• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Moria - Stage 2: Idea collecting and fine planning

Question to project leaders! Will there be a contest involving Moria and what would the contest be if so?

Question to project leaders! Will there be a contest involving Moria and what would the contest be if so?
As this project is so big it will indeed inlcude Freebuilds and aswell Contest(s), what topics/locations these will be on is currently being planned. But there will be, as we had it many times before, one or even more contests for very well known and significant things.

Here is a question that has plagued me. I got a chance to explore the old Moria a bit and I was lucky enough to led out by some good folk. While I was exploring though, I didn't see a system of bathrooms in the many living quarters. How would a massive population of Dwarves whisk away all of the poo. A water system or sewer of some sort would probably be implemented. I know out of the blue, but these things keep me up at night x)

Here is a question that has plagued me. I got a chance to explore the old Moria a bit and I was lucky enough to led out by some good folk. While I was exploring though, I didn't see a system of bathrooms in the many living quarters. How would a massive population of Dwarves whisk away all of the poo. A water system or sewer of some sort would probably be implemented. I know out of the blue, but these things keep me up at night x)
That's a topic we almost never have thoroughly solved; there are toilets or similar all over the map, but rather sporadically. It may well be that dwarven living spaces will get something of that sort occasionally, but an entirey canalisation system just for that most likely wont be implemented. Just as most authors leave out that topic, so do we mostly

That's a topic we almost never have thoroughly solved; there are toilets or similar all over the map, but rather sporadically. It may well be that dwarven living spaces will get something of that sort occasionally, but an entirey canalisation system just for that most likely wont be implemented. Just as most authors leave out that topic, so do we mostly
A good point

I've been checking out the third hall and I must say it's really impressive, like all Moria, I can't hardly wait to explore it all once it's finished. However, I have a question concerning the third hall, let's see if I can phrase it understandable enough. In the hall there are several levels or layers: the floor, the main bridge with the ring around it, the upper ring and the topmost bridge. The question is: will there be any way of going between these levels? I've been looking around but I haven't found any staircase or anything that connects them. The topmost bridge I think it's ok if it's separate from the rest, but I think the other three levels should have at least one way of going between them, otherwise the dwarfs would have to do very long walks to get to their destinations. Perhaps this hall as it's a quite exterior one has more a function of "channeling" traffic and that's why it doesn't have connections between levels, but if we assume that Khazad-Dûm was a great city with a lot of dwarf traffic all over the place in it, we should think that the dwarves would have build it so that they could easily get from place to place. As always, this is just an idea :)

I've been checking out the third hall and I must say it's really impressive, like all Moria, I can't hardly wait to explore it all once it's finished. However, I have a question concerning the third hall, let's see if I can phrase it understandable enough. In the hall there are several levels or layers: the floor, the main bridge with the ring around it, the upper ring and the topmost bridge. The question is: will there be any way of going between these levels? I've been looking around but I haven't found any staircase or anything that connects them. The topmost bridge I think it's ok if it's separate from the rest, but I think the other three levels should have at least one way of going between them, otherwise the dwarfs would have to do very long walks to get to their destinations. Perhaps this hall as it's a quite exterior one has more a function of "channeling" traffic and that's why it doesn't have connections between levels, but if we assume that Khazad-Dûm was a great city with a lot of dwarf traffic all over the place in it, we should think that the dwarves would have build it so that they could easily get from place to place. As always, this is just an idea :)
Yeah, it's like having a massive central room of a mall with no escalators or elevators to connect the levels.

I was thinking the bridge of Kazad-dûm should be thinner. The lore says it's width enough for only one man to cross, so, in Minecraft terms, one block wide, at least in its middle. The current one is three blocks wide in its middle, which is too much.

I was thinking the bridge of Kazad-dûm should be thinner. The lore says it's width enough for only one man to cross, so, in Minecraft terms, one block wide, at least in its middle. The current one is three blocks wide in its middle, which is too much.
Usually you would be right, however i think we silently did something with Moria (also in the old version already) which is choosing an entirely differnt scale of the buildings. If you would compare the length of the bridge, or the dimensions of the 2nd hall for example, to overworld cities you would realise that everything is bigger in Moria. Hence I think the current bridge is okay both length and width wise

Well, the scale is bigger, but the Moria WAS gigantic, and in the real, gigantic Moria, that is even bigger than the new MCME Moria, the bridge was still wide enough for only one person. In short, the actual Moria, size 1:1, has a 1 block wide bridge, when the new MCME Moria, size less than 1:1, has a wider bridge, so it's a problem. Plus, I suppose the chairs, torchs, etc. won't be on a different scale...
I don't see any problem with the length, though.

It might look awkwardly long if it were thinner. This is based off of conjecture not observation (I didn't go look at the bridge).

Well, the scale is bigger, but the Moria WAS gigantic, and in the real, gigantic Moria, that is even bigger than the new MCME Moria, the bridge was still wide enough for only one person. In short, the actual Moria, size 1:1, has a 1 block wide bridge, when the new MCME Moria, size less than 1:1, has a wider bridge, so it's a problem. Plus, I suppose the chairs, torchs, etc. won't be on a different scale...
the problem with making it 1 wide, it will look unrealistic and weird, trust me i did the best i could :)

Forget realism and accuracy, we just need it to look fantastic!

"So long as it looks good, it makes sense." - @Glov