• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

• Did you know you can upload your screenshots to your own Media section?.You can get ratings and comments on the uploaded material!

Mordor Resource Pack

Fireinferno13

One Of Us, One of Us
Commoner
Credits
XP
Mordor Texture Suggestions
Lead:
Fire and Eriol

latest

Introduction
With Mordor coming around the corner after the completion of Gondor, we wanted to make sure that the corresponding RP will be ready in time for implementation. Rather than placing the project "on hold" while we wait for textures, it would be great to brainstorm and submit textures here! I will continue to update the thread as the organization progresses.

Landscapes:
Dead Marshes
- Reeds​
No-Man Lands and Dagorlad
Gorgoroth and Udun
Mount Doom
Nurn
- Crop variants?​
Shelob's Lair
- Complex webs
- Webbed corpses​

Structures:
The Black Gate
Barad-Dur
Minas Morgul
Cirith Ungol
Durthang

Various:
Orc fortifications

Last edited:
I was thinking about Shelob's Lair - we will need several variants of cobweb textures. Specifically those to create somewhat elaborate webbing along the corridors without just placing the classic minecraft webs that look crappy. We will also need some captured and webbed corpses. Not sure what the best way to do this would be. Thoughts on how we could achieve this @Eriol_Eandur ?
9c6ffaa0.jpg

View attachment 10101 View attachment 10102 View attachment 10103 The acacia wood from my pack and had a play with the water
Where would we use black tinted wood though? Also we can make greenish water by altering the biomes.

I'll also make some pale faces and mossy rocks for the dead marshes in the form of cheads
I would use the Elven/Gondor armor as a template for this, as the ghostly faces will need to be attached to their bodies.

I was thinking about Shelob's Lair - we will need several variants of cobweb textures. Specifically those to create somewhat elaborate webbing along the corridors without just placing the classic minecraft webs that look crappy. We will also need some captured and webbed corpses. Not sure what the best way to do this would be.
How about paintings? Since you would be in a tunnel short render distance is hardly a problem.

I would use the Elven/Gondor armor as a template for this, as the ghostly faces will need to be attached to their bodies.
oh yeah. Didn't think of that. Good idea.

I was thinking about Shelob's Lair - we will need several variants of cobweb textures. Specifically those to create somewhat elaborate webbing along the corridors without just placing the classic minecraft webs that look crappy. We will also need some captured and webbed corpses. Not sure what the best way to do this would be. Thoughts on how we could achieve this @Eriol_Eandur ?
9c6ffaa0.jpg

Where would we use black tinted wood though? Also we can make greenish water by altering the biomes.

Glas panes, wich allows us to connect multiple of them

The acacia wood from my pack and had a play with the water
True, we can change water color with biomes, but may still be interesting to see how this texture looks iname and in different biomes. However I fear the Sea of Nurn has water that still looks mostly normal, so I guess we'll go with the water texture we alread have.

I have an idea. Retexture vines to look like handholds in a cliff face to use at places where they climb.
I could try to texture this when I have the time.
Interesting idea! I'd rather use a painting for that tho, and keep the vines as vines, or something similar.
However, while the stairs at the Pass of Cirith Ungol are very steep they still should be flat enough to occasionally place some regular footprints. I mean Hobbits cannot climb near-vertical clifffaces after all... But really nide idea nevertheless!

@Fireinferno13: The webs will be quite a challenge I think. Glass panes may be interesting, but they're not walk-through. Maybe we can figure out a set of randomized textures for the cobweb block that gives a nice look...

A further idea I am having is regarding vegetation: I don't have the book with me rn, but I think there were some plants along the path Frodo and Sam took through Mordor, some brown shrubbery and short grass perhaps. It'll be a challenge to make the barren lands of Mordor look barren but not boring!

Interesting idea! I'd rather use a painting for that tho, and keep the vines as vines, or something similar.
However, while the stairs at the Pass of Cirith Ungol are very steep they still should be flat enough to occasionally place some regular footprints. I mean Hobbits cannot climb near-vertical clifffaces after all... But really nide idea nevertheless!
I think the hole idea of using vines is that you can climb on them, you can't climb on paintings.

@Fireinferno13: The webs will be quite a challenge I think. Glass panes may be interesting, but they're not walk-through. Maybe we can figure out a set of randomized textures for the cobweb block that gives a nice look...
I think using glass panes would not work for that reason. Half the fun of traversing Shelob's Lair will be avoiding getting caught in the webs.

I assume cobwebs can be randomized like any other texture so that part should not be difficult. The hard part will be whether we can link multiple cobweb variants together to create a more complex web or webbed tunnels.
A further idea I am having is regarding vegetation: I don't have the book with me rn, but I think there were some plants along the path Frodo and Sam took through Mordor, some brown shrubbery and short grass perhaps. It'll be a challenge to make the barren lands of Mordor look barren but not boring!
I will see what I can find myself. If you post references and perhaps pictures, I can make some 32bit vegetation.

Hm I'll take a look when I'm back home but Mordor was not a hot place; actually it was very cold. Frodo and Sam were mentioned shivering from the cold.

Yes it was. Constant cloudiness. A custom cloudy sky would make this very immersive. But of course, if you have optifine.

Last edited:
Might be worth re-reading the Mordor chapters a bit less quick as I am doing it now, but here's some findings from Book VI, chapter 2

• When they jump off the bridge over the Morgai they land in a "tangle of thorny bushes". Sam comments: "Bless me, Mr. Frodo, but I didn't know as anything grew in Mordor! But if I had a'known, this is just what I'd have looked for. These thorns must be a foot long by the feel of them; they've stuck through everything I've got on. Wish I'd a'put that mail-shirt on!' 'Orc-mail doesn't keep these thorns out,' said Frodo. 'Not even a leather jerkin is any good"
  • In the Morgai: "The river-bed was now some way below the path. They scrambled down to it, and began to cross it. To their surprise they came upon dark pools fed by threads of water trickling down from some source higher up the valley. Upon its outer marges under the westward mountains Mordor was a dying land, but it was not yet dead. And here things still grew, harsh, twisted, bitter, struggling for life. In the glens of the Morgai on the other side of the valley low scrubby trees lurked and clung, coarse grey grass-tussocks fought with the stones, and withered mosses crawled on them; and everywhere great writhing, tangled brambles sprawled. Some had long stabbing thorns, some hooked barbs that rent like knives. The sullen shrivelled leaves of a past year hung on them, grating and rattling in the sad airs, but their maggot-ridden buds were only just opening. Flies, dun or grey, or black, marked like orcs with a red eye-shaped blotch, buzzed and stung; and above the briar-thickets clouds of hungry midges danced and reeled."
  • "Quickly they slunk out of sight behind a brown and stunted bush."
  • Regarding Nurnen: "Neither he nor Frodo knew anything of the great slave-worked fields away south in this wide realm, beyond the fumes of the Mountain by the dark sad waters of Lake Nurnen; nor of the great roads that ran away east and south to tributary lands, from which the soldiers of the Tower brought long waggon-trains of goods and booty and fresh slaves. Here in the northward regions were the mines and forges, and the musterings of long-planned war"

Last edited: