• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Moria - Stage 2: Idea collecting and fine planning

I've always imagined the "like a man, but greater" line to be that he was the same size as a man( maybe a bit larger) but it was the appearance that made it seem like it was much more than just a man.
The shadows of nothingness ARE a pretty big giveaway.....

If it comes to it, just go with the idea that the Balrog's appearance may be much larger than its actual physical form (if "physical" is even the right word, given that we're talking about spirits of fire and shadow), as something of a manifestation of its power. I don't think we need to fuss too much about making the stairs super-huge to fit the film appearance.

(I do genuinely love the film depiction, though. Unf.)

Reactions: B_n
Wonder why they would have writing on that gauntlet? Unless it was the language of Morgoth (Black Speech? or did Sauron invent that?) I don't see why any writing would be use.

Cool picture though.

But yeah, the film Balrog is pretty amazing.

I prefer this one:
Rob_Alexander_-_The_Balrog_of_Moria.jpg

have them pour the lava into channels, that lead to forges and smelters. rivers of lava running through moria.

Sure thing!
Here's a suggestion: Have aqueducts set up to pour down "waterfalls" of lava, they wouldn't have a purpose, they would just have been used for decoration.
Physic-theoretically we should not have any liquid lava around (as it would for long have turned solid), however as it's such an important element we will have "natural" (lava lakes in deep caverns), technical (smithing) and decorative lava here and there.

Could be cool if we had liquid gold or something but would have cooled so that wouldn't work

have them pour the lava into channels, that lead to forges and smelters. rivers of lava running through moria.

I actually saw such channels in the first Hobbit movie, and I was sold from the first beginning:
Erebor5.PNG

I would really love to see those in Moria. Maybe we could do something like Amsterdam, with the channels flow between houses of dwarven jewelers.

Reactions: B_n