• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Moria - Stage 2: Idea collecting and fine planning

The Hobbit movies were (in my opinion) the most lore-inaccurate cinematic piece created, so it's not really a good source of information.
Also the liquids you see in the movies are molds (as far as I can tell), which would be hardend by the time the fellowship passed by.
Not a good source of information, but they could be a good source of ideas. Of course, we would then need to validate their accuracy.

Not a good source of information, but they could be a good source of ideas. Of course, we would then need to validate their accuracy.
I agree, I think that the channels you see in the Hobbit movies make a lot of convenient sense for Moria. Just because the fellowship didn't see anything like that, doesn't mean they aren't there.

Reactions: B_n
When you're walking through "minas moriah" you find certain parts that you can see, but that are closed off to you. My whole imagination of Moria is of course, as the rest of us, a mind bogglingly huge and complex three dimensional maze, but like in "minas moriah" I think it's be cool to give you a sense of it even being bigger, you've gotten to what you think is the bottom most chamber in Moria, but there's odd holes or maybe cracks that you cant get through, but gives a sense of an infinite labyrinth. Perhaps we're making it already so colossal that we don't even need to add that kind of thing, but to go over-over-over-over-overkill, we could do something like that.

Also the liquids you see in the movies are molds (as far as I can tell), which would be hardend by the time the fellowship passed by.
That could be simulated with layered snow (don't know if that's already in use). give it a crusted metallic texture and it could indeed be the hardened molds...

I agree though: Don't just add something 'cause "it's in the movies". I still regret seeing the first one...

When you're walking through "minas moriah" you find certain parts that you can see, but that are closed off to you. My whole imagination of Moria is of course, as the rest of us, a mind bogglingly huge and complex three dimensional maze, but like in "minas moriah" I think it's be cool to give you a sense of it even being bigger, you've gotten to what you think is the bottom most chamber in Moria, but there's odd holes or maybe cracks that you cant get through, but gives a sense of an infinite labyrinth. Perhaps we're making it already so colossal that we don't even need to add that kind of thing, but to go over-over-over-over-overkill, we could do something like that.
I don't see the logic in your proposition. If I correctly understand, your point is "make it huge, and even more", but if we add even more places, why don't make them accessible too? Especially when the Moria isn't an one direction dead end corridor: you almost always have more than one corridor to leave a hall/cave. Inaccessible locations don't make make me feel "oh man this place is huge", because the place is actually not bigger than it would be if these locations were accessible. I only find that irrealistic and it bother me. It males me feel tricked by the builder/developper (and not only ine Minecraft) who was too lazy to finish his job. And I don't say that our staff is lazy, of course not ! They are actually very courageous too build such a titanic Moria. But if you want to add even more things, do it completely, not just half the work.

Last edited:
I don't see the logic in your proposition. If I correctly understand, your point is "make it huge, and even more", but if we add even more places, why don't make them accessible too? Especially when the Moria isn't an one direction dead end corridor: you almost always have more than one corridor to leave a hall/cave. Inaccessible locations don't make make me feel "oh man this place is huge", because the place is actually not bigger than it would be if these locations were accessible. I only find that irrealistic and it bother me. It males me feel tricked by the builder/developper (and not only ine Minecraft) who was too lazy to finish his job. And I don't say that our staff is lazy, of course not ! They are actually very courageous too build such a titanic Moria. But if you want to add even more things, do it completely, not just half the work.

Yeah, I see what you mean, the kind of thing I'm thinking about is collapsed sections and tunnels, for one, it would make sense for there to be some (moria being so ancient) and also, it just makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck to think of a huge open space behind that rubble pile in the doorway, or through those cracks in the wall.
We wouldn't need to make the space behind a so called rubble pile inaccessible, but have that particular entrance blocked up. With my original idea however, this kind of thing would be at the very bottom of moria, in the deepest recesses of the mine, probably taking at least an hour of walking to get down to these areas it would be a creepy feeling that moria goes even deeper. And just to be clear, we wouldn't block off completely any halls that are going to be made in detail, i.e, we wouldn't subtract anything from the colossal size we already have, we would use this stuff to add detail and give moria realism. I'd actually think it unrealistic without this kind of thing, the first reason being that of course moria would be damaged heavily in some areas, and the second is that in the books Tolkien seems to describe moria as something that would take more than a life time to explore, of course in mc we can't make that happen, but we can make it feel that way.

