• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Misleading things

0_Dusty_0

Slab Fanatic
Credits
XP
Post things you think are miss leading.

I'll start things off with this miss leading thing on maps:
Blue=Greenland, Pink=Africa
mercator.png

On the left is how big Greenland is compared to Africa on a flat map. And on the right is how big they actually are compared to each other...​

The distance between Earth and the moon as depicted in media, tv shows, movies is really misleading.
Popular depiction:
240px--Orbit_of_the_Moon_in_2013.ogv.jpg

)
What kind of movies and TV shows are you watching? I don't think anyone is stupid enough to believe the moon is that close to us.
The kind of thing you guys are posting are examples for very early school work. The moon picture to describe what an orbit is and the planet one to help people remember the names of the planets and the order they appear in. When it's gone in to more detail you will be taught the scale and size of things, it's just not needed in Scrub level astronomy.

What kind of movies and TV shows are you watching? I don't think anyone is stupid enough to believe the moon is that close to us. The kind of thing you guys are posting are examples for very early school work. The moon picture to describe what an orbit is and the planet one to help people remember the names of the planets and the order they appear in. When it's gone in to more detail you will be taught the scale and size of things, it's just not needed in Scrub level astronomy.

Many models have the moon that close and many people believe it's that close, so what kind of movies and TV do you watch? In this video almost everyone thinks it's that close:

Last edited:
What kind of movies and TV shows are you watching? I don't think anyone is stupid enough to believe the moon is that close to us.
The kind of thing you guys are posting are examples for very early school work. The moon picture to describe what an orbit is and the planet one to help people remember the names of the planets and the order they appear in. When it's gone in to more detail you will be taught the scale and size of things, it's just not needed in Scrub level astronomy.
galactica-moon-earth.jpg

article-2438631-1839FD4A00000578-801_634x399.jpg

photo-50-362x207.jpg

306193_2988842013850_1646095935_32214698_422352874_n.jpg

Thats-No-Moon.jpg

Wait, that's no moon...
Gallifrey_earth.jpg

You don't seem to realise just how many people actually confuse the space between the moon and Earth. I die a little inside every time I see the moon or another planet this large and close to the Earth in a TV show.

This website is very misleading

The site is Pen Island and they sell different kinds of pens.

And please stop fighting people, this thread is for Misleading things not for fighting over how far away the Moon is. If you want to fight about that just go make a thread for it and do it there not here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Obama!
fnc-an-20111212-markedchart.jpg

Lines were added to show how wrong the graph is:p

EDIT: The posting of this image is not meant to signify any personal or other political opinions.

Last edited:
Reactions: B_n
This website is very misleading http://www.penisland.net/

The site is Pen Island and they sell different kinds of pens.

And please stop fighting people, this thread is for Misleading things not for fighting over how far away the Moon is. If you want to fight about that just go make a thread for it and do it there not here.
Pretty sure you got told off for linking this before. Stop taking the piss.
Thanks Obama!
Lines were added to show how wrong the graph is:p
mcme TOS
  1. Promoting or discussing religious or political views is prohibited.

Please stop arguing, this is a thread for misleading things not a thread for fighting. Like I said if you want to fight and argue with each other make a thread for that, don't do it in this one.

This is something that annoys me so much:
truth-in-advertising.png

You think you're getting a beautiful looking burger that's big and juicy, but you get something that looks like it was made in 5 seconds and isn't big or juicy.

Last edited:
No one is fighting or arguing. There was a post that was inline for clarification regarding the TOS and Rules. As long as members of the community are on topic within the TOS and Rules and are within context of the thread, then they may post as they please, and maintain a dialogue. However, should someone(s) violate the TOS and Rules, their content is subject to moderation by the Staff. Please be mindful of what is posted and how it might be perceived. Any links, photos, or videos that are questionable within the TOS and Rules may be subject to reporting, and will be passed on to staff. Please remain on topic and think carefully before sharing links, photos, and videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
galactica-moon-earth.jpg

article-2438631-1839FD4A00000578-801_634x399.jpg

photo-50-362x207.jpg

306193_2988842013850_1646095935_32214698_422352874_n.jpg

Thats-No-Moon.jpg

Wait, that's no moon...
Gallifrey_earth.jpg

You don't seem to realise just how many people actually confuse the space between the moon and Earth. I die a little inside every time I see the moon or another planet this large and close to the Earth in a TV show.

Whats that last picture of?

Here is a very misleading image of the back of Call of Duty Ghosts.
269123_back.jpg

"redefined multiplayer"

Shots like these happen in real life. Example, when the location where the image is taken is far from the actual thing, as in the tree above, the tree becomes smaller faster than the moon becomes smaller. Thus, it is not your moon which is bigger than natural, but your tree which has shrunk.

Please stop arguing, this is a thread for misleading things not a thread for fighting. Like I said if you want to fight and argue with each other make a thread for that, don't do it in this one.

This is something that annoys me so much:
truth-in-advertising.png

You think you're getting a beautiful looking burger that's big and juicy, but you get something that looks like it was made in 5 seconds and isn't big or juicy.
Enjoy...