• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Movie Night - Can it return?

Should we have movie night back again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kyzcool

Moria Hall Professional
Credits
XP
Hey there everyone, So today, i decided to sit and watch 4 films with about 20 buddys online. So that got me thinking, whats happened to movie night?

I feel that we should get it back up and running, just like we did a few months ago. It was great fun to sit and watch movies together, and i think we should do it! I'm not suggesting a certain time or date, or what movies to watch, but i would love to see it revived again. Feel free to discuss here, and if movie night is decided, to decide films on this thread. ;)

I can't think of any reason against this, but I probably won't be in too many, with all you british people and your time zones. In all seriousness, my schedule is getting insane, but this still seems cool.

The problem with movie night is motivation to actually show up for it: People are excited at first but the numbers dwindle as the months go by, to the point where it was essentially a group of 5ish people who stayed silent the entire movie. If you get it organized again it'd be great, but I'd recommend "fun" movies that don't require a lot of listening to understand. That's the part that made it fun: Everybody commenting and laughing at the scenes, jokingly theorizing what would happen next based on the fact that most of the movies we watched were bad (See: Wickerman) in a good sort of way.

I was around for a few but not all. For the time I was there, I agree with Malk and Dev. It's motivation for people to show up but also having the right sort of films in the calibre. Possibly, if we could, maybe publicise it more officially than last time with some sort of Amusing poster for advertisement.

Have the poster keep an overall theme saying "MCME Movie Night" but with a feature box (inside the poster) changed each time showing "This Week feature 'x' (movie)".

How the films will be chosen, I don't know, guess you guys had that sorted before.

How the films will be chosen, I don't know, guess you guys had that sorted before.
If I remember correctly, it was pretty spur of the moment planning. I think the whole process would benefit from some kind of tally, maybe a thread wherein people may comment a movie, then whoever is running it takes the three most liked from during that week, and we set up a poll using those results?
If that sounds redundant, keep in mind some people will more easily interact with a poll. They're more likely to just vote than trawl through the thread looking for specific movies.

If I had more time, I'd gladly take up organising this, but for the time being I won't be able to do anything immediate.
I could easily make a spreadsheet on everything that is suggested and then a weekly poll on something like straw.poll (for ease of changing it) can be made with the suggestions following through each week unless they get no votes say 3 weeks running :') (These can also be tallied on a spreadsheet for example)
Also there's no harm in having a channel of quiet viewers and talkative viewers which still allows everyone to finish and discuss the film at the same time depending on what the numbers are.
I mean hell, I'm up for watching a film at a normal British time say 9pm GMT+1 and then like a US time which ends up being 2am GMT+1.
But yet again, I'm not entirely certain I can take up planning on this and stuff, but I'll gladly join and help c:

If it took on a more official status, as Iru appears to be suggesting, it would be possible to do one of two things. Either 1)A new thread each week officially labelled, and thought out, or 2)Integration with the Weekly News thing...if we put a fresh poll on each weekly update, with a separate thread for initial voting, that might be the smoothest possible way of getting the community involved. Especially as the Weekly Bulletin or whatever it is, remains fairly high-profile among MCME threads.

Edit: I just realised it's called The MCME Sunday Times.

If it was me, we should set up a system to the stream me and Darth have been watching where everyone just types instead of talking. its also on another website so it might be a bit tricky if we go with that method.

If it was me, we should set up a system to the stream me and Darth have been watching where everyone just types instead of talking. its also on another website so it might be a bit tricky if we go with that method.

See, these are details to be worked out once a basic system is in place. In saying that, different crowds want different things, and assuming it's moderated correctly and each film is dealt with individually, it's possible we could have situations ranging from a moderate tone of voice to complete silence. I personally feel as if a blanket solution is a terrible idea, as it caters only to one crowd.

So what do you guys suggest with movie night, and how can we implement it without making it too much hassle.

My suggestion would be set a time to organise it, and decide the movies on this thread. if anyone wants to add to it such as doing different methods, we should discuss it here.
Read my posts.

Is that an illegal stream? Because we can't promote and provide links to a stream that is illegally sharing copy righted material.

Is that an illegal stream? Because we can't promote and provide links to a stream that is illegally sharing copy righted material.
That's very true. The movies a couple of us have been watching lately were available on Netflix, so we should promote that instead. Since it isn't available in every country, we could simply request those who have no access to movies other than illegally to find a stream on their own, and instead advertise the Netflix one.

If someone streams a movie that they legally have access to, I believe that is legal. You could set it up in some sort of screenshare application. In all honesty, I'm probably going to end up illegally streaming it anyway, but that is a different issue.

Why are people being so soppy about streams? Who cares? I usually watch a stream online and then go out and buy it on DVDs or blue ray, because I like physical copies of things. For example I bought, Children of Men, Silence of the Lambs and Django Unchained after we watched them on streams on the movie night. I just don't see why you are being so uptight about this. Eh.

Why are people being so soppy about streams? Who cares? I usually watch a stream online and then go out and buy it on DVDs or blue ray, because I like physical copies of things. For example I bought, Children of Men, Silence of the Lambs and Django Unchained after we watched them on streams on the movie night. I just don't see why you are being so uptight about this. Eh.

It's more that if MCME officially endorses a movie night, and we go about it illegally, and are seen to be endorsing illegal streams, there MAY be repercussions. Which isn't to say we can't just set up the movie night and not specify a streaming site until people are waiting, in channel, at the time specified.

We can set up a channel very similar to the audio book channel which says what time and film it's going to be. I also starting to think that we should stick to the old method, but the channel has talk power level where people can't talk except for staff and above.

We can set up a channel very similar to the audio book channel which says what time and film it's going to be. I also starting to think that we should stick to the old method, but the channel has talk power level where people can't talk except for staff and above.
Why should people not be allowed to talk at all? I find that silly, you might as well just be off teamspeak to watch it. If people only want to watch the film and talk after they can mute their sound. Some people, like myself like commenting on parts of the film, and it isn't really a problem if there is no dialogue.