You get what I'm saying? To put it in a basic form, say if moria was a straight hallway, that was it, instead of having a simple dead end, we could make it seem like the hall goes for longer, (we wouldn't be shortening the hall thats already there) but the rest (that doesn't actually exist) had collapsed. I totally agree that it is kind of annoying to be exploring a build like this only to find parts you cant access, but I think it's equally irritating to run into a flat wall at the end of all the work, but showing that you cant continue because the passage had collapsed gives a more interesting feel.

Yeah, I see what you mean, the kind of thing I'm thinking about is collapsed sections and tunnels, for one, it would make sense for there to be some (moria being so ancient) and also, it just makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck to think of a huge open space behind that rubble pile in the doorway, or through those cracks in the wall.
We wouldn't need to make the space behind a so called rubble pile inaccessible, but have that particular entrance blocked up. With my original idea however, this kind of thing would be at the very bottom of moria, in the deepest recesses of the mine, probably taking at least an hour of walking to get down to these areas it would be a creepy feeling that moria goes even deeper. And just to be clear, we wouldn't block off completely any halls that are going to be made in detail, i.e, we wouldn't subtract anything from the colossal size we already have, we would use this stuff to add detail and give moria realism. I'd actually think it unrealistic without this kind of thing, the first reason being that of course moria would be damaged heavily in some areas, and the second is that in the books Tolkien seems to describe moria as something that would take more than a life time to explore, of course in mc we can't make that happen, but we can make it feel that way.

You get what I'm saying? To put it in a basic form, say if moria was a straight hallway, that was it, instead of having a simple dead end, we could make it seem like the hall goes for longer, (we wouldn't be shortening the hall thats already there) but the rest (that doesn't actually exist) had collapsed. I totally agree that it is kind of annoying to be exploring a build like this only to find parts you cant access, but I think it's equally irritating to run into a flat wall at the end of all the work, but showing that you cant continue because the passage had collapsed gives a more interesting feel.
It could be a good idea to, in one of those places, have a hole in the dead-end, so you can peek through, and see a tunnel that goes for a few blocks before turning sharply. That would be the ultimate imagination runner.

It could be a good idea to, in one of those places, have a hole in the dead-end, so you can peek through, and see a tunnel that goes for a few blocks before turning sharply. That would be the ultimate imagination runner.
Generally I'm not too much of a fan of collapsed/broken corridors, as, as Bombur said, it may make the impression of being to lazy to construct more (This has been used very often in old Moria). However your thought on people starting to ask "wth is back there?" is really cool, and as Moria will be so massive there should be enough room for a few of those.

I understand and agree with @bender400 's logic. I would get the impression from blocked hallways that moria goes on even more, but perhaps not everyone would.
Also random thought: could we have one or two triumphal arch kind of things? (e.g. the…wait for it…arc de triomphe, or the roman arches that one was based off of)
and/or other monumental stuff: pillars, obelisk, other things that I'm not aware of.

Finrod, please say there's gonna be more warps in there than just the west and east gate, cauz' Moria is ****ing huge and I already avoid the Paths of the Dead just because of all those little sideways that lead nowhere and there's no warp for the actual city

Finrod, please say there's gonna be more warps in there than just the west and east gate, cauz' Moria is ****ing huge and I already avoid the Paths of the Dead just because of all those little sideways that lead nowhere and there's no warp for the actual city
I dont know yet, but dear friend, do you know that you can just simply make your own warps? ;) [/warp pcreate zzz-TSGroot-warpname]

Yes, but you first need to get there, and I think you and Despot and the guides probably have better things to do then guide people through those mines all the time

Yes, but you first need to get there, and I think you and Despot and the guides probably have better things to do then guide people through those mines all the time
The guides should be able to show you around moria and potd, as that is their job. If you feel like a noob when asking for directions, you can always use the moria model on the freebuild server as a reference. If you need directions for potd, I believe asking a guide is your only option.

Yes we have better things to do, guides will be clueless too for quite some time, so they can't help you either. And of course the moria model will be gone then for long.
You probably should face the truth that either you won't enter Moria, or else will get lost very quickly, stray around for days, slowly getting crazy, and then most likely die in front of your pc screen from dehydration. The truth is hard sometimes, and you can't change it.

You probably should face the truth that either you won't enter Moria, or else will get lost very quickly, stray around for days, slowly getting crazy, and then most likely die in front of your pc screen from dehydration. The truth is hard sometimes, and you can't change it.
Just imagined a week old body lying in front of the screen with writings all over the room: "We cannot get out. The end comes soon. We hear drums, drums in the deep."
:eek:

Enter by the South ;) .

The guides should be able to show you around moria and potd, as that is their job. If you feel like a noob when asking for directions, you can always use the moria model on the freebuild server as a reference. If you need directions for potd, I believe asking a guide is your only option.
What is the warp for that model again?