• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Under review MCME Wiki Project

NelmanBlack

Guide
Guide
Supporter
Credits
XP
~ MCME Wiki ~

Whether this is sacrilegious, by suggesting an external website for MCME knowing we have an internal wiki, but in wasting time organising the Aman project, I've fiddled with World Anvil and slowly come to realisation that it could be useful to make a wiki for the MCME server.

As a through line for me, it does tie in well with the race mapping and such that we never got to finish.

In addition to having an interactive website for all of the builds and the history of the server, which could be useful for people to read through and keep track of (for Guides on location histories/info or just events). Whether that falls to just updating the current wiki to be more user friendly and expansive outside of a bullet point list on the far end of the tab list. Or creating an external site, which most aren't keen on.

I feel adding photo's, connections between each location with information and histories of each could be a more in-depth history tracker for the server, than the MCME Museum (that a lot of people don't already know about) or the depths of the Forums, trying to find photos and a date/player connected to a certain iteration of a build from a decade ago.

I know that Fandom is a main "unofficial official" place for wiki sites but there are definitely other sites to do it if it ends up being external.

Basically my constant preach for ease of access continues!! :D

*RESOURCES*
MCME Wiki - Main Sheet
MCME Wiki - (Public) Locations List [slightly outdated]

Last edited:
Looking at our "Wiki" it clearly has been lacking the attention that it so desperately needs. This could be a very valuable resource to develop more on, as it can be controlled by MCME and can be used as a resource by the players of MCME to provide clear and concise information. I am unsure about how articles would be made and how it would work into making the Wiki intro a more inviting and exciting resource, so some input from Q or Eriol would be required.

Westeroscraft recently revamped their Website to include this new "Progress" page, which is very interactive and then links into their wiki, which explains a bit more about the projects/locations. This would definitely be a better way to display our projects and gives the many Screenshotters and Server Lore enthusiasts a chance to help out. Additionally this can be handled all internally and does not mean we have to be reliant on external websites such as Fandom.

Suggesting an external site mainly came from both familiarity with those external wiki's and ultimately not knowing how far we can push the XenForo site.

Like you said, this allows us to show off our projects more in depth and display them with a lot more promotion by adding old info, new info, screenshots and (I wouldn't be surprised) memes. The Progress page may be especially nice because we can layout a list (or even a map), of the locations in Middle Earth and see the whole layout for project that we have at that time. As well as allowing people to see what is not built and then being able to make stuff in Freebuild and test the waters before the official project starts.

After having more of a look at the Westeroscraft Wiki, they have quite a good basis to go (without copying them). Builds split into regions, progress and notable info and a bunch of photos showing of the builds to boot.

I have some experience with MediaWiki - the system that powers ALL wikis including Wikipedia, FANDOM etc... - so we need not necessarily depend on an external site and just build a wiki and host it ourselves.

(Admittedly my experience is not too extensive, but I intend to get more familiarised with this regardless)

I mean that still counts as external from the Forums if I am understanding what you mean.

My main focus on an external site like FANDOM, was geared to the fact that the formatting we have is kind of crap for layout and not sure if it would just work better than squeezing everything in the wiki section we already have. Which is definitely in the left scroll basement.

So I am planning a website revamp in the near future too. Tho my webdev friend has been very busy lately. Nevertheless I think integrating a wiki system onto one of our pages shouldn't be too hard. This project however does come with many more questions and a lot of work besides choosing the right platform.
I would suggest coming up with a structure and starring to gather material as we may also realize that most projects are not documented too well and the wiki will feel quite empty.
I always wanted to make an interactive MCME map but the last couple of years have been quite full with a lot of projects. I think we can definitely use websites like FANDOM to organize ourselves and make something of a prototype but long term we should think about having a custom dedicated website.
There also is some wiki somewhere, if I remember correctly, that someone ran as a smear campaign. Might be worth finding that and reporting it if we are going to set up an official wiki page.

So I am planning a website revamp in the near future too. Tho my webdev friend has been very busy lately. Nevertheless I think integrating a wiki system onto one of our pages shouldn't be too hard. This project however does come with many more questions and a lot of work besides choosing the right platform.
I would suggest coming up with a structure and starring to gather material as we may also realize that most projects are not documented too well and the wiki will feel quite empty.
I always wanted to make an interactive MCME map but the last couple of years have been quite full with a lot of projects. I think we can definitely use websites like FANDOM to organize ourselves and make something of a prototype but long term we should think about having a custom dedicated website.
There also is some wiki somewhere, if I remember correctly, that someone ran as a smear campaign. Might be worth finding that and reporting it if we are going to set up an official wiki page.
Would be very keen to add that to my ever growing list, the biggest thing was seeing if there was interest and any point in trying to gather info without it leading anywhere. Making a spreadsheet, list of elements and then gathering info and like you say using Fandom as a tester.

I feel every wiki has some sort of area which is lacking in information and history but atleast here we can add photos or a in progress/in development sign on the page rather than leaving it entirely blank. The wiki being kept up to date will be an ever growing beast. After finishing most locations there will always be a new race that passes through or some random trivia to add when there isn't a big project going on.

The hardest thing will be finding relevant info from years ago. Which just takes time (and dedication).

Did we have any idea what the slander wiki was called, that'd be interesting to see!​

Over the next week I'll have a look at making an excel sheet/doc and FANDOM pages to start stuff off and test the waters.

