• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Lordxord

Lordxord

Is going on an adventure!
Credits
XP
Hello.
I am LordXord, and I joined the serven in mid-February 2017

I helped ruin Moria:
lordscreenshots8
lordscreenshots9
lordscreenshots10
lordscreenshots11
and this is the theme builds:

Noirinan
lordscreenshots1
lordscreenshots2
inside the tombs:
lordscreenshots3
lordscreenshots4
lordscreenshots5
lordscreenshots6
lordscreenshots7

In the lord of the ring, I really like rohirims and the architecture of the old human kingdoms, and that of the silvan elves and a goblin style.

if I became an artist, I would like to participate in Mordor construction, barad dur area, or other elven realms.

Thanks for your reading, and attention

Hey LordXord, and thank you for your application!

Your ruined house looks really good, you definitely seem to havea good eye for nice ruining patterns!

I have collected a few tips for your TB, that may also help you with future builds:
  • Material choice: Combining the dark gray bricks and the light gray bricks is one of the most common bad choices for materials. Of course the textures themselves are not bad at all, else they would not be in the pack, but combining them right next to each other pretty much always looks really confusing and here's why: The texture is exactly the same in both blocks, one is just a little darker than the other. If you put them next to each other it looks like one of them is exposed to sunlight and the other has a shadow cast over it. So your brain may think it's the same color with different lighting. But as you put the blocks it cannot be that the blocks are lighted that way, and that makes it really confusing.

Generally speaking it is a good idea to combine two to three blocks, which have different "shapes" in the texture, not only different colors. For example large bricks with small bricks, or large bricks with cobblestone. Also the colors of the blocks should either be very different (i.e. light gray bricks and sandstone) or exactly the same. If they are only a little bit different it looks strange as well.

Check out some cities and villages and study what materials were chosen for the buildings and what combinations you find (and which not)!
  • To make the place look aged there's also cracked light gray bricks and mossy light gray bricks you can use!
  • You have some single torches hanging from the ceiling, which hang really low. I'd rathe attach the torches differently in low rooms, either on the wall or on a pole.
  • In picture 4 you have large chandeliers with torches, and right next to them candles. Makes the candles rather redundant probably ;)
  • In the same picture you have a large well with water coming from above. But as it looks theres nowhere the water could go. Make sure it does not flood the chamber!
  • In picture 6 you used roof shingles as floor. These are really only intended to represent roof shingles, so find something else to build your floor with there!
I would really recommend you go back to your TB and improve a bit on these points, or else start a new TB and try to keep these things in mind!

~ Finrod

in terms of water note in the photo of the fountain on one side (not visible in photo) there is one hole that acts as a "margin of overflow" and that leads to the river you see outside.
otherwise I can work ...
thanks for the advices

Hello
meantime i continued whit a moria ruininig.

this is my TB on: "Fortress of Maedhros"
0405tb0
Now with the legend
0405tb1
The first five days were used for mountain terraformation, Which I tried to make realistically
0405tb2
-------------
0405tb3
This is the only access point to the fortress, Consisting of four identical towers (positioned at variable heights, but so that the floors of the various towers fit) connected by bridges or walls.
0405tb4
Between the two lower towers is the entrance gate, which runs on a groove in the ground, moved by pulleys and chains placed in the lower planes of the toothy towers
0405tb5
The other towers (the two tallest ones) are in the lower floors of the dormitories (for united explained in Port Protection), while in the upper floors of all the towers there are crates and chest (for arms and arrows).
0405tb6
In every plain (as seen in the previous photo) there are Embrasure, climbing up the stairs you can get up over the roof (all to allow the elves to shred enemies with the bow). All this structure is built in stone covered with white bricks (Those with the largest texsture) and the floors are in dark wood.
0405tb7
-------------
0405tb8
Moving northwest we found the blacksmith (left) and the military warehouse (right). The military warehouse is simply a repository of chest and armor, this is the only access to the wall at west.
0405tb9
The blacksmith beneath on the left has an acess to the furnace to feed it to the wood, for the remainder it contains: a stubble, anvils and water.
0405tb10
The walls surrounding the whole fort are in white bricks (Those with the small texsture). The gray stone pillar hold on the walls, (but they were actually added to break the monochrome of all that white).
0405tb11
-------------
0405tb12
All the area not occupied by buildings inside the fort is enabled to agriculture (in the photo you can see the fields of wheat and pumpkin) or left to the natural green. Along the brick paths there are arranged lanterns, for the night and cultivated ornamental bushes.
0405tb13
Here you can see the tower barn, this is filled with half hay, has two aces: the first is a trapdor on the top, reachable through the wooden staircase, the second is the door leading to the stone stairs (that closed and difficult to see because of the same color of wood).
The lowest door (in the photo is open) leads to a well for the water used to irrigate.
0405tb14
-------------
0405tb15
The north side of the walls includes a dam that on a cliff creates a pond that before the well discovered was used to irrigate the fields, follows a photographic overview
0405tb16
Above the lake you can see a salad field, overhanged by the central square, this is the place where the time passes, the citadel is too small to host outdoor activities.
The wooden scquare is built up again to the ground, So as not to damage the roots of the tree foil around which it is built, the water of the montain that follows passes a dark wood deviation, then crosses a fountain and asks Hole in the floor comes between the roots of the tree where it continues to the dam.
0405tb17
-------------
0405tb18
An east of the wheat field stands a home that a mini-tower acts as an east access to the walls, bringing its users a few steps from the entrance of the guard tower to the east of the fort.
0405tb19
Since under this tower passes a river, the lower floor has Iron grating in the floor so that you can see the river and be able to counteract any enemy.
0405tb20
-------------
Between the tower and the square there is the stairway leading to the citadel, just before going through the mountain you can reach a protected garden, full of plants and bushes, here is also a natural pond, continuing in to the mountain, can crossing to arrive to the citadel.
0405tb21
0405tb22
-------------
The first building in the citedel on the left and on three floors:
0405tb2
The ground floor is used as a canteen, The second at dormitory, The third to deposit
0405tb23
0405tb24
0405tb25
the roof being the highest point of the map is used as a watchtower, The whole citadel is full of crates and chest, to prevent a long siege. The small building in the picture below (the one with a mini granary) is a shop, warehouse, storage ready for use for possible sieges (the mini barn is used when is too dangerous to go to the big one during enemy attacks)
0405tb26
0405tb27
The L-shaped building is a dormitory that has a guard on the ground floor and only on the first floor the beds
0405tb28
0405tb29
The remaining building (the only one to own a terrace) is the command of the army in the event of an attack
0405tb30
0405tb31
This map has been fun to create, even if it is not perfect (outside the walls it's all missing or different flowers, the view of the dam from the front is not beautiful), I enjoyed it is the result I like the overall result.
0405tb32
The buildings were inspired by the rivendell style (this is visible in the style of the towers, the pillar that occupy the central square and the military depot), while the green ones are inspired by the county
Thank you for paying attention to this post, sorry for the bad English
by

