• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Lore questions and answer

I believe Tolkien refers to non-Numenoreans as lesser men occasionally. I always understood it to be related to their lifespan principally. The original Numenoreans lived for hundreds of years, while the others still lived for under a century.

ok, so i've been trying to edit the Book of Lost Tales to male it agree with the later canon. A pretty random and most likely futile quest, but i'm enjoying it. In the first chapter Vaire is talking about Olórë Mallë. It's a road by which human children come to Valinor in their dreams. It's not mentioned in any later stories, like many things in the Lost Tales, but i was wondering what the canonical status of it is. Is it too silly for his later Legendarium? or does it deserve a small place?

ok, so i've been trying to edit the Book of Lost Tales to male it agree with the later canon. A pretty random and most likely futile quest, but i'm enjoying it. In the first chapter Vaire is talking about Olórë Mallë. It's a road by which human children come to Valinor in their dreams. It's not mentioned in any later stories, like many things in the Lost Tales, but i was wondering what the canonical status of it is. Is it too silly for his later Legendarium? or does it deserve a small place?

I believe in some of his other writings, not sure which (unfinished tales? Not Silmarillion), he alludes to something similar, and uses it to link middle earth with the modern world. I haven't read some of the newer books though, so I can't give a definitive answer.

One thing that always bugged me:
If the palantir can't transport sound, like the essay in unfinished tales says, how did peregrin took hear sauron?

The confusion comes from the movie, where Saruman speaks at loud to Sauron via the Palantir.

Darn. I was really wishing to do black speech with my hands!
Black SPeech sign language is pretty simple, actually. It consists of a few basic motions. The first and most common is swinging your arms wildly while holding jagged swords. This means "I hate everybody, and I want to kill and eat you". The next is cringing while holding your arms over your head. This either means "it's to bright, I hate the sun", or "you're to strong, please don't kill me". And that pretty much sums it up.

Black SPeech sign language is pretty simple, actually. It consists of a few basic motions. The first and most common is swinging your arms wildly while holding jagged swords. This means "I hate everybody, and I want to kill and eat you". The next is cringing while holding your arms over your head. This either means "it's to bright, I hate the sun", or "you're to strong, please don't kill me". And that pretty much sums it up.
YUS

So, I've privately been compiling a large genealogical tree of all of Aragorn's ancestors and distant relatives. As you can imagine, it's decently extensive. (With the kings of Numenor, Isildur's descendents, Anarions descendents, The House of Beor, Finwe and Olwe's respective families, The House of Hador, you get the idea.) What bugs me to no end is that I am able to connect neither The kings of Rohan nor The Stewards of Gondor. I am not sure if it's possible at all. But I do know that if I connect one, I can get both. (With several strong connections through Prince Imrahil's family, and of course Eowyn being married to Faramir.) My question is, is it possible to find a strong (canon) genealogical connection from either The kings of Rohan, The Stewards of Gondor, or The House of Dol Amroth to any of the above mentioned groups?

This could help you
RMD7AWk.jpg

I found a Khuzdul sign language that is interesting me, called Iglishmêk. Are there any books that show the signs of it?

I found a Khuzdul sign language that is interesting me, called Iglishmêk. Are there any books that show the signs of it?
Tolkien described only a few gests :
- slightly raising the right index finger, then the left one means : " I am listenning"
- raising the two index finger at the same time means "listen !"

When did the blue wizards arrive? Some accounts say the came after Curumno and Aiwendil, but others say they came during the Second Age to help the lesser men against sauron. If this were true, then their staying in Rhûn would make sense because the Easterlings are a lesser kind of men. It is possible that thy didn't come back because they failed and were exiled. Is there an agreed time?
something I found in the Peoples of middle-earth concerning the blue wizards
(not sure if this adds something to the information, but on phone now, so hard to tell)

No names are recorded for the two wizards. They were never
seen or known in lands west of Mordor. The wizards did not
come at the same time
. Possibly Saruman, Gandalf, Radagast
did, but more likely Saruman the chief (and already over
mindful of this) came first and alone. Probably Gandalf and
Radagast came together, though this has not yet been said.
(what is most probable) ... Glorfindel also met Gandalf at the
Havens. The other two are only known to (have) exist(ed) [sic]
by Saruman, Gandalf, and Radagast, and Saruman in his wrath
mentioning five was letting out a piece of private information.

The reference of the last sentence is to Saruman's violent retort to
Gandalf at the door of Orthanc, in which he spoke of 'the rods of the
Five Wizards' (The Two Towers p. 188). Another note is even rougher
and more difficult:

The 'other two' came much earlier, at the same time probably
as Glorfindel, when matters became very dangerous in the
Second Age.
Glorfindel was sent to aid Elrond and was (though
not yet said) pre-eminent in the war in Eriador. But the other
two Istari were sent for a different purpose. Morinehtar and
Romestamo.(28) Darkness-slayer and East-helper. Their task was
to circumvent Sauron: to bring help to the few tribes of Men
that had rebelled from Melkor-worship, to stir up rebellion ...
and after his first fall to search out his hiding (in which they
failed) and to cause [? dissension and disarray] among the
dark East ... They must have had very great influence on the
history of the Second Age and Third Age in weakening and dis-
arraying the forces of East ... who would both in the Second
Age and Third Age otherwise have ... outnumbered the West.

Last edited:
something I found in the Peoples of middle-earth concerning the blue wizards
(not sure if this adds something to the information, but on phone now, so hard to tell)

No names are recorded for the two wizards. They were never
seen or known in lands west of Mordor. The wizards did not
come at the same time
. Possibly Saruman, Gandalf, Radagast
did, but more likely Saruman the chief (and already over
mindful of this) came first and alone. Probably Gandalf and
Radagast came together, though this has not yet been said.
(what is most probable) ... Glorfindel also met Gandalf at the
Havens. The other two are only known to (have) exist(ed) [sic]
by Saruman, Gandalf, and Radagast, and Saruman in his wrath
mentioning five was letting out a piece of private information.

The reference of the last sentence is to Saruman's violent retort to
Gandalf at the door of Orthanc, in which he spoke of 'the rods of the
Five Wizards' (The Two Towers p. 188). Another note is even rougher
and more difficult:

The 'other two' came much earlier, at the same time probably
as Glorfindel, when matters became very dangerous in the
Second Age.
Glorfindel was sent to aid Elrond and was (though
not yet said) pre-eminent in the war in Eriador. But the other
two Istari were sent for a different purpose. Morinehtar and
Romestamo.(28) Darkness-slayer and East-helper. Their task was
to circumvent Sauron: to bring help to the few tribes of Men
that had rebelled from Melkor-worship, to stir up rebellion ...
and after his first fall to search out his hiding (in which they
failed) and to cause [? dissension and disarray] among the
dark East ... They must have had very great influence on the
history of the Second Age and Third Age in weakening and dis-
arraying the forces of East ... who would both in the Second
Age and Third Age otherwise have ... outnumbered the West.
This is what I meant about them coming in the second age. Wait, no names are recorded, then he proceeds to give them names? O_O