If anyone is interested in helping out or has any ideas for what elements to display in the wiki (like a progression tracker), DM me!!

Did we have any idea what the slander wiki was called, that'd be interesting to see!
I think the story goes that it was originally our wiki but the person that set it up grew mad with the server and used it to get back at us. So should be something like MCME wiki or so.

Have done a tiny bit of prep work and initial planning in this Excel spreadsheet. I have gone through and made a list of most (I definitely missed a few) of the warps on the Map within the Mainworld and Moria servers.

On the first page is a quick breakdown of the initial ideas that came to mind. I will update, add and change items with feedback and more research into our own and other wikis. Have a read, a look through and even comment, and we can hopefully expand on what we plan to do.

I will slowly be adding and checking up on the sheet when more things come to mind!​

I have started to make a FANDOM site and found that there were already two that have been made (MCME Wiki and MCME Texturepack Wiki), although cannot see any info on them so whether they are indeed linked to us that may be useful to acquire.

The problem with using FANDOM is that it is a 3rd party, for-profit company, which comes with several drawbacks.

For one, we do not have full control of it. FANDOM is fully entitled to do whatever they like with the wikis the host. On top of that, their policy is that anyone should be able to edit pages, regardless of whether or not they are registered users or trusted by the "owners" of the wikis; it is possible to lock pages, but this still goes against their TOS and they remove the lock when they discover it.

Secondly - ads and popups. Need I say more?

Third - their overall GUI has taken a massive dip with a recent update (IMHO); nor does their service allow full customisation of the GUI.

What I propose we do, instead, is host a MediaWiki engine on our own website. This would allow us full control of everything on the wiki, not restricted to anyone else's rules. Editing permissions can be handled as we see fit, the GUI can be modified to whatever we like, and of course no ads or popups or whatever. The wiki will essentially be a subdomain of mcmiddleearth.com.

The problem with using FANDOM is that it is a 3rd party, for-profit company, which comes with several drawbacks.

For one, we do not have full control of it. FANDOM is fully entitled to do whatever they like with the wikis the host. On top of that, their policy is that anyone should be able to edit pages, regardless of whether or not they are registered users or trusted by the "owners" of the wikis; it is possible to lock pages, but this still goes against their TOS and they remove the lock when they discover it.

Secondly - ads and popups. Need I say more?

Third - their overall GUI has taken a massive dip with a recent update (IMHO); nor does their service allow full customisation of the GUI.

What I propose we do, instead, is host a MediaWiki engine on our own website. This would allow us full control of everything on the wiki, not restricted to anyone else's rules. Editing permissions can be handled as we see fit, the GUI can be modified to whatever we like, and of course no ads or popups or whatever. The wiki will essentially be a subdomain of mcmiddleearth.com.

Exactly, the primary course has been to host on the forums, I have only been using fandom to test out layouts and methods of access. Additionally with the other MCME sites was to see if they were linked to anyone still active since they are somewhat linked to MCME. Fandom has a lot more flaws that that but while we are still in development and technically in the suggestions phase trying to layout and understand what we would like from the wiki is for the moment one of the only ways to waste time while I wait for info back and do some dumpster diving myself.

With my time split between a few organisational projects and the fact that we may be waiting on other pieces to move before we are able to implement action on the wiki I am reluctant to collect info as that is a task within itself which at the moment doesn't have enough push behind it. If this gains momentum and backing I'll create another Forum post outside of Suggestions and outline the game-plan that we are figuring out now.

Endgame of this, whether it will be linked with the revamp of the Forums like Toti was suggesting, I would possibly like to organise some unique decorative banners and icons for the wiki to try and make it it's own beast rather than just having the social platforms solely plastered with a good screenshot and the MCME logo. But that is a talk for another day.

I am writing this while I'm quite tired and without reading back so take this with a grain of salt and I'll revise and probably comment again in the morning

:D

G'day ya'll!

Had a bit of time to update and complete this after feeling somewhat motivated. After creating the Warp List, I went through a couple "Location List's' and tried to find most of the Tolkien canon locations relative to the timeframe and area that MCME covers. There is definitely something that I missed so I am gonna chuck it in here (and a couple other places), in addition to it being an update to the Region Percentage idea.

If anyone thinks of something, don't hesitate to add anything. Like I have written in the Sheet as well, if there is a location that isn't canon but integral to (the theme, story, structure) Tolkien and MCME, add it and I'll have a look.

Hope to be working on this and other projects more and more!
Thanks!

'MCME Wiki - Locations List' Sheet: Link

Also had a read back through and can't see if I did end up posting the main Sheet that I have been using so I've switched it to Commentor so y'all can have a look. It has a bit of a "Mission Statement" and general idea on what would be cool to have.

If anyone seeing this wants to help out, shoot me a message and I can give you perms on the Sheet.

Very keen to get this going again!! :D

Link

If you want we can explore the software, I can make a bunch of accounts for those who are interested in creating and maintaining a wiki.

If you want we can explore the software, I can make a bunch of accounts for those who are interested in creating and maintaining a wiki.
Had a bit of a play around and a look at tutorials etc. and the software looks perfect!! I know a couple other people that have expressed interest in helping out but whether Iru was pulling everything together to make a bit of an organised effort? Let me know what's next!