Wow, your TB is crazy, and especially the time and effort you put in it! Very awesome! Some rock-solid determination like this is already a very good quality for an Artist!
Another one is planning skills! Very good there as well, very good ideas on the smaller scale (i.e. door opening mechanism) as well as on the larger scale (overall plan of the fortress).

What I'd quickly like to address is some building-related things. I am not sure how many of those are things you haven't paid attention to yet and how many you just didnt have the time to work out, so here some remarks on your build:
  • Walls: Good approach with the cobblestone-reinforcements! Personally I'd rather use a different material combination tho, especially cobblestone is not so suitable for a very well-constructed wall; it probably does not add a whole lot to the stability of the wall. Generally I'd use some "basic" material as core of the wall, for example some sort of smooth stone, and then decorate it with a more expensive material, i.e. white bricks.
  • Walls - top: The top of the wall could need some thought. Currently you just have a very basic edge, may be nice to have a bit a fancier balustrade, also one that is higher in some parts so you can easily hide from enemy's arrows behind it. Check out some walls in the newer cities i.e. across Gondor for examples.
  • Wall - floor: For sturdiness I'd rather use a stony material as walking part of the wall. Also a wood floor probably gets worn out pretty quickly under weather influences and is getting slippery when its raining.
  • Main plaza: Again, maybe rather a stony material as floor as its uncovered. Add a fence / balustrade, else its very dangerous to fall down accidentally! The idea to have it elevated is very nice, but add some more supports below, this would most likely collapse as you have it...
  • The dam you could decorate a bit by using the mossy white bricks.
  • House and big tower at the top: Interesting material combination you chose there! But mind these tips: Not more than 3 materials per building (not counting the roof and decorations), it will look like "too much" and not nice anymore. I.e. your big tower uses this white pillar block, birch planks, cobblestone, light gray bricks and the double slabs on the top, which is 5 materials. Check out any town on the map, most of them use only 2 or 3 materials for their walls. Make sure no stone is supported by wood. Stone is a lot heavier and it would not last for very long as the stone would compress the wood and thus distord the building, making it unstable.
  • Your walls are very flat. In the past we found that a wall is looking a lot more interesting if the wall is two blocks wide, the inner block being usually some sort of "core" material, i.e. stone and the outer some decorative arches and pillars, using another material. Again, check out some houses on the map and study how their walls are structured. Also true for the tower!
  • Glass is expensive in Middle-earth, use it in moderation! Especially that one big window is way too big, also makes the house a lot less stable.
  • Always cover the roof shingles from the inside, i.e. with wooden planks. Shingles always need something to lay on, they cannot support themselves and are also not holding off wind and cold on their own.
  • Google for how a silo works ;) You probably should not add a door at the bottom, if you'd open it when the silo's full you'd have all the grains in your face :p Filling and taking out is done from the top only, if I am not mistaken.
  • If you make piles of crates, use different kinds of blocks and not only one to make it look more chaotic and realistic!
  • Compared to the walls, the other towers are almost a bit too over-detailed. Try not to go too crazy with decorative shapes, try to add some simple, clearly distinguishable structures, i.e. arches and not just use as many stairs as possible. Also I would make sure to have no holes in the walls, it may well get cold in the winter where you'd rather not want the wind to flow through the towers.
It's awesome how much time and thought you invested into the TB! What I'd like to recommend you is to go back to it and try re-evaluating your material and shape choices. Be sure to check out and take inspiration from some builds we have on the map!

~ Finrod