river and the ocean. From the latter, we get wind, waves, and storms battering down the buildings, plus erosion from salt air. There could even be corsair raids, though by my earlier reasoning it would not be important enough for this. We have in the past assumed or reasoned that the winds predominantly blow east across the ocean. This, along with the shape of the coast and ground underwater due to Lond Daer's location in an estuary (a river mouth), can also make the storms and tides worse. More significant, however, is the silt washing down the river for the entire 5640 years of the city (and millennia before that). We do know that the Gwathló would flood, and quite recently in 2912 TA “great floods devastate Enedwaith and Minhiriath. Tharbad is ruined and deserted” (LOTR App. B). If these were enough to destroy a city, they must have been pretty bad to an already-abandoned ruin with no one to clean it out afterwards. And we know that even in places with continuous inhabitation, people will let sediment accumulate and just build on top of it. A famous example is the Roman Forum, which is meters below current ground level. Before being excavated, it was used for grazing cows. So rather than focusing on the age, look up pictures of unexcavated ruins and you will see something much closer to my conception of Lond Daer. Some low piles of rubble perhaps marking the rectangle where a building stood, but mostly smooth and grassy mounds.

excavated-vs-unexcavated.jpg

Excavation comparison (obviously jungle ruin so not quite the same)

_9010735-L.jpg
unexcavated-mounds-in-palenque-ruins-tabasco-mexico-picture-id513166379

Garum-Paste-Stores-Lixus-Morocco-Asilah-Info.jpg

This one and the next are from Lixus in Morocco, which is very close to the ocean.
Lixus.jpg

And there is yet more we can deduce from the location of the city. We know it was the timber port of Numenor, and with so much wood going through how could it not have been diverted to build houses for the less wealthy? Especially since, as discussed in Lond Daer Terrain, the surrounding area is low and flat. Stone would not have been simple to quarry — without steep slopes, as far as I can tell, you need a pit quarry, and those are lots of work. Also they flood easily, which I already pointed out was a problem. This means great stone buildings would be expensive, even in the heyday of the city; presumably most of the stone was imported from other Numenorean holdings. After the fall of Numenor I doubt there would be many stone buildings constructed, and those that were would likely cannibalize the stone from ruins (as medieval people so often did). Furthermore, since the surroundings were so thoroughly deforested, there would be a general lack of building materials. So, we can expect ~1500 TA Lond Daer to be full of structures not meant to last, susceptible to rotting and sinking in mud and blowing down and more. Add to this other instances of destruction (@Ivan1pl mentioned at least one fire that swept through the city, and we can perhaps imagine raids by angry remnants of the native population as the city grew weaker) and this city, or really town now, is struggling to survive let alone flourish. To wrap it up and return to the main point, a settlement less strongly built and maintained by humans is more susceptible to nature, and it will disappear even more beneath the soils of the Gwathló.

So far I have employed an aesthetic perspective, but the practical perspective - in short, the time requirements - also demands consideration. Now, I want to be clear, I think the concepts Ivan has been building in freebuild look great. (Or I mean I have some critiques but they aren’t important here or as well at all reasoned out.) However, I ask if they are necessary, if we even need to build the city intact before ruining it. For what would be left of it? Could we not as easily go straight from wool outlines to dirt pile outlines? This leads us to an argument just as important as any historical considerations. Though we have long prided ourselves on fully building then ruining cities, it greatly increases the time and effort needed for such projects. It is questionable whether this process, meant to improve realism and visual appeal, will have any substantial effect or benefit for Lond Daer, when so much of the structures will be unbuilt. Instead we may be wasting a lot of time that could be directed towards the projects that frankly more new players (I shall not speak for old) care about than random ruins: Moria, Mordor, eventually Hobbit locations. These are all far from complete (or begun) in either case, but even so every day spent on Lond Daer will delay them.

Ruben and I welcome and look forward to any counterarguments, but I sincerely hope they will be respectable and have more thought behind them than "because it's what we're used to/traditional" or "because it's cooler/more fun/more interesting/looks nicer to build substantial ruins." Thanks for reading.

Terrain is done with the exception of vegetation.

I am a really big fan of that last concept art image with just the walls in a grassy plain and minimal large vegetation.

I think it would be a great variation in comparison to say the ruins of Annuminas and Fornost and Osgiliath which, in my opinion, can be somewhat heavy handed in terms of trees and vines and bushes (yes I realize the irony given I helped lead a bunch of them). I think the aesthetic of just short walls overlooking ocean on one side and plains on the other would be both amazing and unique. Especially given that, from what I could seem to find, the lore seems to suggest that the deforestation efforts of the original settlers and war damage had lasting impacts on the vegetation recovery of the surrounding area into the current server era.

Last edited:
Okay possibly unpopular opinion but, if we decide to go this route of ruining, I think the majority of Lond Daer should be built ruined rather than building the city in full and ruining it afterwards.

Here is why - for the most part with builds like Osgiliath and Annuminas and Fornost, the reason we built them before ruining was because we were, comparatively, not ruining them that much. Therefore it was important to maintain realistic arches and floors and walls etc etc. In this case, if we were just wanting to maintain minimal pillars and walls, I think it would benefit the progression of the project without hindering the overall quality to have most of the houses built as ruins. Because in this case, we would not need to know where the floors and arches and such would go because they won't last through the ruining process anyways.

Thoughts?

~:~|~:~ UPDATE ~:~|~:~
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Project status: The project state changes to: Building
Progress update:
Completely new layout has been created and the building style has been developed. Currently we're working on the building guide so that everyone can help. You can expect many jobs in the area in the very near future.

Current tasks for project staff:
2C: Develop vegetation style, WIP
3B: Prepare building guide, WIP

Soon available for everyone (through jobs):
3C: Houses, WIP

~:~ Lond Daer New Years Update ~:~
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Project Leader: @Ivan1pl
Co-Leader: @mattlego
Project Staff: @_Luk

ITk73nJOnyWw_84cS_QkbGuEkMQiFwTvEJ0qjJ9nxLCQBw9V_-jzAQxvg7T8cJ22Zdux5CcUW9Y-q0cWEevDiVaMN_UIYt0KSZgtcDrxCD4X0lruuIwVUJPciRiXo93tdPaQUIY

Overall Progress and State
Approximate Overall Progress Percentage:
20%
Current Progress State: Building

Update
After a brief hiatus - which we took in order to reorient the path of the project - more on that later. Lond Daer is finally up and running smoothly again. We had some great progress with regards to Planning and Building in the last weeks so we want to give a small update on that.

Planning
The biggest Change since the last update is probably the implementation of *channels*. In the spirit of our Dutch Neighbours we decided to introduce them, in order to make the Old Town stand out more, and improve the movement of wares within the city. As such it also functions as a moat.

YqRdE8eslJ7i9998C2wVRalLl5t4yNUXv0rLVaoaf2sLm8JtHg_uk8ikF3midYw9QBpnNW3kzBvjByssjdeje2ZMiMVNEHulzfdZt6Cgq4a_p0jqC64Jw1Eu8-IaoQ7svmTFUyM

Along with that came the replanning (yes another one) of the Southern parts of new Town. In those we tried to focus a lot more on Housing in blocks (as can be seen in Roman City Planning, or the Superblocks in Barcelona).
eqLnY47E20a7TvGQ6vG17VU1ZKYI1DcigL4J46xbd_D2zmlx61D7SuJAIwD61d_gBM0-djjy95K1jJV5HxzFfBXQTj1VyOISuplUTvMLdvSjLPBiTf4-YsMwGYpUfNbeWEEtBSA

Further work on the planning for the Sewers is underway. Look up if you want to see that.

Building
Building of normal Housing has continued, and progress is going quite nicely there. The Rich Housing is also being worked on and is seeing some great progress.
Furthermore we started working on the Northern Docks again. Some warehouses have been completed and work on the terraforming of the ruined Docks has started.
otRgpCNxxQdG4h29luXSg9ovHpF1Hg_mACHF5aS3tr3qu0dZKUGG6eW8Pwp-EgEtGAzwB28vWjusrJSoHDKQSD9gBpX7Q3ngZ4PgizTIbhHup6tNQZ8RoIDMxZ3Gss-wAnl01-A

SBnIqol4R3UWlDnMdpKcxFq-PuPXi9ZD6Q0_DGYvqPxmdFQEyIkp_ApOjuQF2lsf37MiJuJBXmiAkhEjKWwguKso7tZ0sGmA8ki-JIoFU0_yQFu2OxZgs0HDl9-RV2uAHEtCe4Y

Zn74uiTD7XVNx1JZWv7ta4OYdXoMQaSr-xXWgkaBkVu7EqZHc9RGIUZaIJOucp7Cs2JR-61Rbca0TP2j41mOSCcqQl07rN9DncCmm2Ynuj-RfpdcTS87w-NqnRH6kDXQ_n23hw4