• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Under review MCME Timeline Update

NelmanBlack

Guide
Guide
Supporter
Credits
XP
As much as I am not a fan of making more an more Suggestion Threads I'm not sure where else would be best without getting in the way of Discussion etc.

Over the last 6 months or so during my spare time I have been (as most already know), making an updated version of the Timeline as the official Timeline has not been updated since last August. During my time on MCME researching events and spelunking through the Forums I have found there to be a lot of information that is not on the Timeline of all kinds including join dates of Team Members, events and videos that we have posted. So in the effort to spread this info and making the history of the server more easy to access if have started this revamp.

I will note a couple of the reasons for the changes made and design choices, mainly being the fact that I have chosen a horizontal table. I feel this works better for casual viewing as with the old Timeline you had to grab the scroll bar and move your mouse along the table, now you can just scroll. The Timeline is all in one sheet now to make scrolling between years simpler and with build periods going across years making the visualisation a bit simpler (this may be an issue down the line with loading the table if it is all on one page but when that becomes an issue we can split it back into years easy enough). As for the colouring and box designs, I have used a couple of the same tags to keep the date colours consistent but with the need for expansion I have added a couple, and the box design helps add information while seperating events cleaner than just a cell and allows for the mention build periods and such to be shown across a period of time.

I have also added a table at the start of the Timeline for ease of access to the rest of the years/months to be used as well as the usual 'Search' function, which helps with it being on the same page as with the old Timeline you have to go to each year to see if there was a name or event you were searching for.

I was going to wait until I had fully transferred the dates from the current map but with people in the wings willing to help me with this and adding all the new dates we have found during our research I figured I'd make it 'public' so that people can make suggestions and add any queries.

Check it out and tell me what your think?? (also a PDF for those that want a good look)

MCME - Server Timeline Update (Public)

I have the honor to be your obedient servant
N. Black

Attachments

• _MCME - Server Timeline Update (Public) - Timeline.pdf
    314.9 KB · Views: 130
I will only suggest some consistency. I am assuming you did it on purpose but I think that promotions, people joining, builds, etc being on both sides at different places is confusing and very hard to follow. Better keep it in the same columns

Yea I had it switch every month to add variety and so differentiate the months but I agree now that you say that. Thanks!!

Added a couple edits and updated the layout to account for more events and builds later down the line. Also added the new information that we have at the moment to 'finalise' the first 4 months.

About a quarter of the way through with the rest of the Timeline.

with a PDF version for anyone that wants.

Attachments

• _MCME - Server Timeline Update (Public) - Public Version.pdf
    191.5 KB · Views: 114
Revitalizing this thread simply because I'd like the timeline we have now to at least be updated with the latest developments by somebody.
One question I have about this newly proposed format is its ability to be updated over time. Obviously, the presentation and detail is nicer, but we've had many people take up the role of updating the timeline over the years (see the thread https://www.mcmiddleearth.com/community/threads/minecraft-middle-earth-timeline.280/page-3 for details on that) as a result of people going inactive or resigning. If we switched to this format, would we be able to reliably find someone who could update it in future? I'm just concerned that only you will have that knowledge and ability should the format be accepted.

Revitalizing this thread simply because I'd like the timeline we have now to at least be updated with the latest developments by somebody.
One question I have about this newly proposed format is its ability to be updated over time. Obviously, the presentation and detail is nicer, but we've had many people take up the role of updating the timeline over the years (see the thread https://www.mcmiddleearth.com/community/threads/minecraft-middle-earth-timeline.280/page-3 for details on that) as a result of people going inactive or resigning. If we switched to this format, would we be able to reliably find someone who could update it in future? I'm just concerned that only you will have that knowledge and ability should the format be accepted.

Atleast from what I understand the Timeline is generally easy to learn/understand as unlike the other timelines and tables it uses multiple merged cells to make a shape which can be edited rather easily. I am still working on it and the layout etc each time i add stuff especially with the frequency of projects becoming an issue later in the timeline.

Having a purpose built timeline outside of excel would be ideal but I haven't found anything that works well enough yet. I have almost convinced myself to just use photoshop etc to make a PDF like the Excel sheet which would give us style flexibility and such while using the spreadsheet as a guide but that will need testing. With talk of updating Server lore docs again I am keen to try and push for all this again like I did last year but that all comes down to time.

Soon I am thinking about starting current events/history so we dont keep falling behind while I'm working on the past.

Just adding events with the new format in the future, for example a year's worth of events from 2024 or something like that. Would that take much longer than it has with the old format?

Just adding events with the new format in the future, for example a year's worth of events from 2024 or something like that. Would that take much longer than it has with the old format?

Yea the new format would take longer due to the extra info and detail it has, but it is generally easy to do and wouldn't be a hassle especially if it is kept up with.

Additionally, half the battle of redoing the Timeline so far is the research, double checking and expanding on each event and the addition of Youtube videos (for example), and builds that have no written account due to the website shutdown. More recent events will be a lot easier to add and layout in full as we have most of the info in the Discord or Forums already.

I can also say not, to drag out talking to myself any more than I am, that with what I have just done with getting the 'current Timeline' up to date, it generally takes the same amount of time, save a bit more description/outline and the actual number of events we have in the new one.

For the meantime I will be helping to update the current MCME Timeline so we can use that as a resource again and then from that see whether an update is preferred